Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clarification on Telephone Wiring Terms

I have bad disconnects and drops with my adsl connection. The phone
company says I'm in the top 10 regarding this problem. I asked if the
fee I pay every month for wiring maintenance cover redoing the in-home
wiring (as they already replaced bad wiring outside the home).

This is what they said:

The internal wire maintenance will take care of fixing any internal
problems with your wiring, but it generally does not cover running new
cable unless there was physical damage or something to that effect.
Wade told me that it was quite a hornets nest in your basement. If
you
find someone to re-wire your home to the ingress it's pretty likely
our
in-home wiring maintenance plan will cover re-tying that to the drop.
Our normal charge is $30/hour, I believe.

Unfortunately I do not know the lingo. What is the ingress and what is
the drop? Are they saying they don't do in-home wiring and that I
need to do it myself or hire another? I really just want to know what
those two words are referring to.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

This is what they said:

The internal wire maintenance will take care of fixing any internal
problems with your wiring, but it generally does not cover running new
cable unless there was physical damage or something to that effect.
Wade told me that it was quite a hornets nest in your basement. If
you
find someone to re-wire your home to the ingress it's pretty likely
our
in-home wiring maintenance plan will cover re-tying that to the drop.
Our normal charge is $30/hour, I believe.

Unfortunately I do not know the lingo. What is the ingress and what is
the drop? Are they saying they don't do in-home wiring and that I
need to do it myself or hire another? I really just want to know what
those two words are referring to.

"Ingress" in this context means where their external wire (the "drop")
physically enters the house -- through the basement wall, a hole
through a wall, stuck in through a window, whatever...

What they're saying is you get a new wire run to where it is
accessible to where their current wire is in their junction box
("drop"), then they'll hook it up for nothing extra beyond your
maintenance fee. Anything beyond that they'll charge $30/hr for
however long it takes...

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...

This is what they said:

The internal wire maintenance will take care of fixing any internal
problems with your wiring, but it generally does not cover running new
cable unless there was physical damage or something to that effect.
Wade told me that it was quite a hornets nest in your basement. If
you
find someone to re-wire your home to the ingress it's pretty likely
our
in-home wiring maintenance plan will cover re-tying that to the drop.
Our normal charge is $30/hour, I believe.

Unfortunately I do not know the lingo. What is the ingress and what is
the drop? Are they saying they don't do in-home wiring and that I
need to do it myself or hire another? I really just want to know what
those two words are referring to.

Dump the wire maintenance fee are replace the wire yourself. It's not
really that hard. You mentioned ADSL as well. Get some riser rated Cat5
cable, a Leviton Bridged 1x9 phone module, and a Levition whole house DSL
filter.

These products can be seen he

1x9 module:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...minisite=10028

DSL Splitter:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...minisite=10028

Find a good place in your basement to mount these two boards and work from
there. Bring a new line with new wire from your NID (phone box) outside,
connecting to it using the blue and blue/white wires in the Cat5 cable. Run
the new wire to the DSL filter board, then to the 1x9 bridged phone module.
Then pull home runs of Cat5 cable from locations throughout the house to the
1x9 phone module and connect there, always using the blue blue/white wires.
Do not cut off the other 6 wires in the bundle, wrap them around
out of the way and keep them. They may be needed as replacement or extra
lines in the future.

I wired my whole house for phone exactly as described as above, and it works
fantastic. It was great the get rid of all those stupid little DSL filters
I had around the house. This is easier to do if your computer network and
phone network all together in an enclosure. If that's too hard to do, at
least pull the home runs and use the 1x9 phone module or 66 block.

Good Luck!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...

1x9 module:http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...tion=11641&min...

DSL Splitter:http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...tion=10372&min...

[...]

Thanks very much guys - J.A. I was thinking of just doing it with Cat5
too! Thank you for your wonderful description - I won't get to it in
the next week but it looks like that's what I'll be doing as I have
1000 ft of Cat6 laying here and I recently purchased some Levington
parts to redo my LAN through the walls... looks like I'll just extend
that to the entire house. I'm sure I'll have questions for you so
stay tuned!

Posted to alt.home.repair

J.A.

Do I get

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...bg88N%253AS%7E

or

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...bg88N%253AS%7E

and

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...&section=10372

or

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...&section=10372

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 4:35 pm, "GG.and.UN." wrote:
On Jun 4, 4:28 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:

"GG.and.UN." wrote in message

roups.com...

I pay the monthly maintenance fee and had a problem with static on our
voice line. The phone company came in and rewired the whole interior
of the house for nothing. Did a beautiful job and labeled everything.
I have DSL that runs consistently over 1Mb/s, so whatever they did
worked. If you're paying that monthly maintenance fee, I'd press them
a little harder.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:32:47 -0700, "GG.and.UN."
wrote:

I have bad disconnects and drops with my adsl connection. The phone
company says I'm in the top 10 regarding this problem. I asked if the

Congratulations. I was 8th in Latin once, but nothing recently.

This is what they said:

The internal wire maintenance will take care of fixing any internal
problems with your wiring, but it generally does not cover running new
cable unless there was physical damage or something to that effect.

