Walter R.

Default Puron vs Freon

I am replacing my old air conditioner with a high efficiency model.

The old unit uses Freon (R-22), the new unit uses Puron (R-410A).

The compressor and evaporator coil will be new. No problem. What concerns
me, is the two pipes in the wall that run from the compressor to the
evaporator.

Since Freon and Puron seem to be incompatible with each other, is it
necessary to purge any remaining refrigerant/oil from the tubing? What is
the proscribed procedure?

Just trying to keep an eye on the contractor. I am the one who has to live
with the system.

Thank you.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Don Young

Get a warranty from a good installer and it will not be your problem if
there is one. Most good HVAC people do not believe in reusing the lines,
whether or not they are purged.
Don Young

"Walter R." wrote in message
news
I am replacing my old air conditioner with a high efficiency model.

The old unit uses Freon (R-22), the new unit uses Puron (R-410A).

The compressor and evaporator coil will be new. No problem. What concerns
me, is the two pipes in the wall that run from the compressor to the
evaporator.

Since Freon and Puron seem to be incompatible with each other, is it
necessary to purge any remaining refrigerant/oil from the tubing? What is
the proscribed procedure?

Just trying to keep an eye on the contractor. I am the one who has to live
with the system.

Thank you.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

SQLit

"Walter R." wrote in message
news
I am replacing my old air conditioner with a high efficiency model.

The old unit uses Freon (R-22), the new unit uses Puron (R-410A).

The compressor and evaporator coil will be new. No problem. What concerns
me, is the two pipes in the wall that run from the compressor to the
evaporator.

Since Freon and Puron seem to be incompatible with each other, is it
necessary to purge any remaining refrigerant/oil from the tubing? What is
the proscribed procedure?

Just trying to keep an eye on the contractor. I am the one who has to live
with the system.

Thank you.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Purging/cleaning the line set would be a bare minimium. Sure do not know
how a person could guarntee that everything was cleaned out with out a lot
of testing. I would run a new one if it was my install. Reusing old has
proven to be a problem for me in the past. I do know of companies that do
it.
Is the old line set big enough for the new unit?
In the end the installer is the one that makes or breaks the preformance of
the equipment.