Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crimp-and-tape vs. wirenuts -- for hots?

I am redoing some wiring in our house that involves breaking and
remaking some original connections -- ripping out and replacing boxes by
larger (e.g., two-gang by three-gang). I find that in some cases all the
conductors of the same color have been connected using crimps that have
then been taped over -- even the hots. Is this kosher? Surely wirenuts
provide better insulation than the tape. There could be 220/240 volts
between conductors in some boxes because there are Edison circuits involved.

Should I use wirenuts for the reconnections? Crimps and tape take up
less room.

And, while I think of it, is it OK to have circuits fed from different
breakers in the same box (e.g., outlet and light switch)? One could
assume that since the one circuit is dead (switched off at the panel),
the other is too.

Perce

Electrical question about splicing into one hot wire for a light from a set of hots for 220 circuit Home Repair 10 July 16th 06 03:03 AM
Wirenuts Part II Rusht Limpalless Home Repair 25 January 25th 06 03:37 AM
Wirenuts Dave Home Repair 31 January 23rd 06 08:14 PM
Update Hitachi blowing HOTS [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 July 1st 05 05:39 PM
Hitachi blowing HOTS [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 June 29th 05 02:47 AM