Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much is movie matinee where you are

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
h wrote in :

lid (Luu) wrote:

I don't go to the movies much so it seems every time I do it's
sticker shock time. $8 for matinee? Yowzer. I remember when it
was $3. When it got to $3.75, I was screaming bloody murder.

We still have a $3.50 place for movies, and they're only about 3
months behind wide release. I love that place, because it's the
closest theatre to my house, and it's a stand-alone mini-cinema from
the 60s which shows pretty much all the "mainstream" stuff I want to
see. We also have a spectacular old vaudeville theatre which shows
movies a few times a month for $3.00, and they're about 6 months
behind. The theatre shows the "artsy" or "indy" films you can't find
elsewhere, at least not cheaply. Even the popcorn is cheap, and the
grandeur of the place can't be beat. Best thing is that there are very
few patrons and since the place seats over 2,000, you can always find
a seat with an unobstructed view away from anyone who's talking. I
can't remember the last time I paid more than $3.50 for a movie.

TWO thousand seats?? Yowza! that's a huge theater.

amazing it has stayed in business,with that low an attendance.
Two of my local 2nd run theaters closed due to poor attendance.

Oh, I should explain. They are a major touring venue with Phantom, Spamalot,
etc. Because they usually have major events, they only show movies a few
days a month, when the theatre is dark.