Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default 6 yo lennox leaking freon

Had a new lennox high eff ac installed 6 years ago. Had it serviced this
year to clean the A coil. Week later the unit is out of freon. Called
themback and said it was most likely the A coil leaking although he could
not find the leak. Finally got a hold of the orig installer (diff co) and
he came over and pump it up at n/c 9 pounds of freon and a day and half
later the compressor shuts off due to low pressure (out of freon again).
Both techs cannot find the leak.

Leaking that fast should'nt it be easy to find the leak? Far fetched ?, but
could it leak on the pipe run from the compressor to the a coil somewhere
due to a crazy vibration that wore a hole in the line?

2nd tech says he soaped the a coil and used his leak detector and could not
find it leaking on the a coil.

What should I ask the tech to do to find the leak? Whats the proper
procedure?

thanks.

Mango

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:58:00 -0500, "Muffy Links"
wrote:

[...]

CAll his boss, ask for a COMPETENT tech this time. Specify
that it be a DIFFERENT guy. 9 lbs overnight is a HUGE leak.

thanks.

Mango

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:58:00 -0500, "Muffy Links" wrote:

Had a new lennox high eff ac installed 6 years ago. Had it serviced this
year to clean the A coil. Week later the unit is out of freon. Called
themback and said it was most likely the A coil leaking although he could
not find the leak. Finally got a hold of the orig installer (diff co) and
he came over and pump it up at n/c 9 pounds of freon and a day and half
later the compressor shuts off due to low pressure (out of freon again).
Both techs cannot find the leak.

Leaking that fast should'nt it be easy to find the leak? Far fetched ?, but
could it leak on the pipe run from the compressor to the a coil somewhere
due to a crazy vibration that wore a hole in the line?

They didn't check the hi-side line/connections for a leak?

2nd tech says he soaped the a coil and used his leak detector and could not
find it leaking on the a coil.

He did this right after adding 9 lbs?

What should I ask the tech to do to find the leak? Whats the proper
procedure?

I guess you could call back, ask for their most experienced
(certified) tech. Might wanna stop by the shop, talk to the
svc. mngr. firsthand, see if -he- looks competent.

They rarely check everywhere. I had a nasty leak back in '94,
nobody could find it. Finally a friend found the leak in
the condensing coil: my male dog had been sneaking around,
****ing on it (presumably) for about 10 years. Had to replace
the coil. I now have only female dawgs. :-)

Good Luck,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Might want to check the access fittings where he put the gages.
Sometimes those leak.

Couple days to lose a charge? That's a serious big leak.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: Leaking that fast should'nt it be easy to find the leak? Far
fetched ?, but
: could it leak on the pipe run from the compressor to the a coil
somewhere
: due to a crazy vibration that wore a hole in the line?
:
: 2nd tech says he soaped the a coil and used his leak detector
and could not
: find it leaking on the a coil.
:
: What should I ask the tech to do to find the leak? Whats the
proper
: procedure?
:
: thanks.
:
: Mango
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

[...]

As a followup, I went down stairs and traced the line coming out of the
furnace back to the compressor and I notice some oily residue about two feet
in under a finished room. I also noticed that the clip holding the line to
the floor joists rusty. Would a leak of that size leave an oily residue?

thanks for everyone's help btw.
Muffy

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Muffy Links wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
There is such things as Freeon sniffer or leaking indicating dye.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Refrigerant is mixed with lubricating oil. So, very often there
is an oil spot where the leak is.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Muffy Links" wrote in message
news : As a followup, I went down stairs and traced the line coming
out of the
: furnace back to the compressor and I notice some oily residue
about two feet
: in under a finished room. I also noticed that the clip holding
the line to
: the floor joists rusty. Would a leak of that size leave an
oily residue?
:
: thanks for everyone's help btw.
: Muffy
:
:
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Many techs can find leaks with beepers. Some dye can be mixed in
with the lubricating oil. And then detected with eye sight, or
ultraviolet light. If the system is under pressure, some folks
use soapy bubbles.

I would tend to avoid technicians who use tarot cards, dead
chickens, or salt shakers.

In my case, I've not tried dyes. However, I've had considerable
luck with leak beeper, and soap bubbles.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

:
: What should I ask the tech to do to find the leak? Whats the
proper
: procedure?
:
: thanks.
:
: Mango
:
:
: Hmmm,
: There is such things as Freeon sniffer or leaking indicating
dye.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Muffy Links" wrote in message
As a followup, I went down stairs and traced the line coming out of the
furnace back to the compressor and I notice some oily residue about two
feet in under a finished room. I also noticed that the clip holding the
line to the floor joists rusty. Would a leak of that size leave an oily
residue?

thanks for everyone's help btw.
Muffy

Yes.. You have more ability than the idiots they sent out. It would be fair
to pay for the repair of the leak, but you should not have to pay for a
re-charge because of the incompetence of the first tech. They should have
followed the lines and found the leak the first time. The second charge
should be on them. If they refuse, take them to small claims court and
point out their lack of skills and ability that caused the second loss.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"daytona°" wrote in message
. ..
With a leak that large...that damn thing should be hissing....

