Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crimp-and-tape vs. wirenuts -- for hots?

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
I am redoing some wiring in our house that involves breaking and remaking
some original connections -- ripping out and replacing boxes by larger
(e.g., two-gang by three-gang). I find that in some cases all the
conductors of the same color have been connected using crimps that have
then been taped over -- even the hots. Is this kosher? Surely wirenuts
provide better insulation than the tape. There could be 220/240 volts
between conductors in some boxes because there are Edison circuits
involved.

Should I use wirenuts for the reconnections? Crimps and tape take up less
room.

And, while I think of it, is it OK to have circuits fed from different
breakers in the same box (e.g., outlet and light switch)? One could assume
that since the one circuit is dead (switched off at the panel), the other
is too.

Perce

Addressing the connection method: When I think of crimps, I think of the
type that already have a plastic sleeve over a metal interior. However, I
*have* seen a type that's just a metal sleeve. As far as I know, they are
intended only for joining bare ground wires.

Someone will stumble along here and claim otherwise, but I think electrical
tape is for slobs and hacks who don't know how to make a secure connection,
so they cover things up with tape to hide their incompetence. It also leaves
things gummy. When I want to rewire something, my definition doesn't include
wiping gunk off my fingers constantly because some monkey went nuts with
tape.

I once asked a local inspector and was told it was perfectly legal to use
crimps for house wiring, and was told that it WAS. There are two caveats:

1) You must use a crimp tool that actually shapes the crimp properly. You
won't find such a tool at Home Depot or Lowe's. It'll take some effort. It
requires a channel for the crimp to sit in, and a tooth-like prong on the
opposite jaw. The tooth almost creates a hole in one side of the crimp.

2) If wires might need to be disassembled later, and they're already short,
cutting off an old crimp will obviously make them even shorter. Use wire
nuts in these situations. Have several sizes on hand.