Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Toilet Flange Clearance

A 1/2" thick subfloor is not thick enough. Add another layer of 1/2" plywood
to stiffen it (glue and screw it down) so the tiles don't crack will also
correct your toilet flange problem, and then you are golden.

"BobD" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm redoing my bathroom and have removed all the old flooring, leaving
only a 1/2 inch subfloor. The toilet flange now sits 1 1/2 inch above
the subfloor. I will be tiling the floor so with 1/2 cement board
and about 1/2 for the tile and mud this only covers 1 inch. This
would leave the flange 1/2 above the finished floor. I've read
everywhere about how to raise the flange but does someone else have
any suggestions about dealing with too high of a flange and what is
too high?. Yes I know that I could add one more layer of subfloor,
but I would like to try alternatives. Thanks for your help.