paulfoel

Default Air coolers (not Air Con) - any good ?

Obviously, they're not going to complete with your proper AC unit but
are they any good at all?

B+Q are doing one for =A340 where you stick ice and water in it.

Any better than a plain old fan ?

s--p--o--n--i--x

On 28 Jun 2005 06:53:59 -0700, "paulfoel"
wrote:

Obviously, they're not going to complete with your proper AC unit but
are they any good at all?

B+Q are doing one for =A340 where you stick ice and water in it.

Any better than a plain old fan ?

IME they increase humidity in the air and make things appear even
hotter!

Personally, I'd suggest one of the B&Q 20" box fans is more effective
and better value for money.

sponix

paulfoel wrote:
Obviously, they're not going to complete with your proper AC unit but
are they any good at all?

B+Q are doing one for =A340 where you stick ice and water in it.

Any better than a plain old fan ?

They do work, yes, I've used them. But no, they dont compare with ac at
all.

They work primarily by evaporating water. This has a cooling efffect of
4C or so on the air. You need a litle ventilation, not much, so as RH
rises the higher RH air is lost to the outside allowing more
evaporation, which keeps cooling things down.

Expect maybe 3-4C of gain. Nothing huge, but yes on a hot day it makes
all the difference.

However, if youve not spent anything yet, Thing 1 to get would be a
ceiling fan. Less money, more effect. The evaporative cooler would be
one of several secondayry choices.

Dont put ice in it, as making ice releases more heat into the house
than melting it removes.

BTW these evap units will give you no joy on wet damp days, but those
are not normally the hottest ones, so its not a biggie.

NT

Dave Liquorice

On 28 Jun 2005 06:53:59 -0700, paulfoel wrote:

Obviously, they're not going to complete with your proper AC unit
but are they any good at all?

Do you like cool damp air? I remember being in a small hirise type
flat filming, in summer. What with 10+ bodies, the lights and keeping
the windows shut to keep the noise out it got a tad warm. Someone
produced and evaporative air cooler, it blew cool air which was quite
pleasant but after a couple of hours the humidty in the flat must have
been approaching 100%, the place started to drip...

A big slow fan is much better IMHO.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Chris McBrien

I'll second this opinion. I lived in Singapore for five years and could not
get used to sleeping with noisey A/C and waking up with a cold. My next
house had big ceiling fans and no A/C.............. just bliss. They are
quiet and did the job.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

raden

In message , Chris McBrien
writes
I'll second this opinion. I lived in Singapore for five years and could not
get used to sleeping with noisey A/C and waking up with a cold. My next
house had big ceiling fans and no A/C.............. just bliss. They are
quiet and did the job.

And slice those pesky mosquitos at the same time

saya benci nyamuk !

--
geoff
Dave

wrote:

Obviously, they're not going to complete with your proper AC unit but
are they any good at all?

B+Q are doing one for =A340 where you stick ice and water in it.

Any better than a plain old fan ?

IME they increase humidity in the air and make things appear even
hotter!

Personally, I'd suggest one of the B&Q 20" box fans is more effective
and better value for money.

sponix

Personally, I would not touch anything that buy an spew sell.

Dave

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 28 Jun 2005 06:53:59 -0700, paulfoel wrote:

Obviously, they're not going to complete with your proper AC unit
but are they any good at all?

Do you like cool damp air? I remember being in a small hirise type
flat filming, in summer. What with 10+ bodies, the lights and keeping
the windows shut to keep the noise out it got a tad warm. Someone
produced and evaporative air cooler, it blew cool air which was quite
pleasant but after a couple of hours the humidty in the flat must have
been approaching 100%, the place started to drip...

A big slow fan is much better IMHO.

I expect you can misuse any type of cooling method.

NT

Aidan

Steve Firth wrote:

Not really, and British prices are a complete sodding rip-off. Proper
aircon for self-install costs just EUR 167 for a 2.4kW unit at
Castorama. Castorama *is* B&Q, right down to the Performance Pro tools,
which are also cheaper there.

Voila.

http://www.castorama.fr/boutique/spe...=Ca stofrais1

300E seems the cheapest, unless the on-line prices are more than
in-store. Maybe someone who knows more than 2 words of French can find
a cheaper one on the site.

Aidan

ecco!

http://produzione.castorama.ebs.dada...fissi_2289.pdf

500 euros seems to be the cheapest.Maybe someone who etc..

Andy Hall

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:31:52 +0100, wrote:

On 12 Jul,
"Aidan" wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

Not really, and British prices are a complete sodding rip-off. Proper
aircon for self-install costs just EUR 167 for a 2.4kW unit at
Castorama. Castorama *is* B&Q, right down to the Performance Pro tools,
which are also cheaper there.

Voila.

http://www.castorama.fr/boutique/spe...=Ca stofrais1

300E seems the cheapest, unless the on-line prices are more than in-store.
Maybe someone who knows more than 2 words of French can find a cheaper one
on the site.

I think I could negotiate the site. Do you think they'll deliver to UK? I
assume no custon the EU, but is it VAT inc.

You would pay French VAT as an end customer but I am pretty sure that
this is included in pricing at a retailer, as it is here.

It would probably be cheaper overall to take a day trip on Eurotunnel
and go and buy one in the store in Calais or close by.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com