Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Flange Clearance

I'm redoing my bathroom and have removed all the old flooring, leaving
only a 1/2 inch subfloor. The toilet flange now sits 1 1/2 inch above
the subfloor. I will be tiling the floor so with 1/2 cement board
and about 1/2 for the tile and mud this only covers 1 inch. This
would leave the flange 1/2 above the finished floor. I've read
everywhere about how to raise the flange but does someone else have
any suggestions about dealing with too high of a flange and what is
too high?. Yes I know that I could add one more layer of subfloor,
but I would like to try alternatives. Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-05-22, BobD wrote:

This would leave the flange 1/2 above the finished floor.

The top of the flange is ideally flush with the finish floor, but 1/2"
high may not be a problem. I suggest you do a test on your new toilet
to see if it will be OK.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobD" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm redoing my bathroom and have removed all the old flooring, leaving
only a 1/2 inch subfloor. The toilet flange now sits 1 1/2 inch above
the subfloor. I will be tiling the floor so with 1/2 cement board
and about 1/2 for the tile and mud this only covers 1 inch. This
would leave the flange 1/2 above the finished floor. I've read
everywhere about how to raise the flange but does someone else have
any suggestions about dealing with too high of a flange and what is
too high?. Yes I know that I could add one more layer of subfloor,
but I would like to try alternatives. Thanks for your help.

I have never had a problem where the bottom of the flange sat on the
finished floor. That is real close to 1/2". So close I would never worry
about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

A 1/2" thick subfloor is not thick enough. Add another layer of 1/2" plywood
to stiffen it (glue and screw it down) so the tiles don't crack will also
correct your toilet flange problem, and then you are golden.

"BobD" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm redoing my bathroom and have removed all the old flooring, leaving
only a 1/2 inch subfloor. The toilet flange now sits 1 1/2 inch above
the subfloor. I will be tiling the floor so with 1/2 cement board
and about 1/2 for the tile and mud this only covers 1 inch. This
would leave the flange 1/2 above the finished floor. I've read
everywhere about how to raise the flange but does someone else have
any suggestions about dealing with too high of a flange and what is
too high?. Yes I know that I could add one more layer of subfloor,
but I would like to try alternatives. Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
A 1/2" thick subfloor is not thick enough. Add another layer of 1/2"
plywood to stiffen it (glue and screw it down) so the tiles don't crack
will also correct your toilet flange problem, and then you are golden.

"BobD" wrote in message
oups.com...

That wasn't the question BobD asked but the advice is excellent and I agree
completely. Should have caught that myself. -

Yet another toilet flange question Brian V Home Repair 8 March 24th 07 06:16 PM
Toilet flange question jstchilln Home Repair 8 February 3rd 07 09:42 PM
toilet flange Tony Pacc Home Repair 2 December 30th 06 03:46 PM
plumbing toilet flange [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 21st 06 05:37 PM
toilet flange too high? Tish Home Repair 3 October 3rd 04 01:22 PM