Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Washing machine water valves.

Am about to get a newer machine.
Currently have regular valves at the wall (recessed in a small box).
Can I add lever type valves after the existing valves (which are very
hard to turn).
Also, is that armored hose worth the cost?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Lou wrote:
Am about to get a newer machine.
Currently have regular valves at the wall (recessed in a small box).
Can I add lever type valves after the existing valves (which are very
hard to turn).
Also, is that armored hose worth the cost?

Only if you have an unarmored one burst...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
Am about to get a newer machine.
Currently have regular valves at the wall (recessed in a small box).
Can I add lever type valves after the existing valves (which are very hard
to turn).
Also, is that armored hose worth the cost?

Lou

Why not just replace the existing gate valves with a ball valve (lever turn)
valve set up. You can buy them as a single lever which turns off both
valves at once or a two lever set up. Shouldn't be a problem to replace
them, especially for a plumber. Although I'm sure you could jury rig a
setup with additional ball valves after the existing valves. The problem
with the existing valves is that eventually they get so hard to turn that
you don't turn them off between wash sessions and then, when a hose breaks
or washer fill level malfunctions, you have to run for the main house valve
to shut it down. What's the cost for a pair of steel braid reinforced
hoses..$22 versus $12 for the old rubber only hoses?
If a rubber hose breaks, it usually bursts open and floods the house, while
the steel reinforcement will prevent the bursting, only leaking until you
catch it and replace it. The peace of mind would be worth the $10
difference to me.

Tom G

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Does anyone actually turn off their valves between every load of wash?

Oh, I'm sure there's somebody...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tom G wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message
Am about to get a newer machine.
Currently have regular valves at the wall (recessed in a small box).
Can I add lever type valves after the existing valves (which are very hard
to turn).
Also, is that armored hose worth the cost?

Lou

Why not just replace the existing gate valves with a ball valve (lever turn)
valve set up. You can buy them as a single lever which turns off both
valves at once or a two lever set up. Shouldn't be a problem to replace
them, especially for a plumber. ...

Possibly because they're in one of the stinkin' little "in-the-wall"
cubbies that doesn't have sufficient clearance for the handles would be
my reading...had one of them in a previous house--what a pita.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I don't know anyone who does turn off their valves between wash
sessions.

I can reach mine just fine, but I never turn them off. Of course, I
picked up some metal hoses, to me it just seems like a plan. My
neighbors didn't, and one of their rubber hoses burst while they were
on vacation. That was a hell of a mess.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:40:14 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

wrote

I don't know anyone who does turn off their valves between wash
sessions.

I can reach mine just fine, but I never turn them off. Of course, I
picked up some metal hoses, to me it just seems like a plan. My
neighbors didn't, and one of their rubber hoses burst while they were
on vacation. That was a hell of a mess.

I woke up in the morning and heard the water running. I don't know
how long it had been running but I'm pretty sure less than an hour,
maybe less than 10 minutes, and the basement was a mess. I can only
guess what it would be like if I had been at work for 9 hours or out
of town for 9 days.

That's when I learned about stainless-steel woven armored hoses, and I
use them.

I can't reach my valves but even if I could I wouldn'tt turn them off
every time.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:13:09 -0400, Lou wrote:

Also, is that armored hose worth the cost?

Is your washing machine outside and near a drainage ditch? If so you
don't need the armored hose.

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote

wrote:

I can reach mine just fine, but I never turn them off. Of course, I
picked up some metal hoses, to me it just seems like a plan. My
neighbors didn't, and one of their rubber hoses burst while they were
on vacation. That was a hell of a mess.

I woke up in the morning and heard the water running. I don't know
how long it had been running but I'm pretty sure less than an hour,
maybe less than 10 minutes, and the basement was a mess. I can only
guess what it would be like if I had been at work for 9 hours or out
of town for 9 days.

That's when I learned about stainless-steel woven armored hoses, and I
use them.

I got a new washing machine a few weeks ago and the installer
asked me if I wanted to replace my metal hoses with the rubber
ones that came with the machine. Thanks for asking but ... no?

