Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Garage Paint from Home Depot?

Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store. Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Albert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store. Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

Why reward Home Depot with your business when they were unable to earn it?
Open your yellow pages phone book and find a paint specialty store that
sells Devoe or Martin-Senour paint. You'll be impressed with the quality,
and you'll only have to paint once, assuming the surface is in good shape,
and primed if necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Albert wrote:
Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store. Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

I'm thinking eggshell is _not_ the finish of choice for a garage,
particularly if you want washable. A semigloss latex enamel would best
compromise, probably, between durability and cost. One assumes you're
not looking for the highest cost/quality product for a garage.

For the lesser-priced, I have really been pleased w/ the Glidden (which
I think HD carries as well as Behr and some others). It's the prime
choice at the local lumberyard and I bought some for a work/change room
in the basement simply for convenience a couple of years ago. Very good
covering, ease of application and durability has also been very good...

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

What finish, if any is alreadyon the walls and ceiling of the garage?

It is new drywall with no mudding. Will prime the surface first
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Albert" wrote in message

Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store.

And yet people still shop there. Go to a real paint store and they will
have the answer and at a pretty good price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Albert wrote:
Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store.

Then why even consider giving them your business? Why not go to a real
paint store where they have quality paint and people who know something
about it?

Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Albert wrote:
Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store. Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

I would look for a Bathroom - Kitchen paint. We did a bathroom a few
years ago and bought the paint from WalMart. Cheap paint, but frankly it
did a great job. Can't remember the name on it, I think it may have been
their brand name and by now they have likely changed supplies and formulas
three times.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Albert wrote:
Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store. Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

Wallpaper. Especially the murals.

Autos, airplanes, fishing, pin-ups...

Posted to alt.home.repair

theres a concrete paint by Stone Mason among others, but why not $1/gallon?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Albert,
I've been buying Behr paint at Home Depot for years. It's very affordable,
durable and flows nicely. Easy to work with paint with a long lasting
finish.
For your garage I would recommend a satin/eggshell. It will have a low sheen
but still be very washable. Usually their paint department is very helpful
and knowledgable. You may have hit an off day.

Remember, prep is the most inportant part. If you are going over fresh
sheetrock, be sure to use a good primer like Kilz. In the garage, it might
not hurt to to it that way regardless. Scuff the walls with a 200 grit
sandpaper, being sure to get in the edges good and tight and just lightly
hit the walls to give the paint and primer a good surface to adhere to.
Best of luck to you. I have FINALLY finished (I hope) my paint work at this
house for awhile... I never thought I would say "I am SO sick of painting!"
LOL

Kate

"Albert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store. Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Albert wrote:
Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store. Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

Wallpaper. Especially the murals.

Autos, airplanes, fishing, pin-ups...

--------
Actually... that's kind of a cool idea...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

Remember, prep is the most inportant part. If you are going over fresh
sheetrock, be sure to use a good primer like Kilz. In the garage, it might
not hurt to to it that way regardless. Scuff the walls with a 200 grit
sandpaper, being sure to get in the edges good and tight and just lightly
hit the walls to give the paint and primer a good surface to adhere to.

This isn't necessary. Especially the sanding - "scuffing" drywall isn't a
good idea. And Kilz isn't necessary either. There really isn't much good
reason not to simply put on 2 coats of whatever finish paint you want,
assuming it's of good quality with a decent amount of solids in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Albert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store. Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

Eggshell/satin is fine. Semi-gloss is more washable, so it's a question of
how dirty you think it'll get vs. your preference for sheen. I dislike high
sheen walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bent" wrote in message
theres a concrete paint by Stone Mason among others, but why not
$1/gallon?

WHAT???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry Jeff.. but I have to disagree with you on a large scale here.
I admit, I did not see that he was painting fresh drywall until I read a
little lower in the thread BUT
I still stand on what I said.

We bought this house 3 1/2 years ago.. I had to remove layers of wallpaper
and then it was time to paint.
They had not primed the walls prior to painting and it has been an absolute
nightmare in each and every room.
I'll tell you what happens when you DON'T prime over fresh sheetrock:

The paint peels off of the joint compound any time you put masking tape on
it.. say for doing trim.
Yes, a pro can cut in with a brush, and I'm pretty doggone good at it BUT
there are just times when it's faster and cleaner to mask the edges off.
It is an unstable, dusty type of surface (even when you wipe it with a damp
cloth first) and paint simply does not adhere to it properly. A coat of Kilz
will help block mildew and will seal the surface so that if he later decides
to do something else the paint is firmly stuck to the walls and he won't
spend days and weeks like we did patching and smoothing the places where the
GD paint peeled off at the joints and seams - ceiling line - along door
jambs - corners and so on.

