Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Special oil for lawnmower?

The manual for my Honda 4 stroke mower contains the usual advice about oil
(paraphrased here): You can use oil that meets blah-blah-blah specs, but we
recommend Honda oil. When I see stuff like this, I assume they mean "If you
visit the mower shop, you might buy something else so we think you should go
there for oil". I like supporting local businesses, like the one that sold
me the mower, but could there be anything special about Honda oil?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
The manual for my Honda 4 stroke mower contains the usual advice
about oil (paraphrased here): You can use oil that meets
blah-blah-blah specs, but we recommend Honda oil. When I see stuff
like this, I assume they mean "If you visit the mower shop, you might
buy something else so we think you should go there for oil". I like
supporting local businesses, like the one that sold me the mower, but
could there be anything special about Honda oil?

Nothing special about Honda oil. It does make it a little easier to
make sure you are getting the right kind of oil, but you can use the oil
from the auto parts store just as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
The manual for my Honda 4 stroke mower contains the usual advice about oil
(paraphrased here): You can use oil that meets blah-blah-blah specs, but
we recommend Honda oil. When I see stuff like this, I assume they mean "If
you visit the mower shop, you might buy something else so we think you
should go there for oil". I like supporting local businesses, like the one
that sold me the mower, but could there be anything special about Honda
oil?
Hi joe,

Yamaha does the same with all their toys such as waverunners and quads
etc. They always come out with a line stating something to the affect like
this "for best performance and reliability, always use Yamaha products for
your engine" It's a ploy to take more money out of you....Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 02 May 2007 11:42:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

The manual for my Honda 4 stroke mower contains the usual advice about oil
(paraphrased here): You can use oil that meets blah-blah-blah specs, but we
recommend Honda oil. When I see stuff like this, I assume they mean "If you
visit the mower shop, you might buy something else so we think you should go
there for oil". I like supporting local businesses, like the one that sold
me the mower, but could there be anything special about Honda oil?

It comes from the famous Honda Oil Fields in the northern Honda
Province of Japan. It seems that the oil is based on an unusually
large number of Honda trees which lived there millions of years ago
and became part of the pertroleum after they died. While in some
parts of Japan, becoming a Samurai was most highly prized, in Honda
Province the greatest accomplishment was to be Honda Rigger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The manual for my Honda 4 stroke mower contains the usual advice about oil
(paraphrased here): You can use oil that meets blah-blah-blah specs, but we
recommend Honda oil. When I see stuff like this, I assume they mean "If you
visit the mower shop, you might buy something else so we think you should go
there for oil". I like supporting local businesses, like the one that sold
me the mower, but could there be anything special about Honda oil?

It comes from the famous Honda Oil Fields in the northern Honda
Province of Japan. It seems that the oil is based on an unusually
large number of Honda trees which lived there millions of years ago
and became part of the pertroleum after they died. While in some
parts of Japan, becoming a Samurai was most highly prized, in Honda
Province the greatest accomplishment was to be Honda Rigger.

Hybrid Honda trees are the new thing and might affect the type cars
folks drive, thus, hybrid Honda oil. Cuts down on Honda oil to market
time.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
It comes from the famous Honda Oil Fields in the northern Honda
Province of Japan. It seems that the oil is based on an unusually
large number of Honda trees which lived there millions of years ago
and became part of the pertroleum after they died. While in some
parts of Japan, becoming a Samurai was most highly prized, in Honda
Province the greatest accomplishment was to be Honda Rigger.

That's where the wild Nauga used to roam, but all were killed for their
hides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A question on oil was posted and to this I say:
Harley-Davidson were(and are) masters at separating you from your
money when I bought my first H-D in 1969.
Instead of using the common SAE designations for oil viscosity they
used something called Saybolt Universal Seconds. This caused all kinds
of confusion,arguments and bar brawls as no one could agree on what SAE
weight corresponded with Harleys obscure formula's.
I went against the grain and started using Kendall SAE 50 weight in my
bike and I heard from shade tree and pro mechanics that my engine was
toast if I didn't change back to original H-D Pre-Lux, at about 3 times
the price of the Kendall stuff,. Well, I ran the dog snot out of that
bike and kept up with everyone on there Harley oil fed rides and it
still runs pretty well for A nearly 70 year old bike! I should rebuild
her one of these days.
Joe, use auto parts store oil in your engine and save your dough!
Hell,I wager you could use synthetic oil from Wally World and still save
money compared to Honda's oil.

Good Luck!
H.R.

1938 EL Knuck
1976 FLH Baglady
1969 BMW R69S

Posted to alt.home.repair

I worked in A real Philips 66 service station( That was when "service"
meant filing your car with gas,checking the oil and tires and washing
all your glass! Now service is selling lottery tickets and milk) as a
pump jockey in the mid 60's and one of my jobs in the morning was to
fill those jars and put them in wire racks with the little sign on them
telling the other guys if they were detergent or non-detergent, what
weight they were and the brand. We sold Philips oil in 4 types and 6
weights and Pennzoil in at least 6 weights.
I was glad when we went to all canned oil in the early 70's.
I worked there full or part time for 16 years working my way up to
mechanic.

Good Luck!
H.R.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
The manual for my Honda 4 stroke mower contains the usual advice
about oil (paraphrased here): You can use oil that meets
blah-blah-blah specs, but we recommend Honda oil. When I see stuff
like this, I assume they mean "If you visit the mower shop, you might
buy something else so we think you should go there for oil". I like
supporting local businesses, like the one that sold me the mower, but
could there be anything special about Honda oil?

Nope, nothing special. I use a single weight Castrol picked up at the local
auto store.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where I live (Minnesota) it was so cold back then the only thing you
might see while washing the windshield was thermal long johns! and that
was in the summer.

H.R.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

I bet you remember 'bulk-oil" sold in a glass quart jar; maybe 16
cents a jar?

--
Oren

"I don't have anything against work. I just figure, why deprive somebody
who really loves it."

Man, that goes way back. Never used it myself but I remember as a child,
watching my father add oil from a glass jar with a screw-on metal spout,
to our 1951 Nash. He bought a new Chevy in 1959, so that was quite a while
ago.