Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] marcgroups@gmail.com is offline

Default Condo Flood Insurance Rates - high risk flood zone

Hi everyone -

We recently moved to a condo in a flood zone. Before we moved, the
building's flood insurance premium shot up - literally many times what
was being paid. Our building has 9 units (5 floors) and no basement.
For $900,000 of coverage (building only), we are now paying a yearly
premium of $12,000.

We are in a high risk area - A05 to be exact with an elevation
difference of -4. I understand that the flood insurance rates are set
- but $12,000 just seems crazy. I've tried calling a few insurance
agencies, but no one wants to spend the time to check the rate (since
the rates are supposedly fixed).

Can anyone provide a sanity check? Does $12,000 for $900,000 of
coverage make sense...or is something up with our insurance company?

Thanks in advance,
Marc