Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

Default Brand Recommendations For Swamp Coolers?

I'm looking to get a swamp cooler in the $300 or so neighborhood . Been looking at
web pages and reviews are really hard to find. I have come across a few, have sorta
elminated a couple from consideration.

This would be for a room about 20 x 20. Easy mainentance (like pads/filters) and
quietness a plus

I'm looking at a Symphony Sumo Jr from Amazon. Also on my short list are Sunpentown
SF-608R, Newair AF-320 or AF-330

Are there any reviews anywhere? Anyone have personal experiences/recommendations?

tia
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

Where do you live?

--
Steve Spence
Director, Green-Trust

"Owen Reese" wrote in message

I'm looking to get a swamp cooler in the $300 or so neighborhood . Been
looking at
web pages and reviews are really hard to find. I have come across a few,
have sorta
elminated a couple from consideration.

This would be for a room about 20 x 20. Easy mainentance (like
pads/filters) and
quietness a plus

I'm looking at a Symphony Sumo Jr from Amazon. Also on my short list are
Sunpentown
SF-608R, Newair AF-320 or AF-330

Are there any reviews anywhere? Anyone have personal
experiences/recommendations?

tia

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

On Jul 2, 11:33 am, Owen Reese wrote:
I'm looking to get a swamp cooler in the $300 or so neighborhood . Been looking at
web pages and reviews are really hard to find. I have come across a few, have sorta
elminated a couple from consideration.

This would be for a room about 20 x 20. Easy mainentance (like pads/filters) and
quietness a plus

I'm looking at a Symphony Sumo Jr from Amazon. Also on my short list are Sunpentown
SF-608R, Newair AF-320 or AF-330

Are there any reviews anywhere? Anyone have personal experiences/recommendations?

tia

I don't know about types of swamp coolers but be sure it is installed
properly. Every house I check for mold with a swamp cooler is making
people sick.

Dr GW Graham
Free eBook on sinuses
http://www.freesinusinfo.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:33:04 -0600, Owen Reese
wrote:

I'm looking to get a swamp cooler in the $300 or so neighborhood . Been looking at
web pages and reviews are really hard to find. I have come across a few, have sorta
elminated a couple from consideration.

This would be for a room about 20 x 20. Easy mainentance (like pads/filters) and
quietness a plus

I'm looking at a Symphony Sumo Jr from Amazon. Also on my short list are Sunpentown
SF-608R, Newair AF-320 or AF-330

Are there any reviews anywhere? Anyone have personal experiences/recommendations?

tia

We've used a Bonaire Vail for the last month. Holds 7 gallons. 60W
low, 80 medium, 100W high. About $235 at Home Depot. Manufacturer's
page http://www.bonaire.com.au/products/products4.html Simple
construction, mostly plastic. Assembles quickly without tools. Filler
door is small, it's fine for a hose but might be messy if you were
filling it with a bucket. Fan is very powerful even on low, and is
kinda' loud on high. Rolls nicely on smooth surfaces, but when full
it's pretty heavy. I shopped around a fair bit and it seemed the best
combination of price and efficiency.

Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

Owen Reese wrote:

I'm looking at a Symphony Sumo Jr from Amazon. Also on my short list are
Sunpentown SF-608R, Newair AF-320 or AF-330

I'd vote for the Sumo, since it can evaporate 4 liters per hour (about
9K Btu/h), vs 0.45 and 0.65 liters for the others. Or a Mastercool MMB8.
Turn it on with a thermostat when the room temp rises to 80 F and run
a small exhaust fan with a humidistat when the room RH rises to 60%.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

Owen Reese wrote:
I'm looking to get a swamp cooler in the $300 or so neighborhood ...
This would be for a room about 20 x 20.

I can't help with you actual question. I can suggest that you can
find window air conditioners much cheaper than $300. A quick web
search found me a number of 10,000BTU units for around $220 which
is claimed to be enough for 400+ square feet.

They are power hogs but they will work regardless of the humidity.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

Pardon my ignorance, what is a swamp cooler?

