Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Copper Sulfate effect on Tree

There is a city tree, an American Elm, that has a diameter of about
4'. It is a source of sewer backups, the roots get into the pipes.
This tree is on the tree belt and between two houses. I don't really
care for all the extra trouble because of the tree but don't want to
see it destroyed. Today a neighbor told me that he had poured copper
sulfate around the base of the tree. I understand that this is
poisonous to the tree roots.

Can this really kill a large tree?, it's about 80 ft tall with a
spread of at least 50'. Is there something I can do to neutralize the
copper sulfate? If the copper sulfate does harm the tree what should
I look for and what kind of timetable?

Is there something that I can put around the tree that will absorb the
copper sulfate if the neighbor adds more?

The tree is in MA and I think that this is not legal. Any ideas on
how to best proceed to first save the tree and second stop this nut?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 10:05?pm, Bill C. wrote:
[...]

tree will likely die.........

call authorties and report that jerk copper sulphate is very hazardous
and the chemical could poision a child who plays in the contamination.

sadly copper sulphate isnt necessary.

just pour common ROCK SALT mixed in water on a regular basis down the
drain lines this tree is using as a water source.

like 25 pound bag 3 or 4 times a year.

kills the roots in water nearly instantly, doesnt harm the tree at
all.

i have been doing this for over 10 years here rather than replace the
sewer line.

cheap easy quick. softener salt can be used rather than rock salt if
you want.

of course another solution is have the sewer snaked and cleaned well,
then they install a liner like a sock sealing the inside of the line
so the roots cant get in anymore.

if its truly a elm thats so sad since most were killed by elm disease
years ago.

call the authorties immediately the soil contaminated should be
removed and handled as hazardous waste..............

what a jerk

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, Bill C. wrote:
[...]

I was worried about using a root killer myself so I did some internet
researching

commercial root killers are copper sulfate
http://www.spotfree.net/rootout.html
http://www.roebic.com/catalog/root.htm

It turns out that the copper sulfate does not move very far into the
root system & only the roots directly exposed (ie in the pipe) die &
wither away.

Not to worry about the tree it'll be fine & your sewer will be root
free.

I've used after researching it & my 70 year old camellia "trees" are
still going strong.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:33:11 -0000, BobK207
wrote:

It turns out that the copper sulfate does not move very far into the
root system & only the roots directly exposed (ie in the pipe) die &
wither away.

Not to worry about the tree it'll be fine & your sewer will be root
free.

The jerk poured it around the base of the tree, not down the drain.

I've used after researching it & my 70 year old camellia "trees" are
still going strong.

What would flooding it with water for a long time do?. It might make
some CuSO4 go further down, but wouldn't most get washed away?

Call the city, or the arboretum, or the botanical garden (and ask them
who to call about trees) and find out. I'd rather have a tree even if
it was trouble** and he should have asked you before doing this
anyhow. It was near your property too, and on your street.

**I have a couple 30 foot dead trees behind my house because they're
old or something, and the county would cut them down for free because
it's country property, but I like them. Sometimes a chunk falls off
and down to the ground, and last spring, 3 out of 4 trunks of one tree
fell over in the wind. Damaged my wood fence, but I don't care. I
cut the tree up for fire wood and repaired the fence as I've done many
times before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill C." wrote in message
There is a city tree, an American Elm, that has a diameter of about
4'. It is a source of sewer backups, the roots get into the pipes.
This tree is on the tree belt and between two houses. I don't really
care for all the extra trouble because of the tree but don't want to
see it destroyed. Today a neighbor told me that he had poured copper
sulfate around the base of the tree. I understand that this is
poisonous to the tree roots.

I can't answer your question, but am curious...
Whose property is it on? What is a tree belt?
Is he going to pay for having it taken down, now that it is a hazard?
If so, he better do it fast, as it is much cheaper to take down a live tree
than a dead one.

Even if it is on his property, and even if dumping the chemicals in the
ground is legal, he is still and idiot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill C. writes:

The tree is in MA and I think that this is not legal. Any ideas on
how to best proceed to first save the tree and second stop this nut?

MA?

Call the authorities immediately. They will respond with truckloads of
hazmat removal crews in moon suits with hazmat barrels. They will dig out
all the dirt, containerize it, and put it in a toxic waste dump. Your
neighbor will get a six-figure bill. You will get a bitter enemy.

Or just forget about it. I'll bet the tree won't even notice. It takes a
lot of this stuff to have an effect, more than I expect was applied.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 23:28:12 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Bill C. writes:

The tree is in MA and I think that this is not legal. Any ideas on
how to best proceed to first save the tree and second stop this nut?

