Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Copper Sulfate effect on Tree

On Jul 9, 9:09 pm, mm wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:33:11 -0000, BobK207
wrote:

It turns out that the copper sulfate does not move very far into the
root system & only the roots directly exposed (ie in the pipe) die &
wither away.

Not to worry about the tree it'll be fine & your sewer will be root
free.

The jerk poured it around the base of the tree, not down the drain.

I've used after researching it & my 70 year old camellia "trees" are
still going strong.

What would flooding it with water for a long time do?. It might make
some CuSO4 go further down, but wouldn't most get washed away?

Call the city, or the arboretum, or the botanical garden (and ask them
who to call about trees) and find out. I'd rather have a tree even if
it was trouble** and he should have asked you before doing this
anyhow. It was near your property too, and on your street.

**I have a couple 30 foot dead trees behind my house because they're
old or something, and the county would cut them down for free because
it's country property, but I like them. Sometimes a chunk falls off
and down to the ground, and last spring, 3 out of 4 trunks of one tree
fell over in the wind. Damaged my wood fence, but I don't care. I
cut the tree up for fire wood and repaired the fence as I've done many
times before.

MM-

Missed "around the base if the tree"...oops!

Tell that idiot to stop dumping it around the tree.....the few pounds
he dumped won't have much effect on the tree.

Tell him to use the root killer properly (in the drain) & the root
problems will go away.

You'll need yearly treatment to keep the lines clear.

Tell him that if he thinks a 80 ft tree is a problem..... a dead 80 ft
tree is worse.