Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default What Garage Paint from Home Depot?

jeffc wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
Remember, prep is the most inportant part. If you are going over fresh
sheetrock, be sure to use a good primer like Kilz. In the garage, it might
not hurt to to it that way regardless. Scuff the walls with a 200 grit
sandpaper, being sure to get in the edges good and tight and just lightly
hit the walls to give the paint and primer a good surface to adhere to.

This isn't necessary. Especially the sanding - "scuffing" drywall isn't a
good idea. And Kilz isn't necessary either. There really isn't much good
reason not to simply put on 2 coats of whatever finish paint you want,
assuming it's of good quality with a decent amount of solids in it.

I agree on the scuffing but proper primer is the most important part of
any paint job. For sheetrock I like the drywall primer made by
Sherwin-Williams. It has much better hiding than the big box paint. We
did a couple rooms of new drywall and the primer actually looked like
the finish coat. We ran out and I went to the big box store and asked
for the best primer they had. They sold me Behr something or other. It
was more expensive that the Sherwin-Williams paint and was much
thinner/watered down and had nowhere near the hiding power.