Posted to alt.home.repair
GROVER GROVER is offline

Default How to make a hole in a bottle?

On May 3, 5:34 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
Use a drill press. Get a piece of pipe the diameter of the hole you want,
cut an end square and chuck it. Put a ring of clay around where you want
the hole and put a water grinding compound mix in the ring. Have the drill
on slow and slowly grind through.

"Bob" wrote in message

I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles
are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx- Hide quoted text -

Method that Jeff recommends worked for glass telecope mirrors built at
the Hayden Planetarium some years ago.