Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C Outside Fan Not Running

Hi,

I have an air conditioner that has an inside unit and an outside unit.
When I turn on the air conditioning the attic fans blow but it only
blows warmish air. I know that this is most likely because of a blown
fuse or a breaker.

Where would I find the fuses and how can I replace them?

Thanks!

-Keegan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 6:19 am, Keegan wrote:
Hi,

I have an air conditioner that has an inside unit and an outside unit.
When I turn on the air conditioning the attic fans blow but it only
blows warmish air. I know that this is most likely because of a blown
fuse or a breaker.

Where would I find the fuses and how can I replace them?

Thanks!

-Keegan

There should be a circuit breaker in the AC panel for the outside
compressor unit.
If it's not marked, it should be easy to spot, typically 40 amp, 240V
double breaker.
There may also be another fuse located in a weatherproof box outside
near the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the outside fan isn't running, the compressor may be running
and getting ready to burn out. I'd suggest to call a HVAC repair
company.

What you know (blown fuse or breaker) might be correct. But I can
think of several other things that could be wrong.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Keegan" wrote in message
ps.com...
: Hi,
:
: I have an air conditioner that has an inside unit and an
outside unit.
: When I turn on the air conditioning the attic fans blow but it
only
: blows warmish air. I know that this is most likely because of a
blown
: fuse or a breaker.
:
: Where would I find the fuses and how can I replace them?
:
: Thanks!
:
: -Keegan
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be highly suspicious of the starting capacitor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 10:26 am, wrote:
I'd be highly suspicious of the starting capacitor.

When its on, I don't hear any noise compressor or otherwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

90% of the time the condenser fan just needs a little oil after
sitting idle all winter.

On 3 May 2007 08:49:56 -0700, Keegan wrote:

On May 3, 10:26 am, wrote:
I'd be highly suspicious of the starting capacitor.

When its on, I don't hear any noise compressor or otherwise.

Cheers,
Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 May 2007 07:26:22 -0700, wrote:

I'd be highly suspicious of the starting capacitor.

That's what went wrong on mine. When that happened, the outside fan
world run (indicating it's not the breaker, this unit is wired foe
240V only - no neutral) but the compressor would not.

BTW, it's a good idea to learn to recognize the different sounds. The
compressor will make a deeper sound.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 10:26 am, wrote:
I'd be highly suspicious of the starting capacitor.

When its on, I don't hear any noise compressor or otherwise.

Is the thermostat requesting cooling? If so, it could be the relay in
the unit, but check the fuse or breaker first.

BTW, in my case it's a double-pole breaker in a box outside next to
the unit.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

All things being said, if the breakers aren't tripped, you should call a
qualified HVAC repair person to find the problem. It can range from
something as simple as a low voltage problem [rat in attic cut control line
for example] to something serious [like a burned high voltage connection on
the contactor.] And, if the unit needs any cleaning, refrigerant charge
adjustment, or oil, he could do it then.

--
Zyp

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
news
On 3 May 2007 07:26:22 -0700, wrote:

I'd be highly suspicious of the starting capacitor.

That's what went wrong on mine. When that happened, the outside fan
world run (indicating it's not the breaker, this unit is wired foe
240V only - no neutral) but the compressor would not.

BTW, it's a good idea to learn to recognize the different sounds. The
compressor will make a deeper sound.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

90% of the time the condenser fan just needs a little oil after
sitting idle all winter.

We have a Trane AC and the condenser fan did not run for a while one
day. Then it started running again. I think it was the first hot
day last year.

I had a technician come out and he said that there was nothing wrong
with the unit. He said that the only service I should do is to
clean the coils with a stream from the garden hose.

Should I be oiling the fan on my unit? If so, how do I do it? Thank
you in advance for all replies.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 8:20 am, Daniel Prince wrote:
Joe wrote:
90% of the time the condenser fan just needs a little oil after
sitting idle all winter.

We have a Trane AC and the condenser fan did not run for a while one
day. Then it started running again. I think it was the first hot
day last year.

I had a technician come out and he said that there was nothing wrong
with the unit. He said that the only service I should do is to
clean the coils with a stream from the garden hose.

Should I be oiling the fan on my unit? If so, how do I do it? Thank
you in advance for all replies.

No, because like most motors of this type and era, they are sealed and
not designed to need or accept oil. If they were meant to be oiled,
the tech would have done it.

--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
They were all gourmands!

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have a Trane AC and the condenser fan did not run for a while one
day. Then it started running again. I think it was the first hot
day last year.

The fan did not run at all on a hot day? Some upper end units have fan cycle
switches that do not allow the fan "outside" to come on until the pressure
in the system gets high enough. This is a more efficient setup. Soem fans
come on as soon as the compressor starts "most are this way"

I had a technician come out and he said that there was nothing wrong
with the unit. He said that the only service I should do is to
clean the coils with a stream from the garden hose.

turn the breaker off first and look inside the coil as well. If you have a
double row coil, it will need split and cleaned by a profesional eventually.
Not "Joe Bobs service"

Should I be oiling the fan on my unit? If so, how do I do it?

If the fan motor has a little cap on the side of the bearing housing "end
plates" then they are to be removed once a year and about 3-5 drops of oil
inserted with a Zoom spout oiler. "It's very light oil" maybe 20 weight.
like 3N1 oil.

At the beginiing of the cooling season maybe turn the breaker off and take a
long then screwdriver and insert it through the fand guard and give the
blade a spin. you would be amazed. If the fan turns easily and makes no
noise your bearing are probably good. There can be other reasons for
failure. Faulty Capaciter, open winding in motor, Shorted wires/windings.
Service techs can truely earn the money you pay them....

No, because like most motors of this type and era, they are sealed and
not designed to need or accept oil. If they were meant to be oiled,
the tech would have done it.

Yea, Every tech will do everything perfect. Especially on a Friday after
putting in 12 yours and no lunch break.
I have had bad days... also

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 8:54 am, "Luca" wrote:
[...]

Not a question of doing "everything" perfect. The service call was
specifically for a fan not turning. You'd have to be either totally
incompetent or a cheat to not oil a fan that was meant to be oiled
under those circumstances.

Have you actually seen a residential AC compressor unit in the last
couple of decades meant to be oiled once a year? I haven't.