No ****!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"daytona°" wrote in message
. ..
With a leak that large...that damn thing should be hissing....

No ****!

Hells Bells folks! There should be a severe lack of oxygen all around
that area. I think you lads had best check to see if the neighborhood
kids are freon whoofers. ;-p I went through that **** a few years back
with a customer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Correct - no ****ting, just hissing.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Might want to check the access fittings where he put the gages.
Sometimes those leak.

Funny you should mention that. My 1.5 year old Lennox is leaking there as we
speak. The parts were ordered from Texas last week (still under warranty) but
in the meanwhile I'm sweating.

It was leaking from around the schrader valves where they hook up the gauges.
You'd think they could just swap out valves but apparently they intend to swap
out the entire valve block.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Might want to check the access fittings where he put the gages.
Sometimes those leak.

Funny you should mention that. My 1.5 year old Lennox is leaking there as

we
speak. The parts were ordered from Texas last week (still under warranty)

but
in the meanwhile I'm sweating.

It was leaking from around the schrader valves where they hook up the

gauges.
You'd think they could just swap out valves but apparently they intend to

swap
out the entire valve block.

Sounds as if they're as competent at Chris.

While the parts are on order, why didn't they screw the caps on tight?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Might want to check the access fittings where he put the gages.
Sometimes those leak.

Funny you should mention that. My 1.5 year old Lennox is leaking there
as

we
speak. The parts were ordered from Texas last week (still under
warranty)

but
in the meanwhile I'm sweating.

It was leaking from around the schrader valves where they hook up the

gauges.
You'd think they could just swap out valves but apparently they intend to

swap
out the entire valve block.

Sounds as if they're as competent at Chris.

While the parts are on order, why didn't they screw the caps on tight?

just replace the schraders...nahhhh....makes too much sense and its too
easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
It was leaking from around the schrader valves where they hook up the gauges.
You'd think they could just swap out valves but apparently they intend to
swap out the entire valve block.

Sounds as if they're as competent at Chris.

While the parts are on order, why didn't they screw the caps on tight?

He did but he declined to refill the system while he was waiting to see what the
landlord would do. I think he thought the landlord would balk at paying the
exhorbitant price he said he thought it would cost. As it turned out, it was a
warranty item. But in the meanwhile, I sit and sweat. With any luck the parts
will be here tomorrow.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Noon-Air wrote:
While the parts are on order, why didn't they screw the caps on tight?

just replace the schraders...nahhhh....makes too much sense and its too
easy.

I have these great ideas at work but get pooh poohed by the ignoramouses with
the master's degrees all the time. What could I know about nursing? I've only
been at the bedside for 15 years... every bit of it in a hospital setting.

Anyway, we get stupid policies from on high all the time. What can you do?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On May 28, 1:11 am, Don Ocean wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"daytona°" wrote in message
With a leak that large...that damn thing should be hissing....

No ****!

Hells Bells folks! There should be a severe lack of oxygen all around
that area. I think you lads had best check to see if the neighborhood
kids are freon whoofers. ;-p I went through that **** a few years back
with a customer.

Sometime it appears that you made such use of the freon..

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
It was leaking from around the schrader valves where they hook up the

gauges.
You'd think they could just swap out valves but apparently they intend

swap out the entire valve block.

Sounds as if they're as competent at Chris.

While the parts are on order, why didn't they screw the caps on tight?

He did but he declined to refill the system while he was waiting to see

what the
landlord would do. I think he thought the landlord would balk at paying

the
exhorbitant price he said he thought it would cost. As it turned out, it

was a
warranty item. But in the meanwhile, I sit and sweat. With any luck the

parts
will be here tomorrow.

Yeah, it's to bad he doesn't stock the shrader valves on his service truck.

I guess he doesn't own the tools to change them without loosing the charge
either.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Schrader valves are much like the valve stems on a vehicle tire.
Same design, but larger. In my work, I do use valve caps that are
metal and are put on with a wrench. I also sometimes get to use a
valve core remover and replacer. And have replacement valve
cores. Makes me wonder if a simple fix like that might reduce or
repair the leak?

Sad to hear you're hot indoors in the meantime.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

: Stormin Mormon wrote:
: Might want to check the access fittings where he put the
gages.
: Sometimes those leak.
:
:
: Funny you should mention that. My 1.5 year old Lennox is
leaking there as we
: speak. The parts were ordered from Texas last week (still
under warranty) but
: in the meanwhile I'm sweating.
:
: It was leaking from around the schrader valves where they hook
up the gauges.
: You'd think they could just swap out valves but apparently they
intend to swap
: out the entire valve block.
:
:
: --
: Mortimer Schnerd, RN
: mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Sounds like some of that officer material is working also at
your HVAC company?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

: Noon-Air wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Schrader valves are much like the valve stems on a vehicle tire.
Same design, but larger. In my work, I do use valve caps that are
metal and are put on with a wrench. I also sometimes get to use a
valve core remover and replacer.

