Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Copper Sulfate effect on Tree

"Bill C." wrote in message
There is a city tree, an American Elm, that has a diameter of about
4'. It is a source of sewer backups, the roots get into the pipes.
This tree is on the tree belt and between two houses. I don't really
care for all the extra trouble because of the tree but don't want to
see it destroyed. Today a neighbor told me that he had poured copper
sulfate around the base of the tree. I understand that this is
poisonous to the tree roots.

I can't answer your question, but am curious...
Whose property is it on? What is a tree belt?
Is he going to pay for having it taken down, now that it is a hazard?
If so, he better do it fast, as it is much cheaper to take down a live tree
than a dead one.

Even if it is on his property, and even if dumping the chemicals in the
ground is legal, he is still and idiot.