Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen remodel mistake

"I've made a terrible mistake and I don't know how to fix it. I've
removed a wall to enlarge my kitchen, which turned out fine. But then
I removed 24 inches from the wall that intersected it. The problem is
that the ceiling on the opposite side is vaulted. This leaves a "hole
(for lack of a better word" which screams 'mistake'. I can't think of
how to solve this. If I put back the 24 inches of wall, it will mess
up my kitchen island plan. I need an answer fast. Please paste the
following link into your browser so you can see what I am talking
about. How about soffit or skylight? Help, somebody help me! I'm
desperate and, no, I didn't hire a contractor. No scolding, I already
know. Thank you so much for any ideas or help you can give. Thank you
ever so much!

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=5d7c9fdf.pbw

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:39:04 -0500, "HeyBub"

"I've made a terrible mistake and I don't know how to fix it.

That's not a mistake - it's a decorative transition.

I like it.

Wow. Bub doesn't like much. You should take him seriously, I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I've made a terrible mistake and I don't know how to fix it. I've
removed a wall to enlarge my kitchen, which turned out fine. But then
I removed 24 inches from the wall that intersected it. The problem is
that the ceiling on the opposite side is vaulted. This leaves a "hole
(for lack of a better word" which screams 'mistake'. I can't think of
how to solve this. If I put back the 24 inches of wall, it will mess
up my kitchen island plan. I need an answer fast. Please paste the
following link into your browser so you can see what I am talking
about. How about soffit or skylight? Help, somebody help me! I'm
desperate and, no, I didn't hire a contractor. No scolding, I already
know. Thank you so much for any ideas or help you can give. Thank you
ever so much!

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=5d7c9fdf.pbw

I would much prefer still pictures so I could study them.

The only view that screamed at me was the one looking in towards the kitchen
where you see the flat ceiling and the slope of the wall. That I think
could be softened with a plant shelf running the length of the wall. That
might also be usable to block the view of the sloped ceiling from the front
of the house towards the back. (or vice-versa)

The view towards the back of the house did not bother me at all.

If you want to post a couple of still pictures in a medium high resolution,
I will try to Photoshop the image to show you what I mean.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
"I've made a terrible mistake and I don't know how to fix it.

That's not a mistake - it's a decorative transition.

I like it.

I agree with Bub. I just don't see a problem there at all. Leave it.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have to agree with some of the guys.. it looks fine to me.
Leads your eye into the room and upwards toward the vaulted ceiling.
I'd leave it too. Interesting ceilings are fun!

Kate

--
______
/l ,[____],

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I have to agree with some of the guys.. it looks fine to me.
Leads your eye into the room and upwards toward the vaulted ceiling.
I'd leave it too. Interesting ceilings are fun!

Think Sistine Chapel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
oups.com...

(snip)

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=5d7c9fdf.pbw

I would much prefer still pictures so I could study them.

The only view that screamed at me was the one looking in towards the
kitchen where you see the flat ceiling and the slope of the wall. That I
think could be softened with a plant shelf running the length of the wall.
That might also be usable to block the view of the sloped ceiling from the
front of the house towards the back. (or vice-versa)

The view towards the back of the house did not bother me at all.

If you want to post a couple of still pictures in a medium high
resolution, I will try to Photoshop the image to show you what I mean.

Yeah, I hate that flash crap, too. I go to web sites for content, not to go
Gee Whiz!. And it takes forever to download, even with broadband. But if
you press the correct button (can't remember which one) on right end of menu
bar, it eventually drops into album mode, and you can grab the pictures.

And for OP- everyone is telling you correctly- it looks fine. You are just
experiencing home remodeling remorse- 'coulda-shoulda-woulda'. As long as
you paint all the visible ceilings the same neutral color, nobody will bat
an eye.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 1:27?pm, wrote:
"I've made a terrible mistake and I don't know how to fix it. I've
removed a wall to enlarge my kitchen, which turned out fine. But then
I removed 24 inches from the wall that intersected it. The problem is
that the ceiling on the opposite side is vaulted. This leaves a "hole
(for lack of a better word" which screams 'mistake'. I can't think of
how to solve this. If I put back the 24 inches of wall, it will mess
up my kitchen island plan. I need an answer fast. Please paste the
following link into your browser so you can see what I am talking
about. How about soffit or skylight? Help, somebody help me! I'm
desperate and, no, I didn't hire a contractor. No scolding, I already
know. Thank you so much for any ideas or help you can give. Thank you
ever so much!

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...3/?action=view ...

I think it looks fine. I think it is a good transition from a
kitchen to another room, and kind of opens the kitchen up. A lot of
times, "mistakes" are hidden inspiration. I wouldn't bother doing
anything to it. If you really want to, though, you could extend the
kitchen ceiling 24 inches to the end of the wall in the next room.

Most of all, I would leave it for now. You might get compliments on
it. Adding that 24 inches to the kitchen ceiling could be done at a
later time without too much disruption. In the meantime, you might
find that you like it the way it is. If you are worried about it
screaming "mistake", don't tell anyone, and see if people look and say
"Look, a mistake"; they will more likely say "That's an intersting
transition", although it is most likely they will say nothing at all.
Remember that just because it wasn't anticipated doesn't mean it won't
work out.