Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Piercing a 4 inch gas line

I recently bought a couple of acres with a leanto cabin in a
wilderness setting and discovered a 4 inch gas line across the back.

I'd like to come up with a safe way to pierce the gas line and have
heat for my cabin. No electricity, so need to do it manually.

Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Homer wrote:
I recently bought a couple of acres with a leanto cabin in a
wilderness setting and discovered a 4 inch gas line across the back.

I'd like to come up with a safe way to pierce the gas line and have
heat for my cabin. No electricity, so need to do it manually.

Sure -- a RPG and you would undoubtedly have both heat and light...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Homer" wrote in message

I recently bought a couple of acres with a leanto cabin in a
wilderness setting and discovered a 4 inch gas line across the back.

I'd like to come up with a safe way to pierce the gas line and have
heat for my cabin. No electricity, so need to do it manually.

Any ideas?

Have the Gas company do it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:37:03 -0500, Homer wrote:

I recently bought a couple of acres with a leanto cabin in a
wilderness setting and discovered a 4 inch gas line across the back.

I'd like to come up with a safe way to pierce the gas line and have
heat for my cabin. No electricity, so need to do it manually.

Any ideas?

The answer is obvious. Take a cutting torch and cut a hole in the
pipe so you can weld on a nipple to attach your line. I dont need to
explain any further, because you wont get any further than that.....

The best way to get criminals off the streets without cost to
taxpayers is to let them self destruct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Homer wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS

Please don't feed the troll, who has already beenPlonked by so
many regulars on here.

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Is this a troll? Most pipelines are much bigger than 4" and if you just
bought the land you would have been informed about a pipeline easement
running across it!

To tap it you find a really good welder with a pipeline license and have him
weld a "No-blow" tee onto it. You use power equipment to drive the bolt into
the tee which pierces the pipeline and then supplies the gas through your
pipe. The rest of the problem is finding the equipment to treat the gas and
control the pressure so you can use it. But this is a troll, you won't be
doing this.

wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:37:03 -0500, Homer wrote:

I recently bought a couple of acres with a leanto cabin in a
wilderness setting and discovered a 4 inch gas line across the back.

I'd like to come up with a safe way to pierce the gas line and have
heat for my cabin. No electricity, so need to do it manually.

Any ideas?

The answer is obvious. Take a cutting torch and cut a hole in the
pipe so you can weld on a nipple to attach your line. I dont need to
explain any further, because you wont get any further than that.....

The best way to get criminals off the streets without cost to
taxpayers is to let them self destruct.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Homer wrote:
I recently bought a couple of acres with a leanto cabin in a
wilderness setting and discovered a 4 inch gas line across the back.

I'd like to come up with a safe way to pierce the gas line and have
heat for my cabin. No electricity, so need to do it manually.

Any ideas?

Make sure your will is updated first. No sense punishing the innocent.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:37:03 -0500, Homer wrote:

I recently bought a couple of acres with a leanto cabin in a
wilderness setting and discovered a 4 inch gas line across the back.

I'd like to come up with a safe way to pierce the gas line and have
heat for my cabin. No electricity, so need to do it manually.

Any ideas?

I found a cable tv line in my back yard. I'd like to know a safe way
to tap into that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Homer wrote:
I recently bought a couple of acres with a leanto cabin in a
wilderness setting and discovered a 4 inch gas line across the back.

I'd like to come up with a safe way to pierce the gas line and have
heat for my cabin. No electricity, so need to do it manually.

Any ideas?

Hmm,
Unless you are trolling, trying to steal NG and some free heat?
Forget it for your own safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

saw it on this old house

there are self piercing gas connections available at plumbing supply
places.

unearth and clean line, valve piercer bolts permanetely to line. use
wrench to turn and cut hole, valve off. then connect pipes to wherever
your going.

pipeline companies inspect there lines by federal law. remember get
caught jail has no internet access

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not to mention that those cross country lines are high pressure and without
proper regulating equipment, he's not going to be able to use it anyway.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
saw it on this old house

there are self piercing gas connections available at plumbing supply
places.

unearth and clean line, valve piercer bolts permanetely to line. use
wrench to turn and cut hole, valve off. then connect pipes to wherever
your going.

pipeline companies inspect there lines by federal law. remember get
caught jail has no internet access

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:51:40 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Is this a troll? Most pipelines are much bigger than 4" and if you just
bought the land you would have been informed about a pipeline easement
running across it!

To tap it you find a really good welder with a pipeline license and have him
weld a "No-blow" tee onto it. You use power equipment to drive the bolt into
the tee which pierces the pipeline and then supplies the gas through your
pipe. The rest of the problem is finding the equipment to treat the gas and
control the pressure so you can use it. But this is a troll, you won't be
doing this.

This guys photo is shown he
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeweled-Troll-Do...QQcmdZViewItem