I can't reach my valves but even if I could I wouldn'tt turn them off
every time.

It's just not gonna happen.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:13:09 -0400, Lou wrote:

Also, is that armored hose worth the cost?

Is your washing machine outside and near a drainage ditch? If so you
don't need the armored hose.

Lou

Hi,
Our washing machine is located in the basement right next to floor
drain. But isn't there some safty device which will cut off water when
hose bursts? What is it called? In years we never turn off water when
washer is not used or we're away for length of time. Now I am thinking
about my daughter's place where there is a washer. She lives
on top floor of a high rise condo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

I woke up in the morning and heard the water running. I don't know
how long it had been running but I'm pretty sure less than an hour,
maybe less than 10 minutes, and the basement was a mess. I can only
guess what it would be like if I had been at work for 9 hours or out
of town for 9 days.

Ugh...

That's when I learned about stainless-steel woven armored hoses, and I
use them.

Me, too.

I can't reach my valves but even if I could I wouldn'tt turn them off
every time.

I installed on of these and it works beautifully:
http://www.plumbingworld.com/automat...ne_valves.html

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jun 29, 1:17 pm, wrote:
In article QSahi.13$Nw5.10@trndny04, says...

The problem
with the existing valves is that eventually they get so hard to turn that
you don't turn them off between wash sessions [....]

I don't know anyone who does turn off their valves between wash
sessions. Most houses have the valves inacessible behind the machine,
you'd have to climb on top of the machine or pull the machine away from
the wall to turn off the valves.

I know a few people who turn their valves off on vacation, when the
house is going to be unoccupied for weeks, but most don't even do that.

Does anyone actually turn off their valves between every load of wash?

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

I've thought about it....
I've seen for sale via google a solenoid operated set of valves that
triggers off the current to the washing machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

wrote:

[...]

nancy- Hide quoted text -

I saw a set of the automatic flood stoppers the other day, must have
been in Lowes or HD. I mentioned these before; i hang onto a pair I
got like 20 years ago because they disappeared off the market. They
have an internal ball which sets on a ledge, held metastably by a
little spring. Normal water flow won't budge them, but a ruptured hose
is enough to dislodge the ball, and the spring pulls it tight against
the seat. Works way better than it sounds. And they're cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"mm" wrote

wrote:

I can reach mine just fine, but I never turn them off. Of course, I
picked up some metal hoses, to me it just seems like a plan. My
neighbors didn't, and one of their rubber hoses burst while they were
on vacation. That was a hell of a mess.

I woke up in the morning and heard the water running. I don't know
how long it had been running but I'm pretty sure less than an hour,
maybe less than 10 minutes, and the basement was a mess. I can only
guess what it would be like if I had been at work for 9 hours or out
of town for 9 days.

That's when I learned about stainless-steel woven armored hoses, and I
use them.

If I were going to make any additional changes to my water system
here, I'd try to find some electric valves, normally off, that run on
110 and I'd piggy-back them on the valves that are in the machine. So
when the machine turned the hot on, it would also turn the hot on at
the faucet. That way, assuming they make good valves, there would
automatically be no pressure on the hoses except when the water was
wanted.

I got a new washing machine a few weeks ago and the installer
asked me if I wanted to replace my metal hoses with the rubber
ones that came with the machine. Thanks for asking but ... no?

I guess he things new might be better. You're lucky he asked. I can
imagine someone just assuming that new is better, putting in the
rubbern and taking the steel with him, not because he's a thief, but
because he was taught to clean up when done.

I can't reach my valves but even if I could I wouldn'tt turn them off
every time.

It's just not gonna happen.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

O7n Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:06:29 GMT, Tony Hwang
wrote:

mm wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:13:09 -0400, Lou wrote:

Also, is that armored hose worth the cost?

Is your washing machine outside and near a drainage ditch? If so you
don't need the armored hose.

Lou

Hi,
Our washing machine is located in the basement right next to floor
drain.

Even that is probably not enough. The hose can spray up or sideways
when it bursts. IIRC, in my case it didn't, but when my little hose
to my humidifier burst, it sprayed sideways over lots of things.

