Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default running fan/light off 1mm

SWMBO has now decided we need a fan/light in the dining area of the
kitchen !! is it OK to still use the 1mm T&E I have or does it need to
go up to 1.5mm? unfortunatley I dont have the rating of the fan as I
havent got it yet!!

other lights off that lighing cct will be a twin 5ft flourescent and
two 300mm flourescent strips under the wall units.(I cant see the tubes
taking more than 100w total)

cheers once again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"dcbwhaley" writes:

No. Depends on the MCB/Fuse. If it is a 10amp then 1mm^2 is not fine.
1mm^2 should be protected by a 6 amp MCB.

It's not that simple. On a 10A MCB, a run of up to 22m of
cable is permitted in the OSG. (1mm^2 can be rated at up to 16A,
depending on circumstances.) In commercial premises where 10A
lighting circuits are more common, the length of cable runs
often exceeds those permitted for 1.0 and 1.5mm^2 cable, which is
why larger cables are often found on such 10A lighting circuits,
but such long lengths would be very unlikely to be an issue in
domestic wiring.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"dcbwhaley" writes:

No. Depends on the MCB/Fuse. If it is a 10amp then 1mm^2 is not fine.
1mm^2 should be protected by a 6 amp MCB.

It's not that simple. On a 10A MCB, a run of up to 22m of
cable is permitted in the OSG. (1mm^2 can be rated at up to 16A,
depending on circumstances.) In commercial premises where 10A
lighting circuits are more common, the length of cable runs
often exceeds those permitted for 1.0 and 1.5mm^2 cable, which is
why larger cables are often found on such 10A lighting circuits,
but such long lengths would be very unlikely to be an issue in
domestic wiring.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Hi Andrew, the total cable length including switch cables will be
around 15m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"Staffbull" writes:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"dcbwhaley" writes:

No. Depends on the MCB/Fuse. If it is a 10amp then 1mm^2 is not fine.
1mm^2 should be protected by a 6 amp MCB.

It's not that simple. On a 10A MCB, a run of up to 22m of
cable is permitted in the OSG. (1mm^2 can be rated at up to 16A,
depending on circumstances.) In commercial premises where 10A
lighting circuits are more common, the length of cable runs
often exceeds those permitted for 1.0 and 1.5mm^2 cable, which is
why larger cables are often found on such 10A lighting circuits,
but such long lengths would be very unlikely to be an issue in
domestic wiring.

Hi Andrew, the total cable length including switch cables will be
around 15m

To answer your original question, 1mm is fine.
Even if you had a 10A MCB on the lighting circuit
(which is unlikely in a home) 1mm would still be fine.

--
Andrew Gabriel

slow running water dk Home Repair 12 January 9th 06 03:01 AM
Cold air blowing outta cold air return vents when blower's not running [email protected] Home Ownership 2 December 19th 05 12:33 PM
Cost of running a heat pump Matt Beard UK diy 16 November 9th 05 08:31 PM
Freezer motor running 24/7 [email protected] UK diy 6 September 16th 05 04:01 PM
Fixing running toilet Sasha Home Repair 4 August 13th 05 05:34 AM