Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much is movie matinee where you are

On 28 May 2006 17:26:37 -0700, lid (Luu) wrote:

I don't go to the movies much so it seems every time I do it's sticker
shock time. $8 for matinee? Yowzer. I remember when it was $3. When
it got to $3.75, I was screaming bloody murder.

My family used to pile in the car and went to the drive in for $5. WEHT
the drive in? And we had this cheapie 2nd run theater that charged $3,
$1 on Wednedays. The floor was sticky, there was a huge yellow stain on
the screen, and people were selling pot in the bathroom. But before DVDs
and netflix, it was great. Ah, good times.

Sad thing is, for $8, I don't want to see some heartfelt human drama; I
don't want to see some low budget indie film shot on digital video; I
don't even want to see a laugh out loud comedy. I can see that stuff on
DVD. No, for $8, I want to see the blockbusters where stuff get blown up
real good. That usuually means movies with a number after the title.
Then I gripe about how Hollywood doesn't do anything original any more

did anyone see the Omen trailer? holy cow, it looks like a scene for
scene remake. what's the point? The superman trailer made me miss
Christopher Reeve and his megawatt smile. The new guy looks like the
scowling type. The best audience response was for My Super-Ex Girlfriend
(?), with a guy trying to break up with his g/f who turns out to have
super powers. Something different at least.

I remember a place in Milwaukee about 10 years ago that had movies for
$2.50 or $3.00. Place was packed on the Friday and Saturday nights.

Where I live now, we have to drive 30+ miles to get a movie. Last one
I saw in a theater was probably There's Something About Mary.

We finally have a theater coming to town, supposed to open in a month

regards,
-Jean

Posted to alt.home.repair

jean wrote:

[...]

Deja vu all over again....

You got me remembering the Saturday matinees I used to go to as a kid in
San Francisco.

Admission was 25 cents for which you got to see a "double feature" a
couple of cartoons, the week's newsreel and one episode of a "serial"
like the Lone Ranger.

Sometimes you even got handed a little piece of stale outdated candy as
you walked in.

Circa 1948 or so. G

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Deja vu all over again....

You got me remembering the Saturday matinees I used to go to as a kid in
San Francisco.

Admission was 25 cents for which you got to see a "double feature" a
couple of cartoons, the week's newsreel and one episode of a "serial"
like the Lone Ranger.

Sometimes you even got handed a little piece of stale outdated candy as
you walked in.

Circa 1948 or so. G

Gotcha beat. Our Saturday matinee was .09c, popcorn .10c, cola .05c.
and candy 2 for a penny. So our .25c covered the movie, popcorn,
drink, and 2 pieces of candy. Even saw Lash Larue on stage, in
person, one saturday. Had the cutest assistant I ever saw in my 8 yrs
of life - instant first love!

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Deja vu all over again....

You got me remembering the Saturday matinees I used to go to as a kid in
San Francisco.

Admission was 25 cents for which you got to see a "double feature" a
couple of cartoons, the week's newsreel and one episode of a "serial"
like the Lone Ranger.

Sometimes you even got handed a little piece of stale outdated candy as
you walked in.

Circa 1948 or so. G

Gotcha beat. Our Saturday matinee was .09c, popcorn .10c, cola .05c.
and candy 2 for a penny. So our .25c covered the movie, popcorn,
drink, and 2 pieces of candy. Even saw Lash Larue on stage, in
person, one saturday. Had the cutest assistant I ever saw in my 8 yrs
of life - instant first love!

Red

Jeepers, were the movies "talkies" back then. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote in
:

jean wrote:

[...]

I just saw "Shooter" for 75c,2nd run theater,on Tuesday,their 75c day.
Other 2nd run theaters charge $1.50-$2.00,1st run theaters cost $4 or $5+
for matinees,the megaplexes are highest.
I don't know what primetime charges are,I never go see movies at full
price.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 May 2007 14:09:53 -0700, Red wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Deja vu all over again....

You got me remembering the Saturday matinees I used to go to as a kid in
San Francisco.