But isn't there some safty device which will cut off water when
hose bursts? What is it called? In years we never turn off water when
washer is not used or we're away for length of time. Now I am thinking
about my daughter's place where there is a washer. She lives
on top floor of a high rise condo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Bugg" wrote

I installed on of these and it works beautifully:
http://www.plumbingworld.com/automat...ne_valves.html

Seems to me high rise condos might think of requiring this
type of thing. Not a bad idea.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:53:30 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:22:34 -0400, mm wrote:

snip
Even that is probably not enough. The hose can spray up or sideways
when it bursts. IIRC, in my case it didn't, but when my little hose
to my humidifier burst, it sprayed sideways over lots of things.

Mom's burst while she was washing and while she was still by the
machine.Her location is the same. That sucker sprayed everywhere until she
could figure out where to shut the water off. Luckily it only took her a
minute to shut the water off. Had it burst, it would have been a mess.

There's that part where you have to plunge into the spray to turn it
off, even though one's reflex is to go the other direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:27:49 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"Dave Bugg" wrote

I installed on of these and it works beautifully:
http://www.plumbingworld.com/automat...ne_valves.html

Looks very good and easy to install.

Seems to me high rise condos might think of requiring this
type of thing. Not a bad idea.

It is, except I don't want to spend 177 dollars. If I could find the
valves, my method would be more direct and wouldn't require extra
parts to sense current to the washing machine. I would think simple
110VAC valves are only 20 or 30 apiece.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably the same guy who carries a spare ball point pen, closes
the snap open lid on the dish soap every time, washes his hands
twice, and changes the battery in the smoke detector twice a
year.

IOW, hardly anyone on this planet.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
.net...
:
: Does anyone actually turn off their valves between every load
of wash?
:
: --
: is Joshua Putnam
: http://www.phred.org/~josh/
: Updated Infrared Photography Gallery:
: http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/ir.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Washing machine water valves. What I learned

Lou wrote:
Am about to get a newer machine.
Currently have regular valves at the wall (recessed in a small box).
Can I add lever type valves after the existing valves (which are very
hard to turn).
Also, is that armored hose worth the cost?

Lou

Home Depot plumbing maven said I could not add lever valve after twist
valve cause of wrong threads. But he showed me, and I bought a pair of
steel braid type hoses that come with a built in automatic shut off if
the hose breaks.
Went home. Newer machine came and the rubber hoses were in decent
shape. Since machine is in a separate garage I decided a burst hose
would do no damage except for wasted water. If I am still here in 5
years I will replace the hoses.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jun 29, 7:57 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Probably the same guy who carries a spare ball point pen, closes
the snap open lid on the dish soap every time, washes his hands
twice, and changes the battery in the smoke detector twice a
year.

IOW, hardly anyone on this planet.

Actually, ya got me for most of those, and I still don't shut off the
valves

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had my washer around ten years. After a conversation with a
friend telling me about a burst hose I went to Home Depot and got two
of the metal-wrapped hoses with the auto shut-off if they burst (the
long ones weren't much money-- ten or fifteen dollars).

Got home, turned off the water, went to replace the hoses and
discovered that one hose was very close to bursting-- it was bloated
and spongy.

I can't imagine any reason NOT to change hoses to the metal ones with
the auto shut-off. Even if your washer is in the garage, who wants to
deal with a wet floor and water possibly sprayed everywhere?

A hose could burst in the middle of the night, and you'll hear the
water running and have to deal with it then. Why not deal with it on
your next trip to HD or Lowes instead?

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:17:24 -0700, wrote:

In article QSahi.13$Nw5.10@trndny04, says...

The problem
with the existing valves is that eventually they get so hard to turn

that
you don't turn them off between wash sessions [....]

I don't know anyone who does turn off their valves between wash
sessions. Most houses have the valves inacessible behind the machine,
you'd have to climb on top of the machine or pull the machine away from
the wall to turn off the valves.

