Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

Default 'Blanking caps' for washing machine isolator valves?

Having recently replaced my hot+cold fill washing machine with a
cold-fill only model I'm left with the hot washing machine supply valve
(3/4" thread) disconnected. To minimise the risk of the valve being
opened either accidentally or on purpose (e.g. 'I wonder what this
does?' from an inquisitive child) I was planning on removing the lever
however I was wondering if it's possible to get some form of blanking
cap to screw onto the open valve so the lever can remain in place
(it'll only get lost otherwise)?

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 2 Apr 2006 13:39:42 -0700, "Mathew Newton"
wrote:

Having recently replaced my hot+cold fill washing machine with a
cold-fill only model I'm left with the hot washing machine supply valve
(3/4" thread) disconnected. To minimise the risk of the valve being
opened either accidentally or on purpose (e.g. 'I wonder what this
does?' from an inquisitive child) I was planning on removing the lever
however I was wondering if it's possible to get some form of blanking
cap to screw onto the open valve so the lever can remain in place
(it'll only get lost otherwise)?

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Mathew

Yes. Plumber's merchants have them to temporarily blank off
compression fittings. You need a flat rubber washer in the cap to
seal it, or you can wrap a few turns of PTFE tape around the male part
of the valve.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

wrote:

Having recently replaced my hot+cold fill washing machine with a
cold-fill only model I'm left with the hot washing machine supply valve
(3/4" thread) disconnected. To minimise the risk of the valve being
opened either accidentally or on purpose (e.g. 'I wonder what this
does?' from an inquisitive child) I was planning on removing the lever
however I was wondering if it's possible to get some form of blanking
cap to screw onto the open valve so the lever can remain in place
(it'll only get lost otherwise)?

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Mathew

Yes. Plumber's merchants have them to temporarily blank off
compression fittings. You need a flat rubber washer in the cap to
seal it, or you can wrap a few turns of PTFE tape around the male part
of the valve.

you could also use a compression/solder cap end on a small pieace of
pipe. apply an olive and nut and screw on to washer valve! usually the
type of stuff you have knocking around???????
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Having recently replaced my hot+cold fill washing machine with a
cold-fill only model I'm left with the hot washing machine supply valve
(3/4" thread) disconnected. To minimise the risk of the valve being
opened either accidentally or on purpose (e.g. 'I wonder what this
does?' from an inquisitive child) I was planning on removing the lever
however I was wondering if it's possible to get some form of blanking

you could also use a compression/solder cap end on a small pieace of
pipe. apply an olive and nut and screw on to washer valve! usually the
type of stuff you have knocking around???????

Or just hammer the end flat, fold it over, and solder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

Andy Hall wrote:

Yes. Plumber's merchants have them to temporarily blank off
compression fittings. You need a flat rubber washer in the cap to
seal it, or you can wrap a few turns of PTFE tape around the male part
of the valve.

Okay, thanks for that - I though they must exist however have been
surprised to not see them in the likes of SF, TS and to a lesser extent
B&Q. Just goes to show I suppose...

Will call into a plumbers merchant and pick up a couple.. failing that
I'll do what Gav suggested and rustle something up.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On 3 Apr 2006 08:04:12 -0700, "Mathew Newton"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Yes. Plumber's merchants have them to temporarily blank off
compression fittings. You need a flat rubber washer in the cap to
seal it, or you can wrap a few turns of PTFE tape around the male part
of the valve.

Okay, thanks for that - I though they must exist however have been
surprised to not see them in the likes of SF, TS and to a lesser extent
B&Q. Just goes to show I suppose...

Will call into a plumbers merchant and pick up a couple.. failing that
I'll do what Gav suggested and rustle something up.

I reckon '3/4" BSP end caps' should work as the magic incantation at the
plumbers merchant.
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Yes. Plumber's merchants have them to temporarily blank off
compression fittings. You need a flat rubber washer in the cap to
seal it, or you can wrap a few turns of PTFE tape around the male part
of the valve.

Okay, thanks for that - I though they must exist however have been
surprised to not see them in the likes of SF, TS and to a lesser extent
B&Q. Just goes to show I suppose...

Will call into a plumbers merchant and pick up a couple.. failing that
I'll do what Gav suggested and rustle something up.

I reckon '3/4" BSP end caps' should work as the magic incantation at the
plumbers merchant.

Is that what these things are intended for ..fitting inside an
existing compression cap to blank off a fitting .??..also available in
10 and 15 mm

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=96449

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

wrote:

I reckon '3/4" BSP end caps' should work as the magic incantation at the
plumbers merchant.

Is that what these things are intended for ..fitting inside an existing
compression cap to blank off a fitting .??..also available in 10 and 15
mm

No, 22mm compression fittings are not the same as 3/4" BSP (though 15mm
and 1/2" BSP use the same threads).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

wrote:

I reckon '3/4" BSP end caps' should work as the magic incantation at the
plumbers merchant.

Is that what these things are intended for ..fitting inside an existing
compression cap to blank off a fitting .??..also available in 10 and 15
mm

No, 22mm compression fittings are not the same as 3/4" BSP (though 15mm
and 1/2" BSP use the same threads).

Yes but are those things intended for blanking off compression
fittings ...Thats what I was asking altho' it might not have been
clear .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim_in_sussex

Chris Cowley wrote:

Yes. Plumber's merchants have them to temporarily blank off
compression fittings. You need a flat rubber washer in the cap to
seal it, or you can wrap a few turns of PTFE tape around the male part
of the valve.

Okay, thanks for that - I though they must exist however have been
surprised to not see them in the likes of SF, TS and to a lesser extent
B&Q. Just goes to show I suppose...

hard luck! I tried 2 B&Qs (Warehouses) about 10 days ago for the same,
one was sold out, but there was a hanging slot for them & the other had
a box with just 1 in it. about a quid IIRC

must be a fast seller, but then I suppose you only try twisting the
valve on once without one....

BTW 3/4BSP it is & PTFE tape did the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

jim_in_sussex wrote:

hard luck! I tried 2 B&Qs (Warehouses) about 10 days ago for the same,
one was sold out, but there was a hanging slot for them & the other had
a box with just 1 in it. about a quid IIRC

must be a fast seller, but then I suppose you only try twisting the
valve on once without one....

BTW 3/4BSP it is & PTFE tape did the job.

Thanks for that Jim - I must've overlooked them given I live in what
seems to be the home of B&Q warehouses (Bristol) - we've got at least
four of them within 10 miles (and a couple of the smaller ones too).

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:32:18 +0100, Stuart wrote:

Yes but are those things intended for blanking off compression
fittings ...Thats what I was asking altho' it might not have been
clear .

Sorry: yes