On another note, I say if you get pre-primed molding, do the same thing,
sand it and prime it before you paint it.
If the primer that's on it is cheap, you'll have a problem with it peeling
then too...
Go on ahead.. ask me how I know this. I'll show you the callouses from
fixing this mess.

Kate

"jeffc" wrote in message

"Kate" wrote in message

Remember, prep is the most inportant part. If you are going over fresh
sheetrock, be sure to use a good primer like Kilz. In the garage, it might
not hurt to to it that way regardless. Scuff the walls with a 200 grit
sandpaper, being sure to get in the edges good and tight and just lightly
hit the walls to give the paint and primer a good surface to adhere to.

This isn't necessary. Especially the sanding - "scuffing" drywall isn't a
good idea. And Kilz isn't necessary either. There really isn't much good
reason not to simply put on 2 coats of whatever finish paint you want,
assuming it's of good quality with a decent amount of solids in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffc wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
Remember, prep is the most inportant part. If you are going over fresh
sheetrock, be sure to use a good primer like Kilz. In the garage, it might
not hurt to to it that way regardless. Scuff the walls with a 200 grit
sandpaper, being sure to get in the edges good and tight and just lightly
hit the walls to give the paint and primer a good surface to adhere to.

This isn't necessary. Especially the sanding - "scuffing" drywall isn't a
good idea. And Kilz isn't necessary either. There really isn't much good
reason not to simply put on 2 coats of whatever finish paint you want,
assuming it's of good quality with a decent amount of solids in it.

I agree on the scuffing but proper primer is the most important part of
any paint job. For sheetrock I like the drywall primer made by
Sherwin-Williams. It has much better hiding than the big box paint. We
did a couple rooms of new drywall and the primer actually looked like
the finish coat. We ran out and I went to the big box store and asked
for the best primer they had. They sold me Behr something or other. It
was more expensive that the Sherwin-Williams paint and was much
thinner/watered down and had nowhere near the hiding power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Need to paint the interior of my garage. Thinking of an Eggshell
since it can be washed. Was overwhelmed at Home Depot with all the
paint and could not get a good answer at the store. Any help here as
to what would be a good quality paint for this purpose?

Eggshell/satin is fine. Semi-gloss is more washable, so it's a
question of how dirty you think it'll get vs. your preference for
sheen. I dislike high sheen walls.

I used Glidden "flat" latex in my garage. I think the color was "antique
white". It's one of their standard premixed colors. Makes for a quicker
trip in and out of the home center.

I keep seeing "washable" mentioned. I've never had any problems wiping
spots off the paint, but I don't make a habit of washing down the walls in
my garage. But flat paint seems just as washable as paints with more sheen.

If you're painting over new drywall, wipe down the dust then paint on a PVA
primer, and follow with one or two coats of your final paint color.

If you're painting over an existing finish, wash down the walls with a TSP
solution first. This will remove dirt, oils, etc., and prep the surface for
the new coat of paint. Then apply your paint after it dries.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

what what?

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"bent" wrote in message
theres a concrete paint by Stone Mason among others, but why not
$1/gallon?

WHAT???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bent" wrote in message
theres a concrete paint by Stone Mason among others, but why not
$1/gallon?

WHAT???

"why not $1 gallon?" Makes no sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeffc" wrote in message

"Kate" wrote in message

Remember, prep is the most inportant part. If you are going over fresh
sheetrock, be sure to use a good primer like Kilz. In the garage, it might
not hurt to to it that way regardless. Scuff the walls with a 200 grit
sandpaper, being sure to get in the edges good and tight and just lightly
hit the walls to give the paint and primer a good surface to adhere to.

This isn't necessary. Especially the sanding - "scuffing" drywall isn't a
good idea. And Kilz isn't necessary either. There really isn't much good
reason not to simply put on 2 coats of whatever finish paint you want,
assuming it's of good quality with a decent amount of solids in it.

Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time." Stephen Blackpool Home Repair 65 March 17th 07 12:53 PM
Is Home Depot paint any good? Alex Home Repair 14 August 26th 06 05:23 AM
FREE Home Depot Home Improvement How-To-Guide [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 2nd 06 11:06 PM
home depot SeaKan Home Repair 123 December 18th 05 05:05 PM
Home Depot at home services, any good reports? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 20th 05 07:27 PM