Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom painting help please

I have a bathroom in my basement. There are no windows in the bathroom, but
I have a 110 cfm fan. I have sanded, primed and painted the drywall ceiling
above the shower 3 times and each time the paint has cracked and peeled. Any
suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you remove all the previous paint in your sanding process?

What type of primer and paint did you use?

How good is the fan working?

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a mildew proof paint made specifically for bathrooms. Comes
in white, but can be tinted also, I believe. Have you tried that?
Prep is everything..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 May 2007 20:35:53 GMT, "Remi" wrote:

I have a bathroom in my basement. There are no windows in the bathroom, but
I have a 110 cfm fan. I have sanded, primed and painted the drywall ceiling
above the shower 3 times and each time the paint has cracked and peeled. Any
suggestions?

Take down the drywall, put up cement board, and tile the ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your suggestions. Here are answers to your questions:

Yes I removed all of the previous paint. I used an all purpose Behr primer.
I used Behr latex paint.

Yes the fan is working fine. It's a brand new Panasonic 110 cfm fan -- the
room isn't that big so the fan is plenty.

Mildew isn't the problem. It's the paint bubbling and peeling.

Removing the drywall isn't an option -- too much work and too expensive . I
know how to paint, but I'd have to hire someone to remove the drywall and
install new cement board.

"Remi" wrote in message
I have a bathroom in my basement. There are no windows in the bathroom, but
I have a 110 cfm fan. I have sanded, primed and painted the drywall ceiling
above the shower 3 times and each time the paint has cracked and peeled.
Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Remi" wrote in message
I have a bathroom in my basement. There are no windows in the
bathroom, but I have a 110 cfm fan. I have sanded, primed and painted
the drywall ceiling above the shower 3 times and each time the paint
has cracked and peeled. Any suggestions?

First...just for the heck of it, have you checked the fan exhaust to make
sure it is venting out of the bathroom? You know, like maybe some
birds/animals have the pipe blocked.

Have you tried using OIL BASE primer with latex over. Or better yet oil
base primer & paint? That is how you seal a wall that has had wallpaper
painted over. The latex paint bubbles if it's not over oil base.

Just a thought. See if others think this may be a good approach.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Remi" wrote in message
Yes the fan is working fine. It's a brand new Panasonic 110 cfm fan -- the
room isn't that big so the fan is plenty.

Remember, for the fan to blow air out, it has to be able to suck air in.
Leave the door open a couple of inches.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Remi wrote:

snip

Mildew isn't the problem. It's the paint bubbling and peeling.

Removing the drywall isn't an option -- too much work and too expensive . I
know how to paint, but I'd have to hire someone to remove the drywall and
install new cement board.

snip

Any suggestions?

Your problem is the drywall, so being in denial about it won't solve
the problem. First of all, drywall work isn't any harder than
painting. Secondly, you probably have the wrong kind of drywall over
the shower. It should have been green board. Cement board is nice, but
may be overkill. Just put up the water resistant green board or
similar, use a setting type mud and fiberglass tape, sand smooth and
paint and enjoy the result. Get some quotes on the work if you're too
busy to DIY and IMO you'll find it isn't all that pricey. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was wondering exactly how you were removing the previous paint adn
what the condition of the drywall underneath it is. I would be using
oil besed primer and paint on the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 May 2007 22:33:49 GMT, "Remi" wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions. Here are answers to your questions:

Yes I removed all of the previous paint. I used an all purpose Behr primer.
I used Behr latex paint.

Yes the fan is working fine. It's a brand new Panasonic 110 cfm fan -- the
room isn't that big so the fan is plenty.

Mildew isn't the problem. It's the paint bubbling and peeling.

Removing the drywall isn't an option -- too much work and too expensive . I
know how to paint, but I'd have to hire someone to remove the drywall and
install new cement board.

Well, if you're not willing to do anyt of the the things that
will fix the problem, then I'd say buy a sheet of that
plastic shower-liner material at the borg store, and glue that
to the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remi wrote:
I have a bathroom in my basement. There are no windows in the bathroom, but
I have a 110 cfm fan. I have sanded, primed and painted the drywall ceiling
above the shower 3 times and each time the paint has cracked and peeled. Any
suggestions?

How long are you waiting after painting before using the shower? If
you want to go "by the book", it takes the paint 14 days to fully
cure.

Also, a better brand of paint might help.

--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 May 2007 20:35:53 GMT, "Remi" wrote:

I have a bathroom in my basement. There are no windows in the bathroom, but
I have a 110 cfm fan. I have sanded, primed and painted the drywall ceiling
above the shower 3 times and each time the paint has cracked and peeled. Any
suggestions?

I too use to think having a fan was good, however, I found that it had
to run afterward too. So I installed a timer, and let the fan run
about 15 mins after showers/baths. This about eliminated all moisture
related issues.

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On 1 May 2007 20:26:00 -0700, Joe wrote:

Remi wrote:

snip

[...]

Amen Brother..

This works.. I've done it in both my bathrooms..

Cemet board on the walls.. Green board on the ceilings..

Painting bathroom? N8N Home Repair 4 April 23rd 07 08:25 PM
need advice about painting bathroom peter p. Home Repair 7 January 8th 06 06:05 PM
Painting bathroom tiles Em Tee UK diy 3 January 2nd 06 12:45 PM
Best practices painting bathroom Allan Cammish UK diy 12 October 5th 04 02:38 PM
Painting a bathroom Jeff UK diy 5 September 25th 03 05:49 PM