Yde

Default MDS-501 problem

NOSPAM schreef in bericht
. ..
It's probably the micro switch not detecting the MiniDisc:
http://members.tripod.com/~snnake11/

Jos

"Yde" schreef in bericht
. ..
Hello,

I've bought a goodlooking second-hand mds-501. The minidisk has one
problem. When starting for the first time the unit won't accept the disc.
The disc starts turning but the laserunit does not move.
I've to place it vertical on the side of the powerbutton. When he
recognices it I can place it horizontal again. After playing or recording
the first minidisk the problem seems to be over. I can play or record for
hours without a problem but the next day the problem is back.
Problems with a switch?? Heath problem. (when the unit is warm after a
while it works perfectly )
Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance. Yde

Thanks for your reply. But the minidisc is detected. The disc starts
spinning but the laser doesn't move a litlle, what he does when succeeding
reading the TOC.
Only when the machine is cold he refuges to read the disc. Later on it works
perfectly.
I've treated the switch beside the laserunit with kontaktspray. I've cleaned
the laser. But nothing works. The only thing I can think of is that the
laser has not got the right temperature at the start.
More suggestions?

Thanks

Yde
The Netherlands

Mark D. Zacharias

"Yde" wrote in message
. ..

NOSPAM schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

Just to be clear. Is this a 510 (MDS-JE510) or a 501 (which I haven't heard
of)?

Mark Z.

Yde

"Mark D. Zacharias" schreef in bericht
news

"Yde" wrote in message
. ..

NOSPAM schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

It's a MDS-501. This was the second minidiskrecorder from Sony. It was the
follow-up of the MDS-101.
This recorder is better build and more reliable than the MDS-JE series.
It was the first high-end minidisk.

Yde

John in Detroit

It may be the laser is sticking and when you put it in the position you
cite as working that gravity is providing just enough "Assist" to get it
unstuck... This could be due to old lubrication on the slide.

However, I assure you the above is 100% speculation (My best guess) and
may well be nothing more

Just remember, My advice is worth exactlly what you paid for it :-) and
your money has already been refunded

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
"Yde" wrote in message
. ..

NOSPAM schreef in bericht
z...

It's probably the micro switch not detecting the MiniDisc:
http://members.tripod.com/~snnake11/

Jos

"Yde" schreef in bericht
. nl...

--
John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
"Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"
Mark D. Zacharias

"Yde" wrote in message
. ..

"Mark D. Zacharias" schreef in bericht
news

"Yde" wrote in message
. ..

NOSPAM schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

If it's a different mech than the 510, which seems likely, then it's also
likely it doesn't suffer from the same switch problems as a previous poster
had thought.

Mark Z.

Yde

"John in Detroit" schreef in bericht
.. .
It may be the laser is sticking and when you put it in the position you
cite as working that gravity is providing just enough "Assist" to get it
unstuck... This could be due to old lubrication on the slide.

However, I assure you the above is 100% speculation (My best guess) and
may well be nothing more

Just remember, My advice is worth exactlly what you paid for it :-) and
your money has already been refunded

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
"Yde" wrote in message
. ..

NOSPAM schreef in bericht
iz...

[...]

I cleaned the microswitches and treated them with kontaktspray.
But still the minidisc has the same problem. After 10 minutes everything is
normal. Has anybody any other solutions?? After 10 minutes it works
perfectly.Why not in the beginning??
Speed of the spindlemotor??
He accepts some discs better than other ones,

Thanks in advance

Yde