Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove glue from glass table

I own a glass table with metallic lower part (legs etc). The top glass
plate is attached to the four metal rings with some powerful
transparent glue. Therefore, when you're watching the table you can
actually see these metal rings and the table's lower metal parts
through the top glass plate.

I badly need to remove the top glass plate, but don't know how to
dissolve this glue. Does anyone know which glue is usually used for
this purpose and what can be used to dissolve it?

I tried acetone, but it doesn't have any effect.

Thanks in advace!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I own a glass table with metallic lower part (legs etc). The top glass
plate is attached to the four metal rings with some powerful
transparent glue. Therefore, when you're watching the table you can
actually see these metal rings and the table's lower metal parts
through the top glass plate.

I badly need to remove the top glass plate, but don't know how to
dissolve this glue. Does anyone know which glue is usually used for
this purpose and what can be used to dissolve it?

I tried acetone, but it doesn't have any effect.

Thanks in advace!

Is it possible that what you are describing as glue is actually clear
silicone caulking? Is it pliable? If so, you can probably cut the top
loose with a sharp knife.

If it isn't clear silicone caulking, I don't have any suggestion for you,
other than to try different solvents - start with water and go from there.

HTH

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it possible that what you are describing as glue is actually clear
silicone caulking? Is it pliable? If so, you can probably cut the top
loose with a sharp knife.

If it isn't clear silicone caulking, I don't have any suggestion for you,
other than to try different solvents - start with water and go from there.

Honestly, I don't know if it's clear silicone caulking. I have very
little knowledge when it comes to adhesives. But, it's not pliable.
The top glass plate is firmly attached, and it can't be moved even
with great force.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I own a glass table with metallic lower part (legs etc). The top glass
plate is attached to the four metal rings with some powerful
transparent glue. Therefore, when you're watching the table you can
actually see these metal rings and the table's lower metal parts
through the top glass plate.

I badly need to remove the top glass plate, but don't know how to
dissolve this glue. Does anyone know which glue is usually used for
this purpose and what can be used to dissolve it?

I tried acetone, but it doesn't have any effect.

Thanks in advace!

single edge razor blade

Posted to alt.home.repair

why do you want to take it apart, the glass may not be removble being
part of the structure of the table.

might take a photo to a local glass shop

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 May 2007 12:53:42 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
. ..
On 7 May 2007 12:33:12 -0700, wrote:

Is it possible that what you are describing as glue is actually clear
silicone caulking? Is it pliable? If so, you can probably cut the
top
loose with a sharp knife.

If it isn't clear silicone caulking, I don't have any suggestion for
you,
other than to try different solvents - start with water and go from
there.

Honestly, I don't know if it's clear silicone caulking. I have very
little knowledge when it comes to adhesives. But, it's not pliable.
The top glass plate is firmly attached, and it can't be moved even
with great force.

I would at least try a hair dryer. Maybe some heat will soften it up.

too much heat, and you'd probably crack the glass. i'd be really careful
doing this.

I would guess the metal would draw most of the heat, little as it
would be with a hair dryer. Tempered glass should not crack under this
heat, unless I'm wrong. The table should be tempered glass?

dining tables are almost never tempered. in years of cutting them up, i've
never encountered one.

the metal is not touching the glass (it has the glue/plastic/whatever in
between), so won't draw out any heat.

tempered glass resists heat better than non-tempered. a hot pot on a
non-tempered glass table will crack it. a hair dryer would easily reach the
temps of a hot pot. the problem is localized heat differentials setting up
stress points in the glass. if you could raise the heat across the complete
sheet at the same time, this wouldn't happen. if the glass was scratched
where you're heating it, it would be even worse, as the scratch will locally
lessen the strength.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in
the photo..

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I own a glass table with metallic lower part (legs etc). The top glass
plate is attached to the four metal rings with some powerful
transparent glue. Therefore, when you're watching the table you can
actually see these metal rings and the table's lower metal parts
through the top glass plate.

I badly need to remove the top glass plate, but don't know how to
dissolve this glue. Does anyone know which glue is usually used for
this purpose and what can be used to dissolve it?

A razor-blade scraper is sooo inexpensive. Have you tried one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

A razor-blade scraper is sooo inexpensive. Have you tried one?

Not yet, but I'll give it a try as soon as I buy one. Whatever
adhesive they used, it is very strong. The width of the adhesive part
is no more than 0,2-0,3 milimeters or less. But it's so impervious I
don't know that even a razor-blade will be able to penetrate it,
especially since all 4 bonds must be removed simultaneously.

re Jeff: thanks, I'll try the solvents you mentioned if a razor blade
doesn't work. Do you have any idea where one can obtain these
chemicals? I live in Europe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KP KP is offline

replying to secretivelad, KP wrote:
secretivelad wrote:
I own a glass table with metallic lower part (legs etc). The top glass
plate is attached to the four metal rings with some powerful
transparent glue. Therefore, when you're watching the table you can
actually see these metal rings and the table's lower metal parts through

the top glass plate.
I badly need to remove the top glass plate, but don't know how to
dissolve this glue. Does anyone know which glue is usually used for
this purpose and what can be used to dissolve it?
I tried acetone, but it doesn't have any effect.
Thanks in advace!

I have the same table and also want to remove the metal rings. Where you
ever able to get the metal pieces off the glass? What did you use?

