Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Special oil for lawnmower?

On Wed, 2 May 2007 16:13:46 -0500, wrote:

A question on oil was posted and to this I say:
Harley-Davidson were(and are) masters at separating you from your
money when I bought my first H-D in 1969.
Instead of using the common SAE designations for oil viscosity they
used something called Saybolt Universal Seconds. This caused all kinds
of confusion,arguments and bar brawls as no one could agree on what SAE
weight corresponded with Harleys obscure formula's.
I went against the grain and started using Kendall SAE 50 weight in my
bike and I heard from shade tree and pro mechanics that my engine was
toast if I didn't change back to original H-D Pre-Lux, at about 3 times
the price of the Kendall stuff,. Well, I ran the dog snot out of that
bike and kept up with everyone on there Harley oil fed rides and it
still runs pretty well for A nearly 70 year old bike! I should rebuild
her one of these days.
Joe, use auto parts store oil in your engine and save your dough!
Hell,I wager you could use synthetic oil from Wally World and still save
money compared to Honda's oil.

I bet you remember 'bulk-oil" sold in a glass quart jar; maybe 16
cents a jar?

--
Oren