Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default How to make a hole in a bottle?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Have you thought about using hydrofluoric acid instead?

On May 3, 2:11 pm, "Bob" wrote:
I have a few empty Crown Royal bottles out of which I want to make small
lamps. Most are the 750ml size & a couple 1.75 liter size. The bottles
are
attractive and I think they could make nice lamps for background or
accent
light in an office or den.

My problem is that I don't know how to make a hole in the back side of
the
bottle near the bottom in which to thread zip cord.

I've tried new drill bits running the drill press as slowly as possible,
using various lubes (oil, alcohol, and carb cleaner), but can't get a
hole
started in the glass. I even tried a masonry bit - didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks, Bob-tx

have you ever read the msds on HF? there aren't too many things more
dangerous than this.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/H3994.htm

this would be just a bad idea, besides the fact that it would be pretty hard
to source the HF. most people don't have fume hoods and the safety gear for
this. maybe in some college chem lab.