Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Indoor flood control

We had the cold-water hose to our washing machine split and run out all
night. Flooded the adjacent room - an old carport converted into additional
room with concrete slab floor and carpet. The wash room has the washing
machine and water heater. I'm concerned about a similar thing happening
again, or something happening with the water heater. If I could get a small
pump that would sit on the floor and tube into the elevated washing machine
drain, and if it could sense water and automatically turn on, then I would
be ahead of the game maybe. Assume I would put some kind of rim there so
water would stay in a pool. Any suggestions about size of pump, type of
pump, possible vender, etc.? Any other suggestions? Home Depot has nothing
like that short of a sump pump, which doesn't look practical. My dreams are
becoming unpleasant.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 9, 2:39 pm, "beekay" wrote:
[...]

i'd suggest shutting off the water supply to the washing machine
whenever it is not in use. There are double ball valve assemblies
available that are a lot neater and easier to use than the usual pair
of spigots.

For the water heater, a drain pan piped close to a floor drain (you
still need an air gap) would be a good idea, and make sure the T/P
valve drains either into the drain pan, or you can pipe it over to the
deep sink if that's handy.

good luck,

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, but ... I have a couple specific concerns: that something will happen
while washing clothes, such as the water depth valve failing or something
else. We do turn off the water now (always did turn off the hot - the cold
bit us). The gas hot water heater is very difficult to access, or to put
anything under.

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

"N8N" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 9, 2:39 pm, "beekay" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 2:39 pm, "beekay" wrote:
[...]

While this won't reroute the water, there is a cheap device you can
buy that simply sits on the floor and sounds an alarm as soon as water
hit it (Watchdog I think it's called). Think fire alarm, but for
water. This would alert you if you're at home that something is
wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Other suggestions? Yeah, turn the valve off except whilst running the
washer. Get good hoses, and replace them regularly.

--
Steve Barker

"beekay" wrote in message
[...]

Condo Flood Insurance Rates - high risk flood zone [email protected] Home Ownership 4 September 2nd 06 09:14 PM
Indoor incandescent flood light bulbs way too yellow. Alternatives? Inquiringmind Home Repair 6 August 31st 06 07:28 PM
Indoor Spa Help Please rcf Home Repair 5 August 14th 06 06:38 PM
Indoor Shutters Mark and Gloria Hagwood Home Repair 0 March 30th 06 06:31 PM
indoor antenna Ben Electronics Repair 2 February 4th 04 06:06 PM