Admission was 25 cents for which you got to see a "double feature" a
couple of cartoons, the week's newsreel and one episode of a "serial"
like the Lone Ranger.

Sometimes you even got handed a little piece of stale outdated candy as
you walked in.

Circa 1948 or so. G

Gotcha beat. Our Saturday matinee was .09c, popcorn .10c, cola .05c.
and candy 2 for a penny. So our .25c covered the movie, popcorn,
drink, and 2 pieces of candy. Even saw Lash Larue on stage, in
person, one saturday. Had the cutest assistant I ever saw in my 8 yrs
of life - instant first love!

Red

Is the following a correction, or did you really mean amounts that
were 1/100 of those? Notice that BOTH the '.' and the CENTS mean
hundredths. Using both makes it ten-thousandths.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Gotcha beat. Our Saturday matinee was 9c, popcorn 10c, cola 5c.
and candy 2 for a penny. So our 25c covered the movie, popcorn,
drink, and 2 pieces of candy. Even saw Lash Larue on stage, in
person, one saturday. Had the cutest assistant I ever saw in my 8 yrs
of life - instant first love!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim J wrote:

Is the following a correction, or did you really mean amounts that
were 1/100 of those? Notice that BOTH the '.' and the CENTS mean
hundredths. Using both makes it ten-thousandths.

I'm pretty sure he meant .25 dollars, not cents.

But, you knew that. LET"S STEP OUTSIDE!!! You routy drunken hooligan!

;-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clancy Wiggum wrote:

Jim J wrote:

Is the following a correction, or did you really mean amounts that
were 1/100 of those? Notice that BOTH the '.' and the CENTS mean
hundredths. Using both makes it ten-thousandths.

I'm pretty sure he meant .25 dollars, not cents.

But, you knew that. LET"S STEP OUTSIDE!!! You routy drunken hooligan!

;-))

Oh crap - I thought I was replying to Jeff... Sorry, you routy
hooligan!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
h wrote in :

lid (Luu) wrote:

I don't go to the movies much so it seems every time I do it's
sticker shock time. $8 for matinee? Yowzer. I remember when it
was $3. When it got to $3.75, I was screaming bloody murder.

We still have a $3.50 place for movies, and they're only about 3
months behind wide release. I love that place, because it's the
closest theatre to my house, and it's a stand-alone mini-cinema from
the 60s which shows pretty much all the "mainstream" stuff I want to
see. We also have a spectacular old vaudeville theatre which shows
movies a few times a month for $3.00, and they're about 6 months
behind. The theatre shows the "artsy" or "indy" films you can't find
elsewhere, at least not cheaply. Even the popcorn is cheap, and the
grandeur of the place can't be beat. Best thing is that there are very
few patrons and since the place seats over 2,000, you can always find
a seat with an unobstructed view away from anyone who's talking. I
can't remember the last time I paid more than $3.50 for a movie.

TWO thousand seats?? Yowza! that's a huge theater.

amazing it has stayed in business,with that low an attendance.
Two of my local 2nd run theaters closed due to poor attendance.

Oh, I should explain. They are a major touring venue with Phantom, Spamalot,
etc. Because they usually have major events, they only show movies a few
days a month, when the theatre is dark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 May 2007 17:36:01 -0500, Clancy Wiggum
wrote:

Clancy Wiggum wrote:

Jim J wrote:

Is the following a correction, or did you really mean amounts that
were 1/100 of those? Notice that BOTH the '.' and the CENTS mean
hundredths. Using both makes it ten-thousandths.

I'm pretty sure he meant .25 dollars, not cents.

But, you knew that. LET"S STEP OUTSIDE!!! You routy drunken hooligan!

;-))

Oh crap - I thought I was replying to Jeff... Sorry, you routy
hooligan!

You seem to have wandered into the wrong room. The little kids'
sandbox is outside. You'll see it when you go out the back door and
look to the left. It's right next to the "Danger: High Voltage" signs.

;-)