Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Condo Flood Insurance Rates - high risk flood zone

Hi everyone -

We recently moved to a condo in a flood zone. Before we moved, the
building's flood insurance premium shot up - literally many times what
was being paid. Our building has 9 units (5 floors) and no basement.
For $900,000 of coverage (building only), we are now paying a yearly
premium of $12,000.

We are in a high risk area - A05 to be exact with an elevation
difference of -4. I understand that the flood insurance rates are set
- but $12,000 just seems crazy. I've tried calling a few insurance
agencies, but no one wants to spend the time to check the rate (since
the rates are supposedly fixed).

Can anyone provide a sanity check? Does $12,000 for $900,000 of
coverage make sense...or is something up with our insurance company?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

Posted to misc.consumers.house

For $900,000 of coverage (building only), we are now paying a yearly
premium of $12,000.

You can thank Hurricane Katrina.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart...cycoverage.jsp

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I live in FL and know that a lot of condos have been dropped and are
having problems getting insurance. I am a private home owner with
separate flood insurance....I am assuming the insurance amount you
mentioned was for both flood and windstorm.

I have a 1600 sq foot home and the structure is insured for about
$110,00. I don't remember the amount for contents but it is a modest
amount - I think $50,000. Anyway, we pay $2000 for homeowners
including windstorm with a 2% deductible and another $180 for flood.
We are not in a high risk zone for flooding....it's more for peace of
mind.

So I think your amount may be what is considered reasonable today.
When I moved down here just a few months before Andrew, I paid $320 a
year for homeowners that first year and $130 for separate flood.

We have to find a better way to handle homeowners insurance. So many
home owners in FL are retirees on fixed incomes that many are having to
make some tough choices. I know that condo residents can't choose to
drop insurance the way private homeowners can but it is hard on
everyone.

Educate yourself about the candidates for governor and vote for one
that at least admits we have a huge problem and has some ideas about
how to fix it. Too many of the candidates are being glib and appear to
be clueless about how to fix the problem.

Tony Sivori wrote:
wrote:

Can anyone provide a sanity check? Does $12,000 for $900,000 of coverage
make sense...or is something up with our insurance company?

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart...cycoverage.jsp

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Dottie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm one of the people that had to flee Florida because of the high windstorm
insurance fees. As a retiree on Social Security only, I get a modest 1.5 to
2% cost of living increase yearly on my social security check. My homeowners
insurance went up 150% this year (1200 to 2800) plus the deductible went
from 2000 to 5000.
This problem will not be resolved until the state gets a governor and
representatives that are not in bed with the insurance companies. This
companies, such as Allstate, State Farm and Nationwide to mention just a few
are allowed to drop their windstorm insurance policies yet retain the
lucrative auto, home, life and business. Someone has to tell them that if
they wanted to be insurers in the state of Florida, they have to insure for
all the hazards, not just the profitable ones or else leave the state. Until
this is done, the Floridians will continue to be screwed.