Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Now that I have it narrowed to a Sears Kenmore - bag or bagless?

wrote in message
I'm getting the Sears Kenmore mainly to pick up cat hair and dust mites
burrowed deep into an old carpet.

Some recommend the bagless Kenmore, but it seems to be a dirty task, with
constantly emptying the cannister.

Am I correct?

They're listed here (looks like there's a new bag model 35922 & bagless
model #35933. CR recommended the 35922 and 35923)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/subca...seBVCookie=Yes

I like the idea of just taking out a bag and tossing it into the trash.
Seems much neater than any bagless. Cost of bags is only a few dollars a
year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
I'm getting the Sears Kenmore mainly to pick up cat hair and dust mites
burrowed deep into an old carpet.

Some recommend the bagless Kenmore, but it seems to be a dirty task, with
constantly emptying the cannister.

Am I correct?

They're listed here (looks like there's a new bag model 35922 & bagless
model #35933. CR recommended the 35922 and 35923)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/subca...seBVCookie=Yes

I like the idea of just taking out a bag and tossing it into the trash.
Seems much neater than any bagless. Cost of bags is only a few dollars a
year.

I recently bought a Hoover bagless and returned because of the mess and
exchanged
it for a bag type. My son has a Dyson bagless and it is not any better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...
I like the idea of just taking out a bag and tossing it into the
trash. Seems much neater than any bagless. Cost of bags is only a
few dollars a year.

I recently bought a Hoover bagless and returned because of the mess
and exchanged
it for a bag type. My son has a Dyson bagless and it is not any
better.

I don't mind the idea of using a bag, but does anyone have an implementation of
that idea that isn't a royal PITA when changing them? Most bag vacs I've used
have been very awkward in that area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
t...

I don't mind the idea of using a bag, but does anyone have an
implementation of that idea that isn't a royal PITA when changing them?
Most bag vacs I've used have been very awkward in that area.

What is the PITA about changing vacuum bags? I mean, you open the machine,
swap out the dirty bag for a clean one, toss the dirty one and go. The
biggest problem I have, is remembering which damn size to buy at the grocery
store. I can never remember if I need H or Z or whatever. But other than
that, I don't consider that changing the bag even begins to approach the
frequency, complication and dirtiness of emptying the bagless kind. But
perhaps you have a more complicated bagged model? Most of the ones I've
used have been upright. They're simple to change bags on.

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna wrote:
"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
t...

I don't mind the idea of using a bag, but does anyone have an
implementation of that idea that isn't a royal PITA when changing
them? Most bag vacs I've used have been very awkward in that area.

What is the PITA about changing vacuum bags? I mean, you open the
machine, swap out the dirty bag for a clean one, toss the dirty one
and go. The biggest problem I have, is remembering which damn size
to buy at the grocery store. I can never remember if I need H or Z
or whatever. But other than that, I don't consider that changing the
bag even begins to approach the frequency, complication and dirtiness
of emptying the bagless kind. But perhaps you have a more
complicated bagged model? Most of the ones I've used have been
upright. They're simple to change bags on.
Donna

We currently have a Hoover model that uses "Z" bags a believe. You unfold the
bag and press the cardboard hole in the bag over a horiziontal pipe facing
straight out and the hole is near (but not at) the top of the bag.

You basically find the tube by feeling for it and there is no positive feedback
that you have the bag inserted far enough over the tube. While getting the rest
of the bag positioned for closing the compartment it is easy to dislodge the
bag. Also when removing a full bag the horizontal not-quite-at-the-top design
causes some spillage.

PITA might be somewhat overstating it, but it certainly doesn't strike me as a
particularly well thought-out design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna wrote:
"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
t...

We currently have a Hoover model that uses "Z" bags a believe. You unfold
the bag and press the cardboard hole in the bag over a horiziontal pipe
facing straight out and the hole is near (but not at) the top of the bag.

You basically find the tube by feeling for it and there is no positive
feedback that you have the bag inserted far enough over the tube. While
getting the rest of the bag positioned for closing the compartment it is
easy to dislodge the bag. Also when removing a full bag the horizontal
not-quite-at-the-top design causes some spillage.

How funny -- I think we have the same vacuum cleaner.

PITA might be somewhat overstating it, but it certainly doesn't strike me
as a particularly well thought-out design.

Just wait until you start using the bagless vacumm. the bag changing
process will begin to feel like a MOMA design award winner, compared to what
you have to do to get the bagless ones to work well. We have both, and I
refuse to use the bagless one, because it's a filthy, time-consuming job to
clean the filter and foam liner well enough so that it picks up dirt
adequately. I just hate it. YMMV, however.

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 06:39:24 -0500, "Rick Brandt"
wrote:

Donna wrote:
[...]

Are you missing the spring that goes around that tube?

Also when removing a full bag the horizontal not-quite-at-the-top design
causes some spillage.

Then do it outside. Turn the vacuum over and all the dust falls on
the ground. Where it goes after that, I don't know.

PITA might be somewhat overstating it, but it certainly doesn't strike me as a
particularly well thought-out design.

Got a better one? Maybe you can sell it to them.