Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt Rick Brandt is offline

Default Now that I have it narrowed to a Sears Kenmore - bag or bagless?

Donna wrote:
"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
t...

I don't mind the idea of using a bag, but does anyone have an
implementation of that idea that isn't a royal PITA when changing
them? Most bag vacs I've used have been very awkward in that area.

What is the PITA about changing vacuum bags? I mean, you open the
machine, swap out the dirty bag for a clean one, toss the dirty one
and go. The biggest problem I have, is remembering which damn size
to buy at the grocery store. I can never remember if I need H or Z
or whatever. But other than that, I don't consider that changing the
bag even begins to approach the frequency, complication and dirtiness
of emptying the bagless kind. But perhaps you have a more
complicated bagged model? Most of the ones I've used have been
upright. They're simple to change bags on.
Donna

We currently have a Hoover model that uses "Z" bags a believe. You unfold the
bag and press the cardboard hole in the bag over a horiziontal pipe facing
straight out and the hole is near (but not at) the top of the bag.

You basically find the tube by feeling for it and there is no positive feedback
that you have the bag inserted far enough over the tube. While getting the rest
of the bag positioned for closing the compartment it is easy to dislodge the
bag. Also when removing a full bag the horizontal not-quite-at-the-top design
causes some spillage.

PITA might be somewhat overstating it, but it certainly doesn't strike me as a
particularly well thought-out design.