Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Crimp-and-tape vs. wirenuts -- for hots?

On 07/20/07 03:24 pm Doug Miller wrote:

I am redoing some wiring in our house that involves breaking and
remaking some original connections

[...]
Should I use wirenuts for the reconnections? Crimps and tape take up
less room.

Wire nuts are perfectly fine; crimps aren't unless they're made properly, and
- no offense intended - asking the question shows that you don't know how to
make them properly.

I have a Gardner-Bender stripping/crimping/etc. tool that AFAIK is meant
for this job, and I believe I know how to use it. Asking whether it's OK
to do something has nothing to do, IMO, with knowing how to do it. There
are many possibilities:

1. I know it's OK and know how to do it.

2. I know it's OK but don't know how to do it.

3. I don't know whether it's OK and wouldn't know how even if it is OK.

4. I don't know whether it's OK but know how to do it.

I believe I fall into the last category.

Actually I suppose there are yet other possibilities:

5. I know it's not OK but know how to do it and will do it anyway.

6. I haven't a clue but will do it wrong even if it would be OK if I did
it right....

And, while I think of it, is it OK to have circuits fed from different
breakers in the same box (e.g., outlet and light switch)? One could
assume that since the one circuit is dead (switched off at the panel),
the other is too.

It's "OK" in the sense that it is permitted by the NEC, although in my opinion
it should not be -- for exactly the reason you cite. It would be a good idea
to write a warning with a Sharpie on the inside of the cover plate.

Good idea.

Perce