Lawrence Milbourn

Default Outside drain problem... Who is responsible?

"guv" wrote in message

Its just come to my attention that I have a drain problem at the front
of my house.

In the garage I have a washing machine plumbed in. (All the waste
pipework was already there when we bought the house 10 years ago.)

The waste is fed into a drain which is just outside, which is also fed
by the downstairs loo and wash basin. The drain itself is fully
covered and sealed. ie it cant overflow at the drain itself. The
pipework enters under the surface into the drain, which is all
enclosed.

Anyway, it was noticed when the washing mashine started to overflow
the inside waste pipe.

I just thought at first the U bend was blocked. (Its in an awkward
position and only accessed by moving a fridge freezer etc.)

I used some of that Mr Muscle U bend stuff, and cleared that as
instruced after an hour with boiling water. I continued to pour water
down after and it seemed OK. Used the washing machine and
unfortunately it overflowed again.

So today I tried some stronger stuff. (It says its sulphuric acid!)

Poured water down, and continued to do so. Unfortunately in the end,
the overflow pipe just filled back up. It does drain, just slowly.

Anyway, before I pull the stuff out to replace the pipework, I decided
to look at that drain outside.

When I lifted the cover, it was full (and very smelly!)

I proded around with a stick, but couldnt feel anything - literally. I
was expecting to feel a round pipe inside that I might be able to
dislodge some of the crap.

So, I removed as much of the water (if thats what you call it!) and
have poured some more of this strong stuff down in hope it clears it.

What I would like to know is if this drain is actually my
responsibility given its on y property? I'm thinking it is - but to
complicate matters, about 2 years ago, there was roadworks outside.
About a month after the workman left, the centre of the road collapsed
and lots of water escaped. (Not sure if this was mains water or what
it was!) But that fact has got me thinking that these workman may have
caused this problem I now have, which has obviously been getting worse
over time.

I agree, I might be clutching at straws with this, but one thing is
very certain. The road has got busier and now used by larger
articulated lorrys. When these pass, the house physically shakes. I
dont mean just vibrate - its much stronger than that. It just makes me
think theyve left leaving an ongoing problem.

Any thoughts on the legal side of this, as well as the possible
implications of these roadworks?

Also - am I going about fixing the problem correctly - or time to call
in the professionals?

Cheers in advance....

--
www.senaction.com

I've had similar problems from time to time. I suspected mine was due to a
problem on the main road but backing up onto my property. I called Severn
Trent and they sent a team out to investigate. They did say that if the
problem was on my side of the boundary, I would have to pay. Anyway, it was
on their side and has been on their side the subsequent four or five times
it has happened. The last time it was a woollen cardigan stuck on a pipe
join that had a bit of a step in it. The chap told me that they wouldn't
have half the problems if people didn't use as much washing powder. He
reckoned that it was this that made all the other bits stick together and
block the pipes. They have always responded quickly but I suppose that is
because the drain which overflows is in the middle of my front lawn which
slopes down to the brook which runs through the village.

Best of Luck.

Lawrence

Mike

"guv" wrote in message

Its just come to my attention that I have a drain problem at the front
of my house.

What I would like to know is if this drain is actually my
responsibility given its on y property?

Unless there is a deed showing somebody else as the riperian owner of the
drain, you are responsible.

Owain

guv wrote:
What I would like to know is if this drain is actually my
responsibility given its on y property?

It depends where the blockage is - not where the manhole is. The manhole
in your garden is almost certainly your responsibility.

There is probably a physical obstruction of the pipe and trying to push
down from the flooded manhole will probably only further compact the
blockage. The best course of action is probably to find the manhole
downstream, which should be dry, and poke rods up till it hits blockage.
That will give you the approximate location of the blockage and you can
take it from there.

If using rods, do not let them become disconnected in the pipe.

Owain

chris French

In message , guv
writes
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:36:37 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

Its just come to my attention that I have a drain problem at the front
of my house.

What I would like to know is if this drain is actually my
responsibility given its on y property?

Unless there is a deed showing somebody else as the riperian owner of the
drain, you are responsible.

OK thanks. I did say I thought it was - though the roadworks part does
bring in some doubt as to where the blockage actually is!

It could be a problem out in the main drain in the road. Equally likely
ti could be a problem of blockage further down the drain on your
property. Failure to clear it with the 'pour down the drain' stuff
doesn't mean much, these are meant for clearing grease etc from waste
pipes etc. n really blockages from bigger drains.