So it genereally doesn't cover running new cable, and it seems that
right now they aren't willing to repair your current cable. So what
does the internal wire maintenance charge cover??

Wade told me that it was quite a hornets nest in your basement. If
you
find someone to re-wire your home to the ingress it's pretty likely
our
in-home wiring maintenance plan will cover re-tying that to the drop.

And even this is only LIKELY? I thought this part was required even
if you don't have maintenance (This part I'm not sure of, but internal
maintenance is supposed to cover more than just this one chore.)

How long have you been paying this fee?

I once had an extra listing in the phone book for a dollar a month. I
didn't look at it, and found it was backwards 2 1/2 years after I got
it. They fixed the listing and gave me my 30 dollars back.

I think you should tell thenm that it's their obligation to fix it,
and see if they can prove youre wrong.

There a loads of hornets nests. They only have to concern themselves
with the phone wires. They do it all the time. (Note: I've never
actually pursuied an argument, or even had one, with the phone
company)

Our normal charge is $30/hour, I believe.

Unfortunately I do not know the lingo. What is the ingress and what is
the drop? Are they saying they don't do in-home wiring and that I
need to do it myself or hire another? I really just want to know what
those two words are referring to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the responses guys... I'll likely just redo everything with
Cat6/Cat5e cable... I like the sound of that.

I am on very good terms with the phone company business-relationship-
wise so I would like not to complain or fuss too much... I will if I
have to (and already slightly have since my last post) but rewiring
everything with Cat6/Cat5e cable sounds too fun to pass up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"GG.and.UN." wrote in message
ps.com...
J.A.

Do I get

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...bg88N%253AS%7E

or

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...bg88N%253AS%7E

and

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...&section=10372

or

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...&section=10372

Thanks!

Depends. The items you have shown are the same, the only difference is one
version comes with the mounting bracket, and the other doesn't.
If you are using a Leviton Structured Media panel, then use the one with the
bracket. The bracket allows you to snap them directly into the panel.
If you're not their media panel, then there's no reason to pay extra for the
bracket.

When I did my house, I fabricated my own Structured Media panel. I ran
Computer Network, Internet Access, Phone, and Satellite TV all to the
panel I had constructed. It makes a nice, easy modular system to configure
once it's done. If you ever need to new phone or network location, you just
pull a new homerun to the panel. Easy. Email me at: jm44316 (at) alltel
dot net, and I will send you photos of my structured media panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

[snip]

This is what they said:

The internal wire maintenance will take care of fixing any internal
problems with your wiring, but it generally does not cover running new
cable unless there was physical damage or something to that effect.

So it genereally doesn't cover running new cable, and it seems that
right now they aren't willing to repair your current cable. So what
does the internal wire maintenance charge cover??

Not much!!

IMHO, most interior wiring coverage by telcos is a waste of money. (1)
There rarely is any problem with internal wiring that would require their
repair, and (2) In the event a problem does come up, the homeowner or a
local electrician should be able to fix things. My recent experience with
this "service" reinforces my opinion.

Our telephone service includes interior wiring repair in the bill. The fine
print says they won't work in hazardous areas. The fine print doesn't tell
you they've defined attics as hazardous areas and won't work in attics --
which, of course, is where all of the telephone lines are. So if you have
an interior wiring problem in your attic, they won't work on it.

All they will do is run a replacement line around the outside of the house
to the room with the problem, then drill a hole through the exterior wall
(concrete block) into the room. They also were not concerned with
aesthetics and weren't going to do anything to conceal the exterior wire or
either side of the entry into the house.

Unfortunately, this "service" is now bundled with the local telephone
service (with an increase in the base price) so there is no way I can drop
this useless expense -- we need the landline for several reasons, including
the fact that cell service is intermittent at this location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message
nk.net...

"mm" wrote in message

[snip]

This is what they said:

[...]

You can't drop the line maint. fee? It is optional in our area. I don't
pay it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:46:37 GMT, "JimR" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

This is what they said:

[...]

Dang

All they will do is run a replacement line around the outside of the house
to the room with the problem, then drill a hole through the exterior wall
(concrete block) into the room. They also were not concerned with
aesthetics and weren't going to do anything to conceal the exterior wire or
either side of the entry into the house.

Unfortunately, this "service" is now bundled with the local telephone
service (with an increase in the base price) so there is no way I can drop

I guess I should check my bill.

this useless expense -- we need the landline for several reasons, including
the fact that cell service is intermittent at this location.

They want to sell me interior wiring maintenance for my cell phone.

I tell them there are no wires, but they keep calling.

230v Wiring Terms Query Please Bertie Doe UK diy 4 January 17th 07 11:06 PM
Telephone Wiring Bob Home Repair 33 September 14th 06 01:37 PM
Telephone wiring Richard A Downing UK diy 30 January 5th 06 04:40 PM
Telephone Wiring NewsReader Home Repair 10 October 23rd 05 03:24 AM
Telephone Wiring Max Home Repair 3 August 18th 05 10:43 AM