Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Side by Side Freezer Problems

Last night we noticed the Ice-cream from the freezer was soft. In further
inspection we
found the bread, OJ and few other things in the freezer also soft. The ice
in the ice maker
was also sticking together. The Freezer door is getting pushed open when the
refrigerator
side gets closed. So we push the freezer door closed but it doesn't seem
take much effort to
open when we go to open it again. I think the freezer itself is running
fine. It is cold in there.
We have it set to the highest setting (9)(turned it up last night from 7)
and pushed the door
closed last night before going to bed to see it the ice-cream, bread and oj
would freeze back
up. They were still soft this morning Will a bad gasket cause the thawing
of these items? Even
after pushing the door closed? What are some things we could do to 'test' it
to make sure it
is a gasket problem?
If the gasket is bad would we feel cool air coming out from around the door?
Cause we don't.
The refrigerator is only 5 years old. We are hoping it is just a gasket and
not failing freezer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
[...]

First of all, throw the thawed stuff out. Saving $10 isn't worth food
poisoning.
Now with the freezer largely empty, does it still open freely?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The freezer is now mostly empty. It opens easier than the refrigerator side.
There is some resistance but not much,
in comparison to the refrig. side, the refrig. side needs a bit more tug to
open it. The freezer side will pop open a slight bit when the refrig. side
is closed normally.
(normal around here is a slight slamming as oppose to gentle closing).
I hear normal sounds in the freezer i.e. a fan running. I cleaned out behind
it and under it. It wasn't too dirty since I do clean around it every few
months or so. There is no water any where. There is naturally some
condensation around the ice maker (well not naturally but being as we are
having some thawing issues it is natural to have the condensation due to
loss of cooling).
What else could I try....To confirm or deny a bad gasket?

"Toller" wrote in message

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
The freezer is now mostly empty. It opens easier than the refrigerator
side. There is some resistance but not much,
in comparison to the refrig. side, the refrig. side needs a bit more tug
to open it. The freezer side will pop open a slight bit when the refrig.
side is closed normally.
(normal around here is a slight slamming as oppose to gentle closing).
I hear normal sounds in the freezer i.e. a fan running. I cleaned out
behind it and under it. It wasn't too dirty since I do clean around it
every few months or so. There is no water any where. There is naturally
some condensation around the ice maker (well not naturally but being as we
are having some thawing issues it is natural to have the condensation due
to loss of cooling).
What else could I try....To confirm or deny a bad gasket?

When you leave it alone for a while, what temperature does it reach?
I doubt it is a bad gasket; it probably just isn't cooling adequately.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Goldlexus wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a door adjustment/alignment problem first. I would assume
these are magnetic gaskets on a freezer as recent as that I don't think
there were anything else still in use.

If the door is closed, to test if the gasket is sealing, take a piece of
paper about and inch or two wide and try to slide it between the gasket
and the face of the freezer/fridge. It you can, the gasket isn't
sealing. Then you can investigate the "why". May be the hinges had
worn letting the door sag or similar. Maybe there's something in the
way keeping it from closing entirely. Could be ice built up or similar.

Are you sure you the setting went colder, not warmer? Some are easy to
misread?

If not, you may have a seal problem, but unless it is really bad, would
expect it means you have other problem(s) as well.

Have you pulled it and cleaned coils, swept underneath, made sure
defrost cycle isn't running continuously, etc., etc., ...?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goldlexus wrote:
[...]

We have an old GE side-by-side. If we open the doors at the same time,
they will hit each other. They are also not straight and level...one a
tad higher in center than other. The hinge thingy on top is adjustable,
so perhaps that is what needs to be done. I believe we had the doors
off to move ours in, but can't recall. Allegedly, a test of the seal is
to close the door on a piece of paper and see if it is snug or slides
out. Having a lot of stuff in the refrig. door also affects how ours
closes. Time for a new one )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Goldlexus wrote:

[...]

P.S. There is no "just a gasket" .. they cost half as much as a new fridge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your joking right? A door gasket is only about $50-$60 dollars, hardly half
the cost of a new side by side.

"Norminn" wrote in message
ink.net...

P.S. There is no "just a gasket" .. they cost half as much as a new
fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goldlexus wrote:

Last night we noticed the Ice-cream from the freezer was soft. In
further inspection we found the bread, OJ and few other things in the
freezer also soft. The ice in the ice maker was also sticking
together.

All the cooling comes from the freezer, so if it's warming up, the
refrigerator side is probably too warm. A refrigerator thermometer
makes it a lot easier to see how cold it really is.

The Freezer door is getting pushed open when the refrigerator side
gets closed. So we push the freezer door closed but it doesn't seem
take much effort to open when we go to open it again.

That's not unusual, but usually not a problem.

I think the freezer itself is running fine. It is cold in there. We
have it set to the highest setting (9)(turned it up last night from 7)
and pushed the door closed last night before going to bed to see it
the ice-cream, bread and oj would freeze back up. They were still soft
this morning

Bad sign. It's not cooling enough. Years back, I had a GE side-by-side
that did the same thing, for no good reason. A repair place told me it
was common, and often due to leaks in the cooling system. I replaced
the GE, and that place spent a while trying unsuccessfully to repair it.

On another refrigerator, I've had the coils in the back of the freezer
choke with ice due to a thermostat failure, which required a full
defrost and a new thermostat.

