Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn concerns

Top 1/4 to 1/2 of my grass in many areas is brown with the bottom half
or so green. Growing well. Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Top 1/4 to 1/2 of my grass in many areas is brown with the bottom half
or so green. Growing well. Any suggestions?

Sharpen mower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Top 1/4 to 1/2 of my grass in many areas is brown with the bottom half
or so green. Growing well. Any suggestions?

Sharpen mower.

2 week old, right out of the box Craftsman. Also, the same problem
in a section that my neighbor mows with another mower. Does that still
sound likely or should I consider something else before I go yell at
Sears about the blade?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article , dpb wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Top 1/4 to 1/2 of my grass in many areas is brown with the bottom
half
or so green. Growing well. Any suggestions?

Sharpen mower.

2 week old, right out of the box Craftsman. Also, the same problem
in a section that my neighbor mows with another mower. Does that still
sound likely or should I consider something else before I go yell at
Sears about the blade?

You could just check the blade.

I was wondering. Have you had a lot of rain? We had 47 consecutive days of
rain. I was listening to the radio and it said to expect brown spots on your
yard from the fungus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
"ythread" wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
..
.
In article , dpb wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Top 1/4 to 1/2 of my grass in many areas is brown with the bottom
half
or so green. Growing well. Any suggestions?

Sharpen mower.

2 week old, right out of the box Craftsman. Also, the same problem
in a section that my neighbor mows with another mower. Does that still
sound likely or should I consider something else before I go yell at
Sears about the blade?

You could just check the blade.

The tops don't look (to me anyway) like they were pulled, they
aren't ragged. Short of cutting off a finger, what is a good way to
check the blade under these circumstances.

I was wondering. Have you had a lot of rain? We had 47 consecutive days of
rain. I was listening to the radio and it said to expect brown spots on your
yard from the fungus.

That was one of my concerns. We had a wet week or so, but nothing
really for the last couple of weeks or so. I water the lawn, but start
it around 4 am so not much time to just sit there and get fungus going.
Also, it is fairly well distributed including the areas that are always
watered well after sun up.
Thanks for the advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Top 1/4 to 1/2 of my grass in many areas is brown with the bottom
half or so green. Growing well. Any suggestions?

A lot depends on where you are. In the deep South you have totally
different kinds of grass and problems than I do in the Midwest. For example
my local area has had something of a drought. Areas close by have had ample
rain. You may or may not have watered.

In any case a very good source of information in the US is the county
extension office. See your local phone book under government offices. They
are free they are experts and they are not trying to sell you something.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Top 1/4 to 1/2 of my grass in many areas is brown with the bottom
half or so green. Growing well. Any suggestions?

A lot depends on where you are. In the deep South you have totally
different kinds of grass and problems than I do in the Midwest. For example
my local area has had something of a drought. Areas close by have had ample
rain. You may or may not have watered.

In any case a very good source of information in the US is the county
extension office. See your local phone book under government offices. They
are free they are experts and they are not trying to sell you something.

Thanks. I'll look around. FWIW, Central Indiana
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I water the lawn, but start
it around 4 am so not much time to just sit there and get fungus going.

how often do u water?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
[...]

I can tell by looking at my grass if the blade needs sharpening. If you are
not comfortable using a torque wrench and are afraid of working on your
mower take it to a professional to get the blade sharpened. Refer to the
owner's manual.

If you have a lot of shade, or your yard doesn't drain well, it could be
fungus. Look on the internet for way to determine how much to water. There
are several methods. I always like to water as little as possible to keep
water bills down too.

As I was typing it started raining again. Fungus can be treated with corn
meal and I'm considering using it on my lawn. I live in central TX and we're
getting record braking rain fall due to the jet stream staying too far
north.

Be careful

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ythread" wrote:

If you have a lot of shade, or your yard doesn't drain well, it could be
fungus. Look on the internet for way to determine how much to water.
There
are several methods. I always like to water as little as possible to keep
water bills down too.

It is just as bad on the front yard and the side yard which is full
sun as it is in the back yard with some shade and along the tree line
which is full shade, not really getting hardly any sun between April and
October (g).
If there wasn't this consistentcy, I might be able to figure out what
is going on.

Thanks again.

Try taking a picture of your lawn. Close-up and over-all. Then post them
somewhere on the internet. Post a link to
alt.home.lawn.garden with your description. I was hoping it was something
simple like over watering but it doesn't sound like that too me.

Good Luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
"ythread" wrote:

Try taking a picture of your lawn. Close-up and over-all. Then post them
somewhere on the internet. Post a link to
alt.home.lawn.garden with your description. I was hoping it was something
simple like over watering but it doesn't sound like that too me.

Good Luck

Think I'll just call my lawn service on Monday. That is what they get
big bucks for and it is becoming obvious that it going to be outside my
comfort zones (g).
Thanks for the assist anwyay

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ythread" wrote:

Try taking a picture of your lawn. Close-up and over-all. Then post them
somewhere on the internet. Post a link to
alt.home.lawn.garden with your description. I was hoping it was something
simple like over watering but it doesn't sound like that too me.

Good Luck

Think I'll just call my lawn service on Monday. That is what they get
big bucks for and it is becoming obvious that it going to be outside my
comfort zones (g).
Thanks for the assist anwyay

Yeah, but it doesn't hurt to get as many opinions as you can. Then again,
I'm my own lawn service.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out :-)

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:02:40 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

Top 1/4 to 1/2 of my grass in many areas is brown with the bottom half
or so green. Growing well. Any suggestions?

Is your mower blade sharp? If so, the grass blade should have a clean
cut on top, not shredded.