Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Clarification on Telephone Wiring Terms

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:32:47 -0700, "GG.and.UN."
wrote:

I have bad disconnects and drops with my adsl connection. The phone
company says I'm in the top 10 regarding this problem. I asked if the

Congratulations. I was 8th in Latin once, but nothing recently.

fee I pay every month for wiring maintenance cover redoing the in-home
wiring (as they already replaced bad wiring outside the home).

This is what they said:

The internal wire maintenance will take care of fixing any internal
problems with your wiring, but it generally does not cover running new
cable unless there was physical damage or something to that effect.

So it genereally doesn't cover running new cable, and it seems that
right now they aren't willing to repair your current cable. So what
does the internal wire maintenance charge cover??

Wade told me that it was quite a hornets nest in your basement. If
you
find someone to re-wire your home to the ingress it's pretty likely
our
in-home wiring maintenance plan will cover re-tying that to the drop.

And even this is only LIKELY? I thought this part was required even
if you don't have maintenance (This part I'm not sure of, but internal
maintenance is supposed to cover more than just this one chore.)

How long have you been paying this fee?

I once had an extra listing in the phone book for a dollar a month. I
didn't look at it, and found it was backwards 2 1/2 years after I got
it. They fixed the listing and gave me my 30 dollars back.

I think you should tell thenm that it's their obligation to fix it,
and see if they can prove youre wrong.

There a loads of hornets nests. They only have to concern themselves
with the phone wires. They do it all the time. (Note: I've never
actually pursuied an argument, or even had one, with the phone
company)

Our normal charge is $30/hour, I believe.

Unfortunately I do not know the lingo. What is the ingress and what is
the drop? Are they saying they don't do in-home wiring and that I
need to do it myself or hire another? I really just want to know what
those two words are referring to.