Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Indoor flood control

On May 9, 2:39 pm, "beekay" wrote:
We had the cold-water hose to our washing machine split and run out all
night. Flooded the adjacent room - an old carport converted into additional
room with concrete slab floor and carpet. The wash room has the washing
machine and water heater. I'm concerned about a similar thing happening
again, or something happening with the water heater. If I could get a small
pump that would sit on the floor and tube into the elevated washing machine
drain, and if it could sense water and automatically turn on, then I would
be ahead of the game maybe. Assume I would put some kind of rim there so
water would stay in a pool. Any suggestions about size of pump, type of
pump, possible vender, etc.? Any other suggestions? Home Depot has nothing
like that short of a sump pump, which doesn't look practical. My dreams are
becoming unpleasant.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

i'd suggest shutting off the water supply to the washing machine
whenever it is not in use. There are double ball valve assemblies
available that are a lot neater and easier to use than the usual pair
of spigots.

For the water heater, a drain pan piped close to a floor drain (you
still need an air gap) would be a good idea, and make sure the T/P
valve drains either into the drain pan, or you can pipe it over to the
deep sink if that's handy.

good luck,

nate