I know a few people who turn their valves off on vacation, when the
house is going to be unoccupied for weeks, but most don't even do that.

Does anyone actually turn off their valves between every load of wash?

I've never turned them off. Never had a hose break.

Never had a hose failure!! Never say never--all you need is to experience a
burst hose just once. To me it's down right stupid to expose yourself to
all the problems that go along with a hose failure, especially if you're not
home when it happens. As advised, replace the existing hoses with the
braided metal ones, simple and inexpensive. Next level of protection is to
replace both supply valves with a single lever "ball type" shuts off As a
minimum, always shut both valves when the machine is not in use. Not
convinced?? Just picture what would happen if you're not home when a hose
breaks--and one of these days it will.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jul 3, 10:06 am, "MLD" wrote:
[...]

MLD- Hide quoted text -

Boring story:

I had one of those little Kenmore roll around the kitchen and plug
into the faucet portable washing machines. Worked perfectly for years,
until the one day i left the house for an afternoon right after
turning it on. The inlet valve stuck open, and it filled the basement
with water. (I lived on the first floor). The valve never stuck again
after that one time; but then again I never left it alone again.
These damn things know when your back is turned, then they strike.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 3, 10:06 am, "MLD" wrote:
[...]

Not boring at all--just a lesson to the ones that say--"I never had a
problem". In your case it was leaving a major appliance on and then leaving
the house. In my case, and I was home a the time---my gas dryer finished
it's cycle, shut the blower off but the gas valve was stuck open so the
flame never went off.. Smoke coming up from the basement alerted us and
when I touched the dryer I burnt my hand on the body of the machine it was
so hot. I imagine I was only a short time away a from the start of a major
fire. Turned the machine right on and started getting air through it, cooled
things down before there was any major damage other than the dryer. Dumped
it the next day.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:06:20 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

As a MIMINUM???? What more would you do if that's the minimum???? Turn
off the main supply to the house? Disconnect the hoses entirely?
Install plugs in the ends of the supply lines????

I've heard of houses blowing up from gas line leaks. It may not happen
as often as a water leak but when it happens its 100 times worse. Do
you turn off all your gas appliances every time you leave the house?

I've heard of toasters catching fire, do you unplug your toaster,
coffee pot, etc???

Minimum meaning if you don't do anything else, at least do that. Having
said that, you sound like a real asshole!! Either that or your hat size is
slightly higher than your IQ. Hmm, on second thought maybe both apply.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:25:12 -0700, z wrote:

Boring story:

I had one of those little Kenmore roll around the kitchen and plug

I had a Whirlpool or Kenmore roll-around, but it wasn't little. It was
as big as a full-size machine. Had a big lever in the back to lower
the wheels. But I had a place to put it so I didn't have to roll it
around. I found this thing on the street in Brooklyn, directly across
the street from my apartment. The wheels were great for rolling it
home, and I think it only took 2 hours to fix. I replaced the dial,
which was totally external, and IIRC there was something else wrong,
and by the time I had drilled out one or two rusted screws in the
back, and unscrewed the rest, whatever was bad was working again. Must
have been the drill's vibration. Worked fine for years after that.

into the faucet portable washing machines. Worked perfectly for years,
until the one day i left the house for an afternoon right after

Until the one day my new roommate did her laundry. I told her never
to leave the kitchen when the machine was running, but of course she
did, and the washer ran over. Fortunately I came home or out of my
room before there was enough water to leak downstairs.

But the strange thing is it never ran over before or after. And none
of her clothes were stuck in the machine. I didn't have to do anything
to ix it. She was a real ditz. She borrowed sheets from me and then
got her eye makeup all over them. She dropped the grill from the oven
onto the vinyl kitchen chair and burned a couple stripes onto it.
Then denied she'd done it, even though I heard it happen. And heard
her voice before and after, trying to memorize about 100 drink
garnishes, plus ice or not, for her job as a Playboy bunny. Yes, I
lived for 6 months with a Playboy bunny, but she wasn't very
attactive. Too skinny and flat chested, but when tne NYC Playboy club
had its 3-day grand opening, employees were allowed to bring friends,
and I and another roommate were her only friends in NY, and she
invited us. You should have seen her in her costume, as busty as any
of the other girls. But at home she wore sleeveless blouses and I
could look in one arm and out the other with nothing in between to
interfere with the view.