The way to really is to use some drain rods -I imagine you can hire
them. These are flexible rods that you poke down the drain to dislodge a
blockage. If you can get it through you length of the drain then you can
tell if the blockage is outside your property

--
Chris French, Leeds
Tony Williams

In article ,
guv wrote:

OK thanks. I did say I thought it was - though the roadworks part
does bring in some doubt as to where the blockage actually is!

Since it is a partial blockage you can do a rough
guesstimate of where the blockage is.

Leave the drain to drain away overnight.
Throw buckets of water down the drain, until it
back-fills. Count the buckets used. Wildly guess
about 2 buckets per metre, depending on the dia
of the pipeworks.

Since the output from your w/machine is enough
to backfill then the blockage will not be far
down the pipe. Maybe a simple rodding will
send the problem away. Perhaps consider buying
a set of rods and doing it yourself.

--
Tony Williams.

Nick Atty

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:35:25 +0000, chris French
wrote:

The way to really is to use some drain rods -I imagine you can hire
them. These are flexible rods that you poke down the drain to dislodge a
blockage. If you can get it through you length of the drain then you can
tell if the blockage is outside your property

Although a cheap set doesn't cost much.

You may well have another manhole on the edge of your property, perhaps
buried in a hedge (we have). Lifting that will show you where the
blockage is.

If you have, and the blockage is on your side, things become (slightly)
more pleasant, as you can rod from the empty end. Put an old rag tied
firmly on a piece of string into the outlet from here, to stop anything
you dislodge from just blocking the next stage, and rod away. There
will suddenly be the most disgusting slurping noise, and noisome filth
will appear. Fish around with your drain rods and remove anything that
looks likely to cause a blockage, then pull out the "plug". Flush with
lots of water.

Before you start:
a) get ready a supported bin bag to put stuff into without touching it.
b) wear the oldest clothes you've got, and either prepare to put them
straight into a hot wash, or to bin them. Include gloves or (better)
gauntlets in this.
c) have someone ready to run a hot bath for you the moment the slurping
starts.
d) don't eat.

This is a disgusting job that I've done twice now. When you come out
of your bath, look up the cost of hiring someone to do the job, and
you'll feel a bit better.

Finally, never never never never flush away anything that is supposed to
be flushable other than normal loo paper. Do not trust anything the
green frog thinks. I speak from bitter experience.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Nick Atty

wrote:

The way to really is to use some drain rods -I imagine you can hire
them. These are flexible rods that you poke down the drain to dislodge a
blockage. If you can get it through you length of the drain then you can
tell if the blockage is outside your property

Although a cheap set doesn't cost much.

And, if you do this, don't do what a collegue of mine did. Always,
always turn them the right way, to keep the nuts tightened.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Andrew McKay

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:48:23 +0000, guv wrote:

Its just come to my attention that I have a drain problem at the front
of my house.

The liquid stuff you chuck down these waste pipes is generally not
very good at shifting a blockage in my experience. I offer the
following advice only to add to the general advice, you probably
wouldn't want to rush out and buy everything from scratch.

An excellent way of dealing with deposits which build up over a period
of time (this does sound like the problem you are faced with) is to
use a pressure washer with a drain cleaning accessory. You can push
that drain cleaning hose into the waste pipe to where the blockage is
(the blockage is likely to be some sort of fatty deposit I would
think), and the high water pressure will blast it away.

However, a real downside for you here is that the pressure washer is
likely to backflow into the garage, so you need to be inventive about
sealing that gap so that any additional pressure forces the pressure
down towards the public sewer and away from the house. You might be
able to stuff some rags around the high pressure hose after you have
fed it into the waste pipe. You would need to keep your eye on this
whilst the pressure is on because a high pressure washer does what it
says on the box - it creates a lot of pressure which has to go
somewhere.

I had one job not entirely dissimilar to this last year. Problem was
that the customers external drain was overflowing into her car parking
area because the underground pipes had several years worth of leaves
blocking it up. Quick trip to Focus DIY to buy the pressure washer and
drain cleaning kit and that problem was resolved quickly.

Pressure washers are handy for cleaning patios too

Andrew

David W.E. Roberts

"Lawrence Milbourn" wrote in message
snip
What I would like to know is if this drain is actually my
responsibility given its on y property?

snip
I've had similar problems from time to time. I suspected mine was due to

problem on the main road but backing up onto my property. I called Severn
Trent and they sent a team out to investigate. They did say that if the
problem was on my side of the boundary, I would have to pay.

snip

I was wondering about this after a 'minor' problem - posted a few days back.