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive

BetsyB

"Owen Reese" wrote in message

I'm looking to get a swamp cooler in the $300 or so neighborhood . Been
looking at
web pages and reviews are really hard to find. I have come across a few,
have sorta
elminated a couple from consideration.

This would be for a room about 20 x 20. Easy mainentance (like
pads/filters) and
quietness a plus

I'm looking at a Symphony Sumo Jr from Amazon. Also on my short list are
Sunpentown
SF-608R, Newair AF-320 or AF-330

Are there any reviews anywhere? Anyone have personal
experiences/recommendations?

tia

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

betsyb wrote

Pardon my ignorance,

No way, its completely unpardonable.

what is a swamp cooler?

One that cools by evaporating water.

As opposed to the main alternative that cools by a refrigeration system.

"Owen Reese" wrote in message

I'm looking to get a swamp cooler in the $300 or so neighborhood .
Been looking at
web pages and reviews are really hard to find. I have come across a
few, have sorta
elminated a couple from consideration.

This would be for a room about 20 x 20. Easy mainentance (like
pads/filters) and
quietness a plus

I'm looking at a Symphony Sumo Jr from Amazon. Also on my short list
are Sunpentown
SF-608R, Newair AF-320 or AF-330

Are there any reviews anywhere? Anyone have personal
experiences/recommendations?

tia

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

"betsyb" wrote...
Pardon my ignorance, what is a swamp cooler?

Common name for an evaporative cooler, which is used in desert areas in lieu of
an air conditioner. Whole-house units are commonly placed on the roofs of
houses and other buildings. Water is dripped down a foam mesh screen.
Warm/hot, dry ambient air is blown across the screen, evaporating the water.
Heat absorbed by the evaporation of the water cools the air, which is then
ducted into the house.

If water is available, a swamp cooler is much cheaper to run than a
compressor-type air conditioner. It also humidifies the air (a GOOD thing in
the desert). Downside is that it doesn't work well when ambient humidity is
already high.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

"John Weiss" jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote:

Downside is that it doesn't work well when ambient humidity is
already high.

....with the definition of "high" being anything above 20% RH. Basically, a good
rule of thumb is that if they aren't stocked at the local Home Depot or Lowes,
you shouldn't be thinking about buying one. The damage you can do in a very
short time by injecting that much moisture into a house is amazing.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam's used to sell them here. They had one about "whole house" size for
$350. That was a little over 10 years ago, so no idea if they stil have
them, or what they cost if they do. It is way too humid here for them to
work except for a handful of days a year, but I guess they are better
than nothing. The main thing is not to try to use one as an air
conditioner with all the windows and doors shut, so that the air inside
just keeps getting more and more humid until it is practically raining
inside. FWIW, in west Tx, where they are more common, they are called
"air conditioners", as opposed to "refrigerated air conditioners"
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

i live in Hyd

On Jul 2, 9:02 pm, "Steve Spence" wrote:
Where do you live?

--

"Owen Reese" wrote in message

I'm looking to get a swamp cooler in the $300 or so neighborhood . Been
looking at
web pages and reviews are really hard to find. I have come across a few,
have sorta
elminated a couple from consideration.

This would be for a room about 20 x 20. Easy mainentance (like
pads/filters) and
quietness a plus

I'm looking at a Symphony Sumo Jr from Amazon. Also on my short list are
Sunpentown
SF-608R, Newair AF-320 or AF-330

Are there any reviews anywhere? Anyone have personal
experiences/recommendations?

tia

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

Anthony Matonak wrote:

Owen Reese wrote:
I'm looking to get a swamp cooler in the $300 or so neighborhood ...
This would be for a room about 20 x 20.

I can't help with you actual question. I can suggest that you can
find window air conditioners much cheaper than $300. A quick web
search found me a number of 10,000BTU units for around $220 which
is claimed to be enough for 400+ square feet.

They are power hogs but they will work regardless of the humidity.