She never brought boys home, but I was going to kick her out because
she made me nervous. That didnt' seem like a good reason, so when I
made a special trip home from a visit at my mother's I stalled around
and my luck, she told me she was moving. That's a story in itself.

turning it on. The inlet valve stuck open, and it filled the basement
with water. (I lived on the first floor). The valve never stuck again
after that one time; but then again I never left it alone again.

I did leave mine alone, at least I went into the other room, and it
never overflowed again!

These damn things know when your back is turned, then they strike.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 19:22:26 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

Not boring at all--just a lesson to the ones that say--"I never had a
problem". In your case it was leaving a major appliance on and then leaving
the house. In my case, and I was home a the time---my gas dryer finished
it's cycle, shut the blower off but the gas valve was stuck open so the
flame never went off..

This might answer a question in another thread, about whether one
could turn off the blower without turning off the.....I remember, that
was the AC, so it's not the same thing. Still, there's a lesson in
your story that I'm sure is broader than your one situation.

Smoke coming up from the basement alerted us and
when I touched the dryer I burnt my hand on the body of the machine it was
so hot. I imagine I was only a short time away a from the start of a major
fire. Turned the machine right on and started getting air through it, cooled
things down before there was any major damage other than the dryer. Dumped
it the next day.
MLD

The closest stories I have are leaving some candles lit when I went
out. They were wooden candle sticks and one candle set fire to the
candle stick, burned out the side, and the candle fell onto the
formica counter top. Fortunately, that was the end of it.

Also, I went out leaving the dishwasher running, the first time I used
it I think, and I didn't have dishwashing soap so I used Tide, iirc,
and when I got home there were suds all over the kitchen floor. It
was like an I Love Lucy episode, if they had been able to afford a
dishwasher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MLD" wrote:

Smoke coming up from the basement alerted us and
when I touched the dryer I burnt my hand on the body of the machine it was
so hot. I imagine I was only a short time away a from the start of a major
fire. Turned the machine right on and started getting air through it, cooled

wow...very scary!!

Glad you caught it when you did!
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jul 4, 4:43 pm, mm wrote:

The closest stories I have are leaving some candles lit when I went
out. They were wooden candle sticks and one candle set fire to the
candle stick, burned out the side, and the candle fell onto the
formica counter top. Fortunately, that was the end of it.

That happened to my parents. Left candles buring in these
candleholders made of acrylic and left the house. When the flame got
down there, apparently the acrylic just kept burning, down to the
Formica on the counter. The Formica burned through until it hit the
plywood of the counter; and the plywood wouldn't burn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 1:03?pm, z wrote:
On Jul 4, 4:43 pm, mm wrote:

The closest stories I have are leaving some candles lit when I went
out. They were wooden candle sticks and one candle set fire to the
candle stick, burned out the side, and the candle fell onto the
formica counter top. Fortunately, that was the end of it.

That happened to my parents. Left candles buring in these
candleholders made of acrylic and left the house. When the flame got
down there, apparently the acrylic just kept burning, down to the
Formica on the counter. The Formica burned through until it hit the
plywood of the counter; and the plywood wouldn't burn.

my wife had her candle burning privelages permanetely revocked for
multiple stupidity.

left big fat candle burning on tv, it burned down then burned out the
side overnight, dumping wax into the tv and down the wall. lucky no
fire.

she promised to be more careful then lit a candle on a chipboard shelf
unit, and charred the shelf above. I caught it just in time.

no more candles for her, being a highly educated RN doesnt mean you
have common sense

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:20:43 -0000, "
wrote:

On Jul 5, 1:03?pm, z wrote:
On Jul 4, 4:43 pm, mm wrote:

[...]

I agree.

being a highly educated RN doesnt mean you
have common sense

Don't nurses use candles for cupping?

You know, to draw out the evil spirits?