Al Franz

Default How remove old glue from plastic?

Have a plastic product that had an old manufactures label stuck to it. I
decided to take it off and now have an old sticky glue substance (6x6 inch
square) on the product which can not be removed. I have laid wet rags on it
overnight and scrubed with soap and water and it is as sticky as ever. Any
ideas? Nothing to abrasive since I don't want to damage the plastic finish?

Thanks

Mr Fixit eh

"Goof Off" or "Goo Begone" are products that often work well. You
might want to start out with mineral spirits first, this often works.

steve aiken

Duane Bozarth

Al Franz wrote:

Have a plastic product that had an old manufactures label stuck to it. I
decided to take it off and now have an old sticky glue substance (6x6 inch
square) on the product which can not be removed. I have laid wet rags on it
overnight and scrubed with soap and water and it is as sticky as ever. Any
ideas? Nothing to abrasive since I don't want to damage the plastic finish?

The Goo-Gone or similar products work well as do many of the
citrus-based cleaners/solvents.

You'll undoubtedly get a zillion suggestions, just be sure to test any
solvent very carefully first to make sure it is compatible w/ the
particular plastic....

Mr. G. D. Geen

Acetone (fingernail polish remover) works well.
IPA (rubbing alcohol) is OK.

If it is small enough to fit in the sink then soaking it in Cascade Dish
washing detergent work wonders. The phosphorus in the detergent
dissolves the glue and rinses down the sink.

Goof-off and other such products work great too.

-gdg

Al Franz wrote:
Have a plastic product that had an old manufactures label stuck to it. I
decided to take it off and now have an old sticky glue substance (6x6 inch
square) on the product which can not be removed. I have laid wet rags on it
overnight and scrubed with soap and water and it is as sticky as ever. Any
ideas? Nothing to abrasive since I don't want to damage the plastic finish?

Thanks

Mike Berger

And for a real bonus, Acetone will probably remove the plastic as
well as the glue!

I'd avoid acetone and alcohol without careful testing. They will
dissolve many kinds of plastic. Stick with the citrus based
solutions for this.

Mr. G. D. Geen wrote:
Acetone (fingernail polish remover) works well.
IPA (rubbing alcohol) is OK.

Upscale

"Al Franz" wrote in message
Have a plastic product that had an old manufactures label stuck to it. I
decided to take it off and now have an old sticky glue substance (6x6 inch
square) on the product which can not be removed. I have laid wet rags on

it
overnight and scrubed with soap and water and it is as sticky as ever.

Any
ideas? Nothing to abrasive since I don't want to damage the plastic

finish?

Many glues will chip off if you can freeze them. That's dependent of course
on the product fitting in a freezer.

John B

Al Franz wrote:
Have a plastic product that had an old manufactures label stuck to it. I
decided to take it off and now have an old sticky glue substance (6x6 inch
square) on the product which can not be removed. I have laid wet rags on it
overnight and scrubed with soap and water and it is as sticky as ever. Any
ideas? Nothing to abrasive since I don't want to damage the plastic finish?

Thanks

Give eucalyptus oil a go.

RayV

WD40 or Mayonaise (sp?)

Robatoy

In article ,
John B wrote:

Al Franz wrote:
Have a plastic product that had an old manufactures label stuck to it. I

[snipped for brevity]

Give eucalyptus oil a go.

Aussies crack me up. Willing to fight with a band of koalas for a little
oil. Smells nice though.
John B

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
John B wrote:

Al Franz wrote:

Have a plastic product that had an old manufactures label stuck to it. I

[snipped for brevity]

Give eucalyptus oil a go.

Aussies crack me up. Willing to fight with a band of koalas for a little
oil. Smells nice though.

Just like koala farts

It's good stuff, the oil that is. Cleans whiteboards, Glue. Removes
labels and rego stickers. You just have to put up with a running nose
while your using it.
Then again it's great for those stuffy head colds.
all the best
John
bremen68

If you use one of the citrus based products you just want to limit your
"soak" time.

Goo gone is what I've used for this type of thing and never had a
problem with plastics. You'll want to test it becasue sometimes the
older plastic stuff's color will fade. (don't know how old this item
is or what color) but as long as you don't let it stay on too long you
shouldn't have any problems.