Posted to alt.home.repair
GG.and.UN. GG.and.UN. is offline

Default Clarification on Telephone Wiring Terms

On Jun 4, 4:28 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
"GG.and.UN." wrote in message

oups.com...

I have bad disconnects and drops with my adsl connection. The phone
company says I'm in the top 10 regarding this problem. I asked if the
fee I pay every month for wiring maintenance cover redoing the in-home
wiring (as they already replaced bad wiring outside the home).

This is what they said:

The internal wire maintenance will take care of fixing any internal
problems with your wiring, but it generally does not cover running new
cable unless there was physical damage or something to that effect.
Wade told me that it was quite a hornets nest in your basement. If
you
find someone to re-wire your home to the ingress it's pretty likely
our
in-home wiring maintenance plan will cover re-tying that to the drop.
Our normal charge is $30/hour, I believe.

Unfortunately I do not know the lingo. What is the ingress and what is
the drop? Are they saying they don't do in-home wiring and that I
need to do it myself or hire another? I really just want to know what
those two words are referring to.

Dump the wire maintenance fee are replace the wire yourself. It's not
really that hard. You mentioned ADSL as well. Get some riser rated Cat5
cable, a Leviton Bridged 1x9 phone module, and a Levition whole house DSL
filter.

These products can be seen he

1x9 module:http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...tion=11641&min...

DSL Splitter:http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...tion=10372&min...

Find a good place in your basement to mount these two boards and work from
there. Bring a new line with new wire from your NID (phone box) outside,
connecting to it using the blue and blue/white wires in the Cat5 cable. Run
the new wire to the DSL filter board, then to the 1x9 bridged phone module.
Then pull home runs of Cat5 cable from locations throughout the house to the
1x9 phone module and connect there, always using the blue blue/white wires.
Do not cut off the other 6 wires in the bundle, wrap them around
out of the way and keep them. They may be needed as replacement or extra
lines in the future.

I wired my whole house for phone exactly as described as above, and it works
fantastic. It was great the get rid of all those stupid little DSL filters
I had around the house. This is easier to do if your computer network and
phone network all together in an enclosure. If that's too hard to do, at
least pull the home runs and use the 1x9 phone module or 66 block.

Good Luck!!

Thanks very much guys - J.A. I was thinking of just doing it with Cat5
too! Thank you for your wonderful description - I won't get to it in
the next week but it looks like that's what I'll be doing as I have
1000 ft of Cat6 laying here and I recently purchased some Levington
parts to redo my LAN through the walls... looks like I'll just extend
that to the entire house. I'm sure I'll have questions for you so
stay tuned!