Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] DanKMTB@gmail.com is offline

Default How to make a hole in a bottle?

On May 3, 4:11 pm, "Bob" wrote:
I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

Glass bit is best. Other bits can be made to work with a LOT of
care. It helps if you have a few bottles on hand, so you don't have
to worry too much about breaking one. I find if I have 20, I'll drill
the first no problems, or at least the second. If I've only got 1,
I'll break it. Maybe the extra nervousness takes away from the
smoothness of my hand controlling the drill? Crown is tasty stuff, so
coming up with surplus empty bottles should be a joy.

Filling the bottle with sand seems like a good idea, never heard that
before today. The dremel w/ a grinding wheel is interesting as well,
though it would certainly require attention and lubricant. I've no
experience with either method, however.

You may try to tape the area you want to drill before drilling. I've
sucessfully drilled through glass with a regular bit by putting plenty
of tape over the area so that I was drilling through at least 1/16" of
tape using an _extremely_ light touch and plenty of cutting oil.

I've also used wick holders meant to fit into empty bottles and
convert them to oil candles. No holes required, nice light, oil can
be nuetral or scented. Cost ~$1US each at candle shops everywhere.
Not as bright as an electric light, but not a bad option.

Post back, let us know how you make out. Especially if you try the
dremel w/ grinding wheel.