MA?

I hate that too. The post office has valid reasons for insisting on
predetermined, all-capital abbreviations, but that's no reason they
should be used elsewhere.

It's Mass., Conn., Penn. or Pa., Cal. etc. just like it always was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

MM-

Missed "around the base if the tree"...oops!

Tell that idiot to stop dumping it around the tree.....the few pounds
he dumped won't have much effect on the tree.

Tell him to use the root killer properly (in the drain) & the root
problems will go away.

You'll need yearly treatment to keep the lines clear.

Tell him that if he thinks a 80 ft tree is a problem..... a dead 80 ft
tree is worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill C. wrote in
:

[...]

Elm trees mostly died off in the US due to Dutch elm disease,and I've heard
that there's some conservancy group that wants samples from any surviving
elms,so they can clone them and have disease-resistant trees to plant,to
keep the elms from being totally wiped out in the US.
My childhood home used to have a big Elm tree in front,but it died due to
Dutch elm disease.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 11:33?pm, BobK207 wrote:
On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, Bill C. wrote:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

a buddles neighbor used copper sulphate root killer that had invaded
his sewer line.

killed two 200 year old trees, one owned by the fellow using the root
killer, the other tree was my buddy.

neighbor paid for both dead trees to be removed

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 7:05 pm, Bill C. wrote:

[...]

I wonder how the commercial root killer products (copper sulfate) stay
on the market if they wind up killing the whole tree & not just the
roots?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
BobK207 wrote:

snip

I wonder how the commercial root killer products (copper sulfate) stay
on the market if they wind up killing the whole tree & not just the
roots?

A matter of dosage?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 10:06 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article .com,

BobK207 wrote:

snip

I wonder how the commercial root killer products (copper sulfate) stay
on the market if they wind up killing the whole tree & not just the
roots?

A matter of dosage?

Maybe but the commerical stuff comes as crystals in a 1 quart plastic
bottle a few pounds I think

as I recall you dump 2 (or 3?) portions into the toilet & flush to
distribute

let sit over night (I think) & the roots in the pipes are supposed to
disintegrate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill C. wrote:
[...]

Huh?
Killing a city tree is illegal here.
And using that toxic substance on it, Yuk?
Do you have dog/cat or small kids?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Left message on Mass EPA hot line with my name, number, and short
description of issue before posting......No return call.......I guess
that this is not an important issue for them. Local nursery suggested
flooding with water.

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:28:33 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

You really should talk to the local EPA or other experts. You could be
doing more damage by washing it in.

Bob

"Bill C." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

We used copperpentasulfate, goodly dose, as the last flush every three
months and killed the need for Roto-Rooter.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:48:25 -0000, BobK207
wrote:

On Jul 11, 10:06 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article .com,

BobK207 wrote:

snip

I wonder how the commercial root killer products (copper sulfate) stay
on the market if they wind up killing the whole tree & not just the
roots?

A matter of dosage?

Maybe but the commerical stuff comes as crystals in a 1 quart plastic
bottle a few pounds I think

as I recall you dump 2 (or 3?) portions into the toilet & flush to
distribute

let sit over night (I think) & the roots in the pipes are supposed to
disintegrate

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bill C., Gwendolyn Meredith_Black wrote:
July 22 2018 ...a neighbor planted some trees on property line before I moved
here.( Tallahassee county limits) the tree each yr. has yellow pollen all over
my car,deck of home by the wind.This even affects my breathing,I am 72 yrs
now, I have nicely explained this situation to him( a preacher) I think his
attitude is ,"I don't care".. attitude .He did live next door,but has since
moved,and now rents house out.The weeds in his yard are growing up over my
fence, on my property .At my age I can't take care,mow lawn..I get someone to
help when I can financially..am on fixed income..Don't know what to do..any
suggestions??Thank you..

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ee-232584-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/18 2:14 PM, Gwendolyn Meredith_Black wrote:
replying to Bill C., Gwendolyn Meredith_Black wrote:
July 22 2018 ...a neighbor planted some trees on property line before I
moved
here.( Tallahassee county limits) the tree each yr. has yellow pollen
all over
my car,deck of home by the wind.This even affects my breathing,I am 72
yrs now, I have nicely explained this situation to him( a preacher) I
think his
attitude is ,"I don't care".. attitude .He did live next door,but has since
moved,and now rents house out.The weeds in his yard are growing up over my
fence, on my property .At my age I can't take care,mow lawn..I get
someone to
help when I can financially..am on fixed income..Don't know what to do..any
suggestions??Thank you..

send an email to burpford, he is a kind, compassionate reptile