Vince

Default Washing Machine Valves

The existing control valves are leaking and I want to replace them (32
yrs old).

Home Depot sells valves named "washing machine valve". The have the
typical washer at end of cylinder that travels.

I dont know if these are gate valves or ball valves or whatever.

Which type should I use as a replacement?

Thanks.

Savvy 1

"Vince" wrote in message

The existing control valves are leaking and I want to replace them (32
yrs old).

Home Depot sells valves named "washing machine valve". The have the
typical washer at end of cylinder that travels.

I dont know if these are gate valves or ball valves or whatever.

Which type should I use as a replacement?

Thanks.

I wouldn't think it would matter as long as the size of the valve inlet
matched your existing supply pipes.

S1

Mikepier

I agree. I used "boiler valves" that they sell. It's the same thing.

Tom

"Vince" wrote in message

The existing control valves are leaking and I want to replace them (32
yrs old).

Home Depot sells valves named "washing machine valve". The have the
typical washer at end of cylinder that travels.

I dont know if these are gate valves or ball valves or whatever.

Which type should I use as a replacement?

Thanks.

Sounds like you're describing a gate valve. I would find a washing machine
valve that uses ball valves. With these you can turn off both the hot and
cold water source with a quarter turn of the valve lever. And you should
always turn off the water when done washing. The solenoid mix valves in
washing machines are prone to failure (usually when you've left the house
for a long weekend) and can open up and flood the house even though the
machine is turned off. That's to say nothing about the hoses bursting
sometimes, also. I've sold washers for over 25 years and I believe that all
instruction manuals still caution you to turn off the water. You'll never
get in the habit of turning off the water if you have to crank down two gate
valves each time.
Tom.

washing machine move mike guitar UK diy 1 January 26th 05 10:38 PM
HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 01:45 PM
Box/Valve to prevent washing machine hose break and flooding? kevins_news2 Home Repair 19 April 27th 04 05:16 PM
short washing machine drain hose Kerry Hoskin UK diy 14 January 26th 04 05:50 PM