Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Highway tree cutting

When I arrived home from work yesterday, something seemed different.

I looked up and 2 trees on either side of my driveway had all of their
branches cut off up to approx 25'. The trees are close to the road and
I could understand branches being trimmed on the road side, but they cut
all branches, including the ones on my side.

Is this a normal cutting technique? There is no interference to utility
wires, as all wire runs underground across the street from me.

I did contact MD State Highway Administration, and the person I did
speak to said my road was their jurisdiction, but the person who would
know was out of the office, attending a meeting, but assured me they
would return my call to answer any specific questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John Reber wrote:
When I arrived home from work yesterday, something seemed different.

I looked up and 2 trees on either side of my driveway had all of their
branches cut off up to approx 25'. The trees are close to the road and
I could understand branches being trimmed on the road side, but they cut
all branches, including the ones on my side.

Is this a normal cutting technique? There is no interference to utility
wires, as all wire runs underground across the street from me.

I did contact MD State Highway Administration, and the person I did
speak to said my road was their jurisdiction, but the person who would
know was out of the office, attending a meeting, but assured me they
would return my call to answer any specific questions.

Not sure whether you mean the topped the tree at 25' or cleared the
undercanopy up to that height. Given it wasn't for utilities I would
assume it wasn't topped.

Either is a fairly common practice by maintenance although the
abomination topping is fortunately less common than it once was (at
least in enlightened jurisdictions).

If the trees are on the right-of-way, it would be likely they're taking
preemptive action for long term visibility concerns. If they clear only
the bare minimum of low branches required for visibility today, it's not
that long before it may be needed again. If they trim high, takes a lot
longer for it to be a problem again.

Since the trees are in the street side right of way, they're theirs,
effectively, not yours. That they did all of them instead of leaving
them lopsided is probably better, actually than if they hadn't.

Don't think there's much really to talk about...

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Reber wrote:

--

Thanks for a quick response.

I meant they cleared the undercanopy. I was just curious as to why they
did it the way they did. I understand the reason for trimming high,
just didn't know if it was better to do the whole tree or just the road
side, or if it didn't matter either way. None of the other trees along
the road were trimmed like this.

Hi,
IMO, to maintain balanced shape, good to look, good for the tree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know with trimming branches which are hanging over your property from a
neighbor's tree, it can make the tree "lopsided" and the tree can fall. Then
you could be held responsible for damages.

So maybe they were doing it "right" so the tree would not fall at some
future date?

Anyway I think this is good. Around here they just trim for street or around
power lines and the trees look pretty bad. I would think the way they
trimmed your trees would look better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John Reber wrote:
dpb wrote:
John Reber wrote:
[...]

That last is somewhat interesting, though...

Had there been any indication of a impaired vision problem getting
in/out of the driveway (or maybe more importantly, a neighbor's
driveway)? Or, are you near a corner or curve or other restricted
visibility zone.

Sounds to me like somebody made a "concerned citizen" call if it wasn't
a general soire through the neighborhood and the MD DOT thought it
justified so fixed it.

I would say, overall, you should be glad they did it the way they seem
to have done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:57:29 -0400, John Reber
wrote:

When I arrived home from work yesterday, something seemed different.

I looked up and 2 trees on either side of my driveway had all of their
branches cut off up to approx 25'. The trees are close to the road and
I could understand branches being trimmed on the road side, but they cut
all branches, including the ones on my side.

Is this a normal cutting technique? There is no interference to utility
wires, as all wire runs underground across the street from me.

I did contact MD State Highway Administration, and the person I did
speak to said my road was their jurisdiction, but the person who would
know was out of the office, attending a meeting, but assured me they
would return my call to answer any specific questions.

If a windstorm blew the tree over onto the roadway.......

You get the idea, don't you?

What's more important, your view of your tree or the ability of the
fire engine or ambulance to make it to the person in distress?

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Reber wrote:
When I arrived home from work yesterday, something seemed different.

I looked up and 2 trees on either side of my driveway had all of their
branches cut off up to approx 25'. The trees are close to the road and
I could understand branches being trimmed on the road side, but they cut
all branches, including the ones on my side.

Is this a normal cutting technique? There is no interference to utility
wires, as all wire runs underground across the street from me.

I did contact MD State Highway Administration, and the person I did
speak to said my road was their jurisdiction, but the person who would
know was out of the office, attending a meeting, but assured me they
would return my call to answer any specific questions.

It is possible that they are not your trees but trees you planted
outside your property line. You may want to establish the boundary
before complaining further. My line is about 5 feet from the paved
road. I grow grass and have a mailbox over my line which is no big
deal. If the highway dept. damaged trees on your property you may have
a gripe but, also, even if you own the property with the trees, they may
have an easement that allows them to do what they did.
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

valvejob wrote:

If a windstorm blew the tree over onto the roadway.......

You get the idea, don't you?

What's more important, your view of your tree or the ability of the
fire engine or ambulance to make it to the person in distress?

Hmm, my view or some stranger's distress. Let me think...

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Reber wrote:

When I arrived home from work yesterday, something seemed different.

I looked up and 2 trees on either side of my driveway had all of their
branches cut off up to approx 25'. The trees are close to the road and
I could understand branches being trimmed on the road side, but they cut
all branches, including the ones on my side.

Is this a normal cutting technique? There is no interference to utility
wires, as all wire runs underground across the street from me.

I did contact MD State Highway Administration, and the person I did
speak to said my road was their jurisdiction, but the person who would
know was out of the office, attending a meeting, but assured me they
would return my call to answer any specific questions.

Cutting branches off one side would look like crap - mebbe they did you
a favor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Reber" wrote
When I arrived home from work yesterday, something seemed different.

I looked up and 2 trees on either side of my driveway had all of their
branches cut off up to approx 25'. The trees are close to the road and I
could understand branches being trimmed on the road side, but they cut
all branches, including the ones on my side.

Is this a normal cutting technique? There is no interference to utility
wires, as all wire runs underground across the street from me.

I did contact MD State Highway Administration, and the person I did speak
to said my road was their jurisdiction, but the person who would know was
out of the office, attending a meeting, but assured me they would return
my call to answer any specific questions.

I work for a Department of Transportation, in a different state.

The trees you speak of, were no doubt earmarked a potential road hazard.
Those times you see state vehicles just "riding around", are actually
someone out there doing their job, looking for problems or potential
problems.

Professionals trimmed "your" tree. Count your blessings that your tax
dollars are at work.