Will a bad gasket cause the thawing of these items? Even after pushing
the door closed? What are some things we could do to 'test' it to make
sure it is a gasket problem? If the gasket is bad would we feel cool
air coming out from around the door? Cause we don't.

It really doesn't sound like the gasket. Come to think of it, that GE
refrigerator also had a problem with the light switch, which wouldn't
turn off the light with the door closed. You could take out the bulb
and see.

The refrigerator is only 5 years old. We are hoping it is just a
gasket and not failing freezer.

I would say that if you've got 5 years of use out of a GE appliance,
you're doing better than average. Maybe just me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote
Maybe there's something in the
way keeping it from closing entirely. Could be ice built up or similar.

==
That's what ours was--Ice built up on the floor/front of the freezer
preventing the door
from properly sealing. It came open every time the fridge door was closed. I
cleared the
drain tube and all is well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have moved most all food to our freezer in the garage until we get this
working as it should.
There is nothing in the way of the door properly shutting. There wasn't
before from what I could
tell. No ice build up as far as I can see. Took the ice drawer out to make
sure nothing was behind it,
nothing was there. The Ice maker is making ice.
I have a question about normal noises. As far as I can tell the refrigerator
always has some kind of hum
going, right?
Also I checked the door light switch, it is turning off the light when the
door is closed. I can see that when
the door is just about closed all the way.
I will have to pick up a thermometer to see what the actually temp is
inside.
I really don't want to call a technician to come out, especially if it is
something we can fix.

"Gini" wrote in message

"dpb" wrote
Maybe there's something in the
way keeping it from closing entirely. Could be ice built up or similar.

==
That's what ours was--Ice built up on the floor/front of the freezer
preventing the door
from properly sealing. It came open every time the fridge door was closed.
I cleared the
drain tube and all is well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goldlexus" wrote
I have moved most all food to our freezer in the garage until we get this
working as it should.
There is nothing in the way of the door properly shutting. There wasn't
before from what I could
tell. No ice build up as far as I can see.

==
OK--But...when our ice was built up, we couldn't see it, either.
I found it by running my hand over the bottom of the freezer compartment.
Heh, hate to admit it, but the ice was clear and my eyes are kinda bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are talking about outside under the Freezer side? If so I haven't looked
there. I looked inside the freezer
in and around the ice maker. We had ice caught up behind there once that
stopped the freezer door from shutting, so
checked there again incase that was the problem. It wasn't
"Gini" wrote in message

"Goldlexus" wrote
I have moved most all food to our freezer in the garage until we get this
working as it should.
There is nothing in the way of the door properly shutting. There wasn't
before from what I could
tell. No ice build up as far as I can see.

==
OK--But...when our ice was built up, we couldn't see it, either.
I found it by running my hand over the bottom of the freezer compartment.
Heh, hate to admit it, but the ice was clear and my eyes are kinda bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
[...]

No, take a dollar bill around the door with it closed and see if there's
resistance on it all the way around. Make sure there's no obvious tears or
cuts in the seal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

The refrigerator is only 5 years old. We are hoping it is just a
gasket and not failing freezer.

I would say that if you've got 5 years of use out of a GE appliance,
you're doing better than average. Maybe just me.

I got 5 yrs and 2 mos out of a GE motor in a Sears fridge; it had a 5
year guarantee. This fridge is probably over 20 years, want it to die
but it won't )

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goldlexus" wrote
Are talking about outside under the Freezer side?

==
No. I'm suggesting you run your hand across the bottom of the inside of the
freezer section to make sure there isn't a buildup of clear ice there that
you can't easily see.
Hope this helps.

"Gini" wrote

"Goldlexus" wrote
I have moved most all food to our freezer in the garage until we get
this working as it should.
There is nothing in the way of the door properly shutting. There wasn't
before from what I could
tell. No ice build up as far as I can see.

==
OK--But...when our ice was built up, we couldn't see it, either.
I found it by running my hand over the bottom of the freezer compartment.
Heh, hate to admit it, but the ice was clear and my eyes are kinda bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh okay than there is no ice. The Freezer seems to be doing it's job now.
The OJ was frozen this morning. Got a temp gage and it is reading about 5
below zero at the moment, the fridge part is at about 47 degrees. I don't
know what has changed. But one thing that is happening now is when we open
the freezer and close it we hear a trickle/gurgle type of noise and sort of
a draining sound. Any ideas what that is?

"Gini" wrote in message

"Goldlexus" wrote
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
Oh okay than there is no ice. The Freezer seems to be doing it's job now.
The OJ was frozen this morning. Got a temp gage and it is reading about 5
below zero at the moment, the fridge part is at about 47 degrees.

47 is not good!!!!

0-5 F for freezer
36-38 F for fresh food

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goldlexus" wrote
Oh okay than there is no ice. The Freezer seems to be doing it's job now.
The OJ was frozen this morning. Got a temp gage and it is reading about 5
below zero at the moment, the fridge part is at about 47 degrees. I don't
know what has changed. But one thing that is happening now is when we open
the freezer and close it we hear a trickle/gurgle type of noise and sort
of a draining sound. Any ideas what that is?

==
You might have a partially blocked drain tube. There is a panel in the lower
rear of the freezer
compartment wall that is held in place with screws. You can remove that
panel and pour warm water
in the drain hole to clear it. If water doesn't clear it, you
can push a length of thin diameter aquarium tubing through the hole to
remove a stubborn blockage.
==