backyard farmer

Default side by side refridgerator freezer problem

within a day or two of a power outage (lasted about 2 hrs) the freezer
side of my side by side freezer begain to slowly thaw. The
refridgerator side is cooling, but not as well as it did. Freezer now
stays at about 33-35 deg F. I cleaned the condenser coils. I hear the
compressor kick in, but it is only cooling and not very well at that.
Is there anything I can do to check the compressor before I call the
Sears repair folks?

Thanks for your help!
Backyard Farmer

Edwin Pawlowski

"backyard farmer" wrote in message
oups.com...
within a day or two of a power outage (lasted about 2 hrs) the freezer
side of my side by side freezer begain to slowly thaw. The
refridgerator side is cooling, but not as well as it did. Freezer now
stays at about 33-35 deg F. I cleaned the condenser coils. I hear the
compressor kick in, but it is only cooling and not very well at that.
Is there anything I can do to check the compressor before I call the
Sears repair folks?

Thanks for your help!
Backyard Farmer

It may be ice up inside. If the partially thawed, then re-froze. there
could have been excessive moisture that is now frozen and blocking the coils
inside or the fan.

backyard farmer

I have been researching a bit more. Glad there are a lot of resources
out there willing to assist. I am wondering now if it could be the
defrost timer. I will be checking the back side of the freezer, I
haven't pulled off any of the back panels to check the evaporator.
I'lll also take a look at the coils. I will also try something
described in one answer to a similar problem.....feel the compressor
outlet line....see if it is hot. I am not quite ready to call in for
the professionals yet.
By the way, the refridgerator is a Kenmore 25', made by Amana.
Thanks
Backyard Farmer

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

Make, model#, approx age of the refrigerator?

within a day or two of a power outage (lasted about 2 hrs) the freezer
side of my side by side freezer begain to slowly thaw.

May not have anything to do with the not cooling.

The
refridgerator side is cooling, but not as well as it did. Freezer now
stays at about 33-35 deg F. I cleaned the condenser coils. I hear the
compressor kick in, but it is only cooling and not very well at that.
Is there anything I can do to check the compressor before I call the
Sears repair folks?

Some simple things to check for....
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

backyard farmer

I have pulled the panels off the back and the panels off of the back
wall in the freezer.
Compressor line is "hot", compressor cycles and runs smooth and is
quiet generally. It is loader than typical now since I have the fridge
pulled out into the middle of the kitchen.
On the evaporator coils, there are approximately 11 "rows of coils" two
deep. The top couple are separated from the bottom by some insulating
foam. There is a light "snow" frost forming at the top couple of coils
(above some "foam" barriers) and essentially wet with condensation on
the 8 or 9 coils rows at the bottom. Water is freely dripping to catch
tray at the bottom, then through a hole to the evaporator pan at the
bottom of the refridgerator (I guess).
Observation:
The panel I pulled from covering the evaporator coils did have at the
bottom, where the louvers are, some sort of label heated onto the
surface. The defrost coil was immediately to the inside of the cover,
probably makes sense. I don't believe all of the louvers were covered.
Backyard Farmer

mm

On 16 Oct 2005 07:56:00 -0700, "backyard farmer"
wrote:

I have been researching a bit more. Glad there are a lot of resources
out there willing to assist. I am wondering now if it could be the
defrost timer.

For years, my mother had trouble with her Crosley? Refigerator Freezer
with automatic defrosting. Finally, the last year we had the thing,
I figured out that she was supposed to set the clock for what time it
was then, and the defrosting would happen at 3 or 4 in the morning.
Instead she kept setting the time for when she wanted it to defrost,
which was 3 or 4 in the morning. So I guess it defrosted at whatever
time she set the time.

It actually had heaters in the freezer walls to melt the frost, which
went to the pan at the bottom and evaporated, and this was made in
1957 or so. Worked fine except for that timing problem.

I will be checking the back side of the freezer, I
haven't pulled off any of the back panels to check the evaporator.
I'lll also take a look at the coils. I will also try something
described in one answer to a similar problem.....feel the compressor
outlet line....see if it is hot. I am not quite ready to call in for
the professionals yet.
By the way, the refridgerator is a Kenmore 25', made by Amana.
Thanks
Backyard Farmer

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

guttering problem and resulting wet bricks Jennifer Moore UK diy 8 October 24th 05 06:32 AM
MDS-501 problem Yde Electronics Repair 5 October 16th 05 09:51 PM
"Groaning" Ice Cube Maker in GE Side by Side [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 1st 05 06:10 PM
Water Pump / Pressure Tank Problem !!!!!! James Nipper Home Repair 9 June 28th 04 02:13 AM
Water Pump / Pressure Tank Problem !!!!!! James Nipper Home Ownership 6 June 28th 04 02:13 AM