Under adult supervision!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Tony Hwang wrote:
Muffy Links wrote:

What should I ask the tech to do to find the leak? Whats the proper
procedure?

thanks.

Mango

Hmmm,
There is such things as Freeon sniffer or leaking indicating dye.

To keep Tony Hunglow away from it!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Don Ocean wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"daytona°" wrote in message
. ..
With a leak that large...that damn thing should be hissing....

No ****!

Hells Bells folks! There should be a severe lack of oxygen all around
that area. I think you lads had best check to see if the neighborhood
kids are freon whoofers. ;-p I went through that **** a few years back
with a customer.

Tastes great - less filling!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2007 10:13:00 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message

Sounds as if they're as competent at Chris.

While the parts are on order, why didn't they screw the caps on tight?

Caps ?

/sarcasm

Caps? Like the ones on the heads of the illegals with the bills backward?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
It was leaking from around the schrader valves where they hook up the gauges.
You'd think they could just swap out valves but apparently they intend to
swap out the entire valve block.

Sounds as if they're as competent at Chris.

While the parts are on order, why didn't they screw the caps on tight?

He did but he declined to refill the system while he was waiting to see what the
landlord would do. I think he thought the landlord would balk at paying the
exhorbitant price he said he thought it would cost. As it turned out, it was a
warranty item. But in the meanwhile, I sit and sweat. With any luck the parts
will be here tomorrow.

Mort. go to the morgue. It's nice and cool there.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

daytona° wrote:
Now you want to bring the plumber in on it....OH OH the price will be going
up now

In Jersey, the teaching hospital had a political appointee "plumbing
consultant" making $65 k a year that never showed up. I guess everybody
got snaked on that...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Hissing... you know.... BLOWING !!!!!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"daytona°" wrote in message
: Now you want to bring the plumber in on it....OH OH the price
will be going
: up now
:
:
:
: wrote in message
: ...
: On Mon, 28 May 2007 00:37:22 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com
wrote:
:
:
: "daytona°" wrote in message
: m...
: With a leak that large...that damn thing should be
hissing....
:
: No ****!
:
:
: Correct - no ****ting, just hissing.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

That's profound. I may have to quote you some time.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..
: dude, you know that calling a plumber to do HVAC work is like
calling a
: proctologist to do your dental work.
:
: "daytona°" wrote in message
: ...
: Now you want to bring the plumber in on it....OH OH the price
will be
: going up now
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Tekkie® wrote:
Mort. go to the morgue. It's nice and cool there.

I don't mind the morgue. You meet the nicest people there... pleasant; never a
complaint; never want me to bring them anything. And like you say, the air
conditioning is first rate.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Schrader valves are much like the valve stems on a vehicle tire.
Same design, but larger. In my work, I do use valve caps that are
metal and are put on with a wrench. I also sometimes get to use a
valve core remover and replacer. And have replacement valve
cores. Makes me wonder if a simple fix like that might reduce or
repair the leak?

This compresor came complete with valve caps that are tightened with a wrench.
As far as the Schrader valve goes, I'm quite familiar with them from my days
working in a dive shop... I even have a tool suitable to remove or replace a
standard tire sized valve core in my toolbox. What I can't do is recharge the
system, so I'm at this guy's mercy.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Noon-Air wrote:
dude, you know that calling a plumber to do HVAC work is like calling a
proctologist to do your dental work.

Judging from some people's breath, I can see how you might make that mistake.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Schrader valves are much like the valve stems on a vehicle tire.
Same design, but larger. In my work, I do use valve caps that are
metal and are put on with a wrench. I also sometimes get to use a
valve core remover and replacer. And have replacement valve
cores. Makes me wonder if a simple fix like that might reduce or
repair the leak?

This compresor came complete with valve caps that are tightened with a

wrench.
As far as the Schrader valve goes, I'm quite familiar with them from my

days
working in a dive shop... I even have a tool suitable to remove or replace

standard tire sized valve core in my toolbox.

Is that where it's leaking?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2007 10:24:49 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Might want to check the access fittings where he put the gages.
Sometimes those leak.

Funny you should mention that. My 1.5 year old Lennox is leaking there as we
speak. The parts were ordered from Texas last week (still under warranty) but
in the meanwhile I'm sweating.

It was leaking from around the schrader valves where they hook up the gauges.
You'd think they could just swap out valves but apparently they intend to swap
out the entire valve block.

I would bet that the manufacturer won't pay local service company till
they see proof that they changed your valve block.. And they want the
old block back to take a look at..
Otherwise.. you could have someone filling out a bunch of warranty
papers for unneeded work..
yeah.. I know we have too good of work ethic for this to happen but
it's possible..

Chuck (in SC)

Freon recharge for Winter? Not Avaiable Home Repair 3 September 17th 06 01:19 AM
Freon Leak in Central A/C Ross Payne Home Repair 7 May 12th 06 01:28 PM
Puron vs Freon Walter R. Home Repair 2 October 9th 05 11:49 AM
Replacing Freon in AC user Home Repair 20 August 30th 05 04:12 PM