Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing gas line to gas light

A technitian from our gas company told me that gas pipe line to a gas
light in our garden is leaking and needs be repaired. I dugged up lawn
to expose the entire line of 100 feets and found multiple leaking
spots. A yellow plastic pipe is used except short length of one end
section which is copper pipe. I am going to have the entire line
replaced by a single copper pipe. I am wondering if this is something I
can do myself. It appears not so difficult. Is there anyone who did
this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Electric will probbably save you money, is very DIY friendly, and you
can install a timer or light sensor to pick its on times.

With compact fluroscent lamp its very efficent too, and can be briter
than a gas lamp, with no leaks ever

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

wrote in message
oups.com...
A technitian from our gas company told me that gas pipe line to a gas
light in our garden is leaking and needs be repaired. I dugged up lawn
to expose the entire line of 100 feets and found multiple leaking
spots. A yellow plastic pipe is used except short length of one end
section which is copper pipe. I am going to have the entire line
replaced by a single copper pipe. I am wondering if this is something I
can do myself. It appears not so difficult. Is there anyone who did
this?

Many places require that a certified gas fitter do the work. Also, I really
would question using copper line. Plastic would probably last longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message ...
I am wondering if this is something I
can do myself. It appears not so difficult. Is there anyone who did
this?

If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it. Learn first under the
watch of a skilled person, then do it. Gas is not something you want to
experiment with. Local codes may prohibit you anyway.

The most difficult part is digging the line up. You already did the hard
labor, get a pro to make the connections for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gas may look romantic but burning it 24 / 7 is wasting a valuable
natural resource

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all responded.

The light is serving as ornamental purpose as well and our Home Owner
Association does not allow us to change. Anyway it looks very
aesthetic and we like it.

We aggree to that gas light is wastfull since it is on even during the
day time.

It is true we did the hardest part of the work. We are leaning towards
letting a pro to do the the rest but I just wanted to ask about DIY
route.

Do I better off using plastic rather than copper? Our present gas leak
problem is due to clacks on the pipe. The clacks appears caused by
tree roots either pressing or pinching the pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On 15 Jun 2006 05:58:09 -0700, "
wrote:

Electric will probbably save you money, is very DIY friendly, and you
can install a timer or light sensor to pick its on times.

With compact fluroscent lamp its very efficent too, and can be briter
than a gas lamp, with no leaks ever

I remember walking around here one night when the electricity was off.
A few people still had lights in their yards. Those were gas lights.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"George" wrote in message

The gas company in my area required everyone to take them out of service
at least 15 years ago because they are wasteful.

Many years ago, our street had gas lights. They were off during the day and
the lamplighter came around at dusk and lit them. This was in Philadelphia,
in 1950

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Hard

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:30:22 -0500, Richard Thoms

Electric will probbably save you money, is very DIY friendly, and you
can install a timer or light sensor to pick its on times.

With compact fluroscent lamp its very efficent too, and can be briter
than a gas lamp, with no leaks ever

Electric is definitely easier but it's not quite as romantic is it? I
guess it depends on whether the lamp is used in a decorative situation.
I think gas lamps that show the flame are really neat additions.

Romantic ????
Some expensive gas burning in a jar......
How is that romantic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Burying a el;ectric line along side the gas line is a excellent idea.

One day such wasteful uses will be illegal.

You could put a in the ground electric outlet for convenience use if
you want

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

" wrote:

Yeah nearly every gas lamp was removed by law here too.

The OP may find a minimum bury depth for the new line. If he goes with
plastic and it crosses any area where it might get damaged I would put
it in conduit pipe for mechanical protection

And don't forget to run a wire (usually yellow) along with the plastic
pipe, so that it can be found by a metal detector in the future.

That is what the local gas company does when they replace the line to a
house.

--
If I had something witty to say, this is where I'd say it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Herb Stein

wrote in message
oups.com...
gas may look romantic but burning it 24 / 7 is wasting a valuable
natural resource

Get over it. He's paying for it so the tree-huggers can pound sand.
I went through this crap in the middle 1970's with a 350 hp '67
Mustang getting about 9 mpg. Who cares? When you buy my gas,
feel free to tell me how to use it.

By the way, I leave my porch light (electric) on every night to
illuminate my American flag. I also leave at least 6 computers
running 24/7. Of course the eco-nuts can't see that.

Ever look at a picture of an off-shore oil rig flaming off natural gas?
What they burn off in a day would probably run a large subdivision
for a year.

Just my $.02.
--
Herb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some think wasting a valuable natural irreplaceable resouce doesnt
matter

Well global warming might change their mind if a storm destroys their
home.

Its just common sense to avoiid wasting stuff.

sadly too many lack that common sense

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

1/4" copper should be just fine. Copper and black iron is all that was
used until we came up with the yuppified plastic ****.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to all responded.

The light is serving as ornamental purpose as well and our Home Owner
Association does not allow us to change. Anyway it looks very
aesthetic and we like it.

We aggree to that gas light is wastfull since it is on even during the
day time.

It is true we did the hardest part of the work. We are leaning towards
letting a pro to do the the rest but I just wanted to ask about DIY
route.

Do I better off using plastic rather than copper? Our present gas leak
problem is due to clacks on the pipe. The clacks appears caused by
tree roots either pressing or pinching the pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"khonjo" wrote in message

I know I have to get a copper pipe but do not know exactly what else is
needed and how to join each end of the pipe to the gas light or the
gas meter. Have you ever done this?

You can see some available fittings here
http://www.doityourself.com/icat/brflarecokfitswvlreg
http://www.ez-flo.net/?page=catalog&category_id=17122

I can't see what you have now so I can't tell you what you need to make the
connection. I do know, that if you don't know, it is time to call a pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair
khonjo

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"khonjo" wrote in message

I know I have to get a copper pipe but do not know exactly what else is
needed and how to join each end of the pipe to the gas light or the
gas meter. Have you ever done this?

You can see some available fittings here
http://www.doityourself.com/icat/brflarecokfitswvlreg
http://www.ez-flo.net/?page=catalog&category_id=17122

I can't see what you have now so I can't tell you what you need to make the
connection. I do know, that if you don't know, it is time to call a pro.

A connector on the gas light fixture is female for 3/8 and a connector
on the meter side is male for 3/8. It appears that I need to get
connectors of appropriate gender which to be fit on both ends of the
copper pipe which is to be installed. I read a book at a local Home
Depot store and it appears to indicate that a type of connector fitting
I need is "pressure fit connector". Is my understanding correct?
What I am wondering is how to make joint air tight(or gas tight)
between the pipe and the connector fit on the pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In many areas of country you MUST be a licensed plumber to do outside
gas line work.

If you DIY and theres a later poblem you could be held liable.

Like someone walking by tosses match and blows up

Some $ isnt worth the hassles*

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Yep, and freedom to choose will be a thing of the past. Land of the
free, and the home of the regulated.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...

One day such wasteful uses will be illegal.