Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to make a hole in a bottle?

Bob wrote:

I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

Take a look at this site.

http://www.cowtown.net/mikefirth/bottle.htm

Google on:

glass bottle hole drill

I've never done it. I've heard that fillin bottle with wet sand,
packing dense, drilling with a tile repeat tile cutting bit ( which is
not a masonry bit) of the kind used for drilling into bath / shower
stalls to install grab bars is the way to go.

Again, though, I've never done a bottle,

I've installed a lot of tub/ shower grab bars through tile as a
volunterr for the local senior center though. The tile bits work great
on that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

With a glass drill bit, of course. See:
http://www.drillglass.com/drillingglass.html
--
Grandpa

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Grandpa" wrote in message
Bob wrote:
I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles
are attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or
accent light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of
the bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a
hole started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work
either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

With a glass drill bit, of course. See:
http://www.drillglass.com/drillingglass.html
--
Grandpa

And make sure the surface of the bottle gets water to cool it? It will crack
if you don't. The bit is essential.

Betsy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Use a drill press. Get a piece of pipe the diameter of the hole you want,
cut an end square and chuck it. Put a ring of clay around where you want
the hole and put a water grinding compound mix in the ring. Have the drill
on slow and slowly grind through.

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles
are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 3 May 2007 14:11:53 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

A glass bit.

I like your idea better, but just in case:

I'm looking right now at a lamp made of a bottle. The dark bottle is
filled with some kind of gravel so it doesn't fall over, and the light
socket is right above a cork. The wire comes out of the bottom of the
light socket and doesn't go through the bottle at all. I think the
whole socket with hole, short pipe, cork is sold as one item.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob writes:

Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

Bob wrote:

I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

There are bits available for drilling glass, the business end looks
something like a spear head. Check out for instance:

Posted to alt.home.repair

The easiest way to make a lamp out of a bottle is to get a bottle lamp kit
such as http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/prodin...?number=47-130 or
http://cgi.ebay.com/BOTTLE-LAMP-KIT-...QQcmdZViewItem.
No need to take the wire through the bottle.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,

Bob wrote:

I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles
are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

There are bits available for drilling glass, the business end looks
something like a spear head. Check out for instance:

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Bob wrote:

I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles
are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

Thanks much for all the great information.
You guys have a wealth of information and ideas.

Thanks again, Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles
are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx- Hide quoted text -

Method that Jeff recommends worked for glass telecope mirrors built at
the Hayden Planetarium some years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

Method 1:
Build a little cofferdam of putty around where you want the hole,
fill it with jewlers rouge and cutting oil, And set a stick in there
in the drill press, and leave it running. come back once an hour or
so and bounce the stick up and down to get more abrasive under it.

Method 2:
If you're really skilled and lucky, you can melt the hole instead.
Preheat a bucket of sand and the bottles in your oven
to as hot as you can get it, then use a mapp-gas torch on the
spot where you want the hole, and poke it with a stick when
it starts to glow brightly. If the bottle doesn't explode,
bury it in the hot sand and let the whole thing cool.
(I've seen hobbyist beadmakers use a crockpot filled with
vermiculite, but I suspect your bottles are too big for that.)

Method 3:
Get a dremel tool with a thick grinding wheel, and prop it against
the glass, running, and go read a book.

Method 4: Use battery-driven LED arrays, and skip the external
power entirely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

use a piece of copper pipe with some slits in the open end. use regular
carbide grit. rouge will take forever.

Method 2:
If you're really skilled and lucky, you can melt the hole instead.
Preheat a bucket of sand and the bottles in your oven
to as hot as you can get it, then use a mapp-gas torch on the
spot where you want the hole, and poke it with a stick when
it starts to glow brightly. If the bottle doesn't explode,
bury it in the hot sand and let the whole thing cool.
(I've seen hobbyist beadmakers use a crockpot filled with
vermiculite, but I suspect your bottles are too big for that.)

nfw this will work.

Method 3:
Get a dremel tool with a thick grinding wheel, and prop it against
the glass, running, and go read a book.

without coolant, nfw this will work

Method 4: Use battery-driven LED arrays, and skip the external
power entirely.

Method 5:
sandblaster

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 4:11 pm, "Bob" wrote:
I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

Glass bit is best. Other bits can be made to work with a LOT of
care. It helps if you have a few bottles on hand, so you don't have
to worry too much about breaking one. I find if I have 20, I'll drill
the first no problems, or at least the second. If I've only got 1,
I'll break it. Maybe the extra nervousness takes away from the
smoothness of my hand controlling the drill? Crown is tasty stuff, so
coming up with surplus empty bottles should be a joy.

Filling the bottle with sand seems like a good idea, never heard that
before today. The dremel w/ a grinding wheel is interesting as well,
though it would certainly require attention and lubricant. I've no
experience with either method, however.

You may try to tape the area you want to drill before drilling. I've
sucessfully drilled through glass with a regular bit by putting plenty
of tape over the area so that I was drilling through at least 1/16" of
tape using an _extremely_ light touch and plenty of cutting oil.

I've also used wick holders meant to fit into empty bottles and
convert them to oil candles. No holes required, nice light, oil can
be nuetral or scented. Cost ~$1US each at candle shops everywhere.
Not as bright as an electric light, but not a bad option.

Post back, let us know how you make out. Especially if you try the
dremel w/ grinding wheel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 4 May 2007 12:08:21 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

Method 3:
Get a dremel tool with a thick grinding wheel, and prop it against
the glass, running, and go read a book.

without coolant, nfw this will work

For coolant, could one just fill the bottle with water. Or does the
water have to be closer to the wheel?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Bob writes:

Any ideas?

I've used these on ceramic and porcelain; they're supposed to work on glass:

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Method 3:
Get a dremel tool with a thick grinding wheel, and prop it against
the glass, running, and go read a book.

without coolant, nfw this will work

For coolant, could one just fill the bottle with water. Or does the
water have to be closer to the wheel?

you're cooling the tool and the glass you're grinding. temperature
differentials in different places in glass cause cracking. the water on the
inside won't cool the outside of the bottle except through convection, and
glass is a good insulator and a (relatively) poor conductor of heat. that's
why you have to carefully anneal glass when cooling it.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob writes:

I've used these on ceramic and porcelain; they're supposed to work on
glass:

Good porcelain will dull a carbide drill before you finish the first hole.

Go for the diamond.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...

On May 3, 2:11 pm, "Bob" wrote:
I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles
are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or
accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of
the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a
hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

have you ever read the msds on HF? there aren't too many things more
dangerous than this.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/H3994.htm

this would be just a bad idea, besides the fact that it would be pretty hard
to source the HF. most people don't have fume hoods and the safety gear for
this. maybe in some college chem lab.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 May 2007 16:02:30 -0700, charlie wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Have you thought about using hydrofluoric acid instead?

have you ever read the msds on HF? there aren't too many things more
dangerous than this.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/H3994.htm

Yup.

this would be just a bad idea, besides the fact that it would be pretty hard
to source the HF.

Nope.

Most grocery or department stores in cleaning products.

http://www.whink.com/rust_stain_remover.htm

Granted, it is a dilute solution, but if you leave it on glass you will
cut it, eventually. With minimal contact time, it also works well
removing some hard water deposits on glass when regular lime removers
fail.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://pcscreenwatch.com