Our drains (serving our property only) run out under the road before joining
another pipe (which I don't think is the main sewer - I think it runs down
from our neighbours and then on into the main sewer).

So part of the run beyond our boundary and under the pavement and road is
dedicated to us alone.

Are we responsible to our boundary, or to the first junction?

One reason I ask is that about 6 months ago the water board came along and
asked if they could lift our manhole.
Our neighbour was complaining his sewer was blocked.
They said that if it was their responsibility then we would be backing up as
well (implying that their responsibility started at the main sewer, beyond
the join between our pipe and the neighbour(s)).

If you are truly responsible only to your boundary then all you have to do
is push the blockage along a bit then get the water company to sort it out.

Hopefully this is true :-)

Cheers
Dave R

nog

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:35:30 +0000, Andrew McKay wrote:

Pressure washers are handy for cleaning patios too

And wheely bins. :-)

Stuart

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:40:54 +0000, guv wrote:

Failing that, the rods being mentioned - are these normally for hire
from a hire shop? Any idea what the charge might be?

check here ...You are sure to need them again .

Stuart
Mike

On this great day..Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:48:23 +0000, guv
wrote:

loads snipped

Its just come to my attention that I have a drain problem at the front
of my house.

Before you beg/buy a set of rods ........ if you have a hosepipe, turn
it on full and have a poke down the pipe with that. There is a very good
chance it will clear it if its just a load of "gunk" blocking the
system.

Mike

Pullout "stop" to reply by email
Andrew McKay

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:40:54 +0000, guv wrote:

I mentioned that there was a manhole cover situated on my drive, which
is just about 2 yards from the drain itself. Lifting that, reveals the
channels themselves are fine from above. There is no visible blockage,
nor any water visible. I should also add, that Ive now found out that
ours is the last house (of 5) that are served by the same pipes.
Obviously if there was water visible, the problem would have been
further down in a neighbours - but this isnt the case.

Get a bucket of water and chuck it in there. If it drains away rapidly
then the blockage is upstream of that manhole cover.

If it is upstream then a pressure washer could potentially be used
from this end and pushed upstream - make sure to check the garage end,
but my guess would be that the blockage is between the manhole cover
and the garage.

Andrew

Andrew McKay

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:09:56 +0000, nog wrote:

Pressure washers are handy for cleaning patios too

And wheely bins. :-)

Hey, hadn't thought of that!

Colonic irrigation anyone?

Andrew

Stuart Noble

"Mike" wrote in message
On this great day..Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:48:23 +0000, guv
wrote:

loads snipped

Its just come to my attention that I have a drain problem at the front
of my house.

Before you beg/buy a set of rods ........ if you have a hosepipe, turn
it on full and have a poke down the pipe with that. There is a very good
chance it will clear it if its just a load of "gunk" blocking the
system.

Probably the Water Board's problem if it's a shared drain.

Tony Williams

In article ,
guv wrote:

I mentioned that there was a manhole cover situated on my drive,
which is just about 2 yards from the drain itself. Lifting that,
reveals the channels themselves are fine from above. There is no
visible blockage, nor any water visible.

Using the word 'drain' implies that you have a U-bend.
U-bends are places where suspended solids can settle
out and accumulate, to eventually cause a blockage.

Before pouring any nasty chemicals down there it might
be useful to stick your arm down the drain and see if
you can feel for what is in the U-bend.

--
Tony Williams.
Jeff

guv wrote :-

So do you think I need to contact my local water authority or a
drainage company?

I am in the 'lucky' position of being the lowest property on a shared
drain - so when it blocks its me that gets the flooded garden :-(
Normal responce is DIY or get the yellow pages out but a builder once told
me to phone the council (not a council house btw) - brilliant responce, £35
ish fixed fee with a 1 week guarantee, as it usually blocks when i'm on 12
hour nights this is an excelent solution
It never blocks on my property but try telling someone that your garden is
flooded and its their problem :-(

Regards Jeff

Routing laundry drain to kitchen drain possible? orangetrader Home Repair 11 March 7th 05 03:14 AM
Dishwasher Drain Greg Home Repair 2 June 8th 04 11:54 AM
Shower Drain Problem Please Help Michael Roback Home Ownership 1 October 26th 03 01:27 PM
Remodel Leaking Drain Emergency Michael Roback Home Ownership 0 October 24th 03 04:03 AM