Marty

You should have an electrician come over and check the integrity of the
breaker connections to the 'buss'
If the 30 amp is loose it could cause heat to travel up the buss bar and
trip the 100 amp.

Been there

Marty

"Greg O" wrote in message

"KTECH" wrote in message
Thought some of you might add to this/
Came home from work 5:30 PM Monday,no power.
Found 100 amp breaker tripped re-set all OK
Same thing Tues.
Same thing Wed. after checking lines etc and again taking whole house
amps (Max38w/ air on and fridge on.
On way back up I was resetting clocks when I noticed they all stopped at
the same time.After checking my setback thermostat sure as hell main
tripped at program change.Went to held temp. problem solved. Still a
little miffed that 30 amp air breaker held and 100 amp opened.
Frank

It will happen. I assume the 30 amp was for your AC condensing unit?

At a office building we had a 1000 amp, (yes one thousand!), main breaker
trip instead of a 40 amp for a AC unit. The compressor was shorted to
ground. The 40 was a time delay breaker of some sort, and the main was
not. Both breakers saw the short to ground, but the main was designed to
trip faster, so it did.
Greg