Thanks.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...le-215347-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

propane torch and long handled putty knife

Posted to alt.home.repair

secretivelad wrote:
I own a glass table with metallic lower part (legs etc). The top glass
plate is attached to the four metal rings with some powerful
transparent glue. Therefore, when you're watching the table you can
actually see these metal rings and the table's lower metal parts through

the top glass plate.
I badly need to remove the top glass plate, but don't know how to
dissolve this glue. Does anyone know which glue is usually used for
this purpose and what can be used to dissolve it?
I tried acetone, but it doesn't have any effect.
Thanks in advace!

I have the same table and also want to remove the metal rings. Where you
ever able to get the metal pieces off the glass? What did you use?

Thanks.

Another antique post from the homeowners hub site. This one only 6 years
old.
Check the sig line at the bottom of your post.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 7, 2007 3:18:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I own a glass table with metallic lower part (legs etc). The top glass
plate is attached to the four metal rings with some powerful
transparent glue. Therefore, when you're watching the table you can
actually see these metal rings and the table's lower metal parts
through the top glass plate.

I badly need to remove the top glass plate, but don't know how to
dissolve this glue. Does anyone know which glue is usually used for
this purpose and what can be used to dissolve it?

I tried acetone, but it doesn't have any effect.

Thanks in advace!

wd40 and guitar string then wet sand to remove any scratches
Posted to alt.home.repair

US President is the Enemy wrote:
On Monday, May 7, 2007 3:18:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I own a glass table with metallic lower part (legs etc). The top glass
plate is attached to the four metal rings with some powerful
transparent glue. Therefore, when you're watching the table you can
actually see these metal rings and the table's lower metal parts
through the top glass plate.

I badly need to remove the top glass plate, but don't know how to
dissolve this glue. Does anyone know which glue is usually used for
this purpose and what can be used to dissolve it?

I tried acetone, but it doesn't have any effect.

Thanks in advace!

wd40 and guitar string then wet sand to remove any scratches

Or Ronsonal lighter fluid and fishing line.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KP KP is offline

replying to secretivelad, KP wrote:
I tried water, Goo Gone and, 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and none worked. I
hesitated to use a touch in fear that the glass would crack. My glass is
3/8 inch thick. In a matter of 1 minute and a soldering torch, all four
metal rings were off. Yippee. Thanks for your suggestions.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...le-215347-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you torch the metal or the glass? I am afraid it's gonna crack a part... To worry about the glass but don't want to get hurt

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to secretivelad , DEB wrote:
secretivelad wrote:

I own a glass table with metallic lower part (legs etc). The top glass
plate is attached to the four metal rings with some powerful
transparent glue. Therefore, when you're watching the table you can
actually see these metal rings and the table's lower metal parts
through the top glass plate.
I badly need to remove the top glass plate, but don't know how to
dissolve this glue. Does anyone know which glue is usually used for
this purpose and what can be used to dissolve it?
I tried acetone, but it doesn't have any effect.
Thanks in advace!

I have the same type table and same problem, but the glass broke and I
want to remove the metal pieces to re-make the coffee table or if someone
knows where to re_purchase the round metal pieces that the legs screw
into...i may have to do that, if I can"t remove adhesive..please someone
help!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

To DEB, who wrote:

"I have the same type table and same problem, but the glass broke and I
want to remove the metal pieces to re-make the coffee table or if someone
knows where to re_purchase the round metal pieces that the legs screw
into...i may have to do that, if I can"t remove adhesive..please someone
help!!"

If the glass top is already broken, you can use a torch and heat the pieces that are glued to the metallic parts you want to recover. The best way to do it without special tools is to reduce the size of the glass portions around the metal parts (use an old cloth to cover the glass and a hammer to hit and shatter the glass - USE PROTECTION) and then place the metallic parts with whatever is left of the glass glued to them in the oven and heat them up to 150 C or 300 F and they should come apart (you may need to reach higher temperatures, depending on the adhesive that was used to glue the metal to the glass).

Good luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

We broke the glass wall on a racquetball court.

The maintenance guy got the glue off with one of those oscillating multitools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I used a hot air blower at a temp of about 250*c .within a minute or two with a slight tap from a plier it was dislocated.surprisingly the remanent glue was washed away with normal dishwasher soap and sponge.maybe a hair drier would take a longer time with heat directed to the metal part only.
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello,
Did you have any luck with removing the glass top from this metallic base? I am in a similar situation and need help

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2017 7:59 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 16:50:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hello,
Did you have any luck with removing the glass top from this metallic base? I am in a similar situation and need help

Thanks

Try lacquer thinner, not knowing what kind of glue it is, lacquer
thinner is a very powerful solvent. Don't get it on any painted
surface you wish to preserve.

And do it outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to secretivelad, Kreamydud wrote:
Hi secretive lad, concerning your attempt to remove the glued glass from this
glass table, did you have any luck . If yes, please share as i have a similar
problem

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...le-215347-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi.my husband is just in process of removing the same thing!he is on leg 3 as we speak! Just put hot iron on the glass directly over the metal ring. After about 4 mins the glue is dissolving.. .brilliant!

remove carpet glue Rookie Home Repair 5 April 13th 06 04:58 PM
How remove old glue from plastic? Al Franz Woodworking 14 October 14th 05 06:00 PM
How to glue glass?? !! Dee UK diy 21 March 6th 05 01:26 AM
remove varnish from glass MP Woodworking 2 February 7th 05 01:49 PM
Is there a glue for wood+glass ? AJ Woodworking 5 October 17th 04 10:19 AM