The $298 Mastercool Mobile MMB10 (Grainger 5MU36) has a garden hose
connection and draws 3.5 amps at 120 V. Adobe Air says it can cool
2000 cfm of 110 F 10% RH air 32 F, about 69K Btu/h (6 tons), like 14
5K Btu/h window air conditioners :-)

An airtight 20'x20' room with no internal heat gains and 1040 ft^2 of
R11 walls and ceiling and 1040ft^2/R11 = 95 Btu/h-F of conductance at
80 F on a 100 F day would only need (100-80)95 = 1900 Btu/h of net
cooling. Air at 100 F and 10% RH has humidity ratio wo = 0.004 pounds
of water per pound of dry air, vs wi = 0.012 for 80 F indoor air at
60% RH. If we evaporate P pounds of water per hour and ventilate with
C cfm of outdoor air at 0.075 lb/ft^3 and P = 60C0.075(0.012-0.004),
C = 27.8P. If 1000P = 1900+(100-80)C = 1900+556P, P = 4.3 and C = 119,
so an MMB10 might run about 100x4.3/69 = 6% of the time and a $55 Lasko
2155A 16" 90 W 2470 cfm window fan would only run 100x119/2470 = 5%
of the time, just coasting :-) Exhaust air might leave the room via
the attic, to keep the room cooler.

For more cooling capacity with dry outdoor air, we might put an MMB10
(or its MMB8 younger brother) in a box near a window inside a house
with a Lasko intake fan in the window and use the fan thermostat
to turn on the cooler when the room temp rises to 80 F and a humidistat
to turn on the fan when the indoor RH rises to 60%, with 1-way plastic
film dampers in a box between the cooler and the window to force
outdoor fan air to flow through the cooler pad when the fan is running
and make indoor air flow through the cooler when the window fan is not
running, like this, viewed in a fixed font like Courier:

left | |
| |
---------
| |llld| |
|c| d| | outdoors
|o| d|f|
==|o| d|a| == With the window fan off, indoor air
|l| d|n| would flow in through left and right
|e| d| | dampers lll and rrr. With the fan on,
|r| d| | damper ddd would open and the fan air
| |rrrd| | would force lll and rrr closed.
---------
| |
right

We might have 4 modes:

80 F 60%| window fan cooler fan cooler water

--------------|-----------------------------------------------
1. no no | off off off
2. no yes | on off off
3. yes no | off on on
4. yes yes | on off on

Case 3 would maintain indoor comfort with less water than an external
swamp cooler, for a house with significant natural air leakage, ie
for almost all houses.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,misc.consumers,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.house

An airtight 20'x20' room with no internal heat gains and 1040 ft^2 of
R11 walls and ceiling and 1040ft^2/R11 = 95 Btu/h-F of conductance at
80 F on a 100 F day would only need (100-80)95 = 1900 Btu/h of net
cooling. Air at 100 F and 10% RH has humidity ratio wo = 0.004 pounds
of water per pound of dry air, vs wi = 0.012 for 80 F indoor air at
60% RH. If we evaporate P pounds of water per hour and ventilate with
C cfm of outdoor air at 0.075 lb/ft^3 and P = 60C0.075(0.012-0.004),
C = 27.8P. If 1000P = 1900+(100-80)C = 1900+556P, P = 4.3 and C = 119,
so an MMB10 might run about 100x4.3/69 = 6% of the time and a $55 Lasko
2155A 16" 90 W 2470 cfm window fan would only run 100x119/2470 = 5%
of the time, just coasting...

Then again, the $20 nuclear bong cooler referenced he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bong_cooler

made about 8K Btu/h with 30" of 6" PVC pipe and a 6" fan. The sidearm
might have 2 6" fans with backdraft dampers, one pushing room air into
the arm and another pushing in air from a window, with 4 modes:

swamp coolers jujub Home Repair 3 June 24th 07 07:32 PM
Air Coolers which don't need an external air vent? ste UK diy 19 November 22nd 05 10:05 PM
Air coolers (not Air Con) - any good ? paulfoel UK diy 14 July 13th 05 03:34 PM
Pressure Washer Brand Recommendations Roger Home Repair 2 January 20th 05 07:34 PM