dean

Default How can I lift a tree trunk for easier cutting?

Hi all,

Anyone got tips on how to lift a tree off the ground for easier
chainsawing? I'm sort of talking about trees that are in a parallel
stack and impossible to roll over. I was considering cutting a notch in
the end and using a high lift jack to lift up one end, but I've never
tried this before (till tomorrow anyway).

-Dean

Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Anyone got tips on how to lift a tree off the ground for easier
chainsawing? I'm sort of talking about trees that are in a parallel
stack and impossible to roll over. I was considering cutting a notch in
the end and using a high lift jack to lift up one end, but I've never
tried this before (till tomorrow anyway).

-Dean

Pry one end with a long bar or a 2 x 4, put a block under and start cutting.
Repeat as needed. Sometimes you can get under the center easier and slip in
a block of some sort. Just watch the fingers when you do. Push it in from
the end, never reach under.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

tom

dean wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone got tips on how to lift a tree off the ground for easier
chainsawing? I'm sort of talking about trees that are in a parallel
stack and impossible to roll over. I was considering cutting a notch in
the end and using a high lift jack to lift up one end, but I've never
tried this before (till tomorrow anyway).

-Dean Google "cant hook" or "peavey".

L. M. Rappaport

On 24 Sep 2005 20:46:10 -0700, "dean" wrote
(with possible editing):

Hi all,

Anyone got tips on how to lift a tree off the ground for easier
chainsawing? I'm sort of talking about trees that are in a parallel
stack and impossible to roll over. I was considering cutting a notch in
the end and using a high lift jack to lift up one end, but I've never
tried this before (till tomorrow anyway).

-Dean

Use a cant hook.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Jarvexel

Up here in canada where we really know how to cut firewood unlike the stupid
useless liar american know it alls, we use a peavey or log hook.
We also raise the prices of oil and gas in hopes of freezing out our
bigmouthed idiot neighbours to the south. LOL, we build the SUV's they are
hanging themselves with.
"L. M. Rappaport" wrote in message
On 24 Sep 2005 20:46:10 -0700, "dean" wrote
(with possible editing):

Hi all,

Anyone got tips on how to lift a tree off the ground for easier
chainsawing? I'm sort of talking about trees that are in a parallel
stack and impossible to roll over. I was considering cutting a notch in
the end and using a high lift jack to lift up one end, but I've never
tried this before (till tomorrow anyway).

-Dean

Use a cant hook.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

dean

I have a peavey, about 42 inches long I think, and while it has some
small use in logs around 6 inches wide, its useless for anything
larger. Which is why I was asking. I used a hi lift jack today to help
out, but jacking up the log. It worked ok, to stuff another log under
it.

WHat I want is a large tripod device with a long horizontal beam, and a
skidding tongs on each end, and a way to lift up the whole tree a
couple of feed. Wouldn't that be nice?!!? (But it would prob weigh in
more than the trailer)

Dean

Goedjn

On 25 Sep 2005 20:26:58 -0700, "dean" wrote:

I have a peavey, about 42 inches long I think, and while it has some
small use in logs around 6 inches wide, its useless for anything
larger. Which is why I was asking. I used a hi lift jack today to help
out, but jacking up the log. It worked ok, to stuff another log under
it.

WHat I want is a large tripod device with a long horizontal beam, and a
skidding tongs on each end, and a way to lift up the whole tree a
couple of feed. Wouldn't that be nice?!!? (But it would prob weigh in
more than the trailer)

How big are these "trees", length and diameter?
and are they de-branched allready?
I assume you're talking about something bigger
than just 8' cordwood.

dean

Trees that are 1 to 2 feet diameter, and maybe 20-30 feet long,
branches already removed.

No

A log jack will do. Here is a link to 3 useful tools. Google for cheaper
versions.
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...oductID=106863

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Anyone got tips on how to lift a tree off the ground for easier
chainsawing? I'm sort of talking about trees that are in a parallel
stack and impossible to roll over. I was considering cutting a notch in
the end and using a high lift jack to lift up one end, but I've never
tried this before (till tomorrow anyway).

-Dean

Stormin Mormon

If you lift one end, you'll have to chainsaw from the bottom.

I'd be thinking prybar, and some thing to slip under the log, a couple feet
from the end.

So that the weight of the cut piece is trying to open the cut, instead of
trying to pinch your saw.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Anyone got tips on how to lift a tree off the ground for easier
chainsawing? I'm sort of talking about trees that are in a parallel
stack and impossible to roll over. I was considering cutting a notch in
the end and using a high lift jack to lift up one end, but I've never
tried this before (till tomorrow anyway).

-Dean

dean

Just think about lifting it in the middle, a foot off the ground. Think
of sawing off a couple of feet on each end alternately. Its a logger's
dream!

dean

I have one of those. Its won't budge anything worth the time to cut.

No

Dean - See PICT0303.JPG on this web page....
http://www.peppel.com/katrina/page0003.html

I did a lot of chainsaw work after Katrina. In this picture we got TWO saws
bound up and needed a 3rd to free them!

Saw on the left was fist to bind up. Initially it looked like this tree was
under pressure from a tree and branches to the left and the root ball on the
right so I started from the top. I was wrong and before I could pull the saw
it bound. Second saw, the one on the right, came in from the bottom. That
cut should have been proceeded by a relief cut on the top first, but wasn't.
You can see the result. We brought in a third saw and cut just to the right
of the second saw to free the first two saws.

To do what you described we used a bobcat with pallet forks!
See http://www.peppel.com/katrina/page0006.html pictures PICT0382.JPG
through PICT0386.JPG for how we used a bobcat to get a tree off a roof!

Something cheap, that can be handled by one person, and would fit in the
back of an SUV would be ideal! Invent something.

P.S. - Those pictures began uploading to the net 9/27/05 at 9:30AM. if you
do not see the images try back a few minutes later and they will be there.

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just think about lifting it in the middle, a foot off the ground. Think
of sawing off a couple of feet on each end alternately. Its a logger's
dream!

Goedjn

On 26 Sep 2005 10:16:29 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Trees that are 1 to 2 feet diameter, and maybe 20-30 feet long,
branches already removed.

If I was trying to work something that size by myself, and there
were enough of them in one place, I'd think seriously about
getting a block and tackle, and setting up a pole hoist,
but that would mean spending most of the first weekend rigging,
and I don't know if there's enough of them to make it worthwhile.

Failing that, something to grip the end of the log and a
bumper-jack will get one end up far enough so that you can
then shove something under the log mid-way.

--Goedjn

No

dean wrote:
[...]

(Sorry of this is a dupe post, I'm having newsserver troubles)

i use a spud bar to roll of lift log and slip a small log under
trunk.put a small log beside trunk and use bar as a lever.baileys.com
has log rollers with a hook on em to roll logs onto a smaller log /.
lucas

Stormin Mormon

Good reminder. I do own two saws, and have h ad one stuck at some time or
other. The reminder is to bring both sas, even if I only expect to need one.

As it happens, I've got some saw work lined up for some time in the next few
days, and